Sign in to follow this  
Ken Pryor

GPS with updated fixes, etc

Hello all,

I'm back from another of my long term breaks from FS. I mainly like to fly small GA aircraft and have been using the stock 172 since I started flying again last week. However, I would like to use the GPS with charts (from SimPlates) to fly actual GPS approaches. Unfortunately, the stock FSX not unexpectedly has very outdated intersections and nav aids. I found one thing I thought might update them but it does not appear to have done so. Can anyone either recommend a way to do this or recommend a good add-on GPS or small GA plane with GPS that can have it's nav data updated?

Thanks!

Ken

Another option is to simply update the Navdata using fsAerodata or aero.sors.

That way you can stick with your existing aircraft.  If you go with fsAerodata you'll need a Navigraph subscription and fsAerodata is payware.  aero.sors is freeware, but I'm not sure how it compares in comprehensiveness to fsAerodata.

From what I understand, to keep Flight1 GTN current you'll need a Garmin subscription or find a source for old data. However, I don't own it, so I could be misinformed.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Thanks Ernie, I hadn't heard of fsAerodata. It looks like it's exactly what I need. I already tried the one at  Aero.sors but it didn't do what I needed.

Thank you!

Ken

11 hours ago, Ken Pryor said:

Thanks Ernie, I hadn't heard of fsAerodata. It looks like it's exactly what I need. I already tried the one at  Aero.sors but it didn't do what I needed.

Thank you!

Ken

The only downside is that you need both subscriptions to both fsAerodata and Navigraph. However, Navigraph is used by a ton of aircraft and addons so you'll likely find another use for it.

Give Little Navmap a try if you want an app that can take advantage of both.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Thank you so much! I'll probably go ahead and subscribe. Little Navmap looks pretty interesting as well.