Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Intel/Windows 30% performance reduction

9 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

Sorry guys, can someone explain what is this? I have an 7700K too. I will lose 30% when? What's Intel response to that? I can't imagine they won't fix this.

It is not very clear yet, however you should not get too stressed at this stage.

The issue is with the way the CPU handles the compiled code, normally the CPU can "read ahead" and predict what the new instruction is about and execute it without the need to read the assembler code, think about this as a "Cache" of instructions.

What they found is that this could allow hackers to exploit vulnerabilities of the OS.

So MS, Linux, etc. will need to address this issue, now this doesn't mean that you will lose performance that badly and your simulation experience is going to go to the floor! what this means is that your CPU will need to work harder to execute certain functions as the OS might prevent it from predicting the next code it needs to execute, alternatively MS might patch the OS and leave the code prediction to continue.

We need to wait and don't panic.

Best Regards,
Simbol

Microsoft have already Released a patch on the window insider fast ring testing the patch.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Woah woah woah - That test tool linked earlier in the thread for SA00086 is NOT testing for the just announced CPU issue. The tool is testing for the Intel Management Engine flaw that came out in late November. (Link)

The IME issue is a relatively straightforward firmware patch to plug a hole found in the IME hardware on Intel chipsets. You should consult with your motherboard manufacturer to see if they have a patch available.

The CPU issue is a bit of a different animal, apparently, and I don't believe that there are any recent generation Intel processors which will be immune to it.

-Greg

• Upvote 5

Core i5 2500K NOT vulnerable according to test tool. Ive got a I7 7700K sitting right next to me with a new system all ready to get built...:angry:. My feeling is it probably does not affect most of us not involved in cloud stuff or large database storing as mentioned earlier. We could all probably get away with not installing the patch and be fine. YMMV and do your own diligence.

1 hour ago, Adrian123 said:

At the expensive of 5 to 30% reduction in performance. I believe a recall/exchange is in store!

Nobody knows *exactly* what any patch will do. So far it's just pure FUD which teh interweb will love and speculate about endlessly, even in spite of any facts that may emerge.

I'm sure you can all sue Intel and get money from them. God Bless America :nangis:

• Upvote 1

The suggested workarounds *may* cause performance issues but it is just a workaround and it is intended to immediately eliminate the security risk for a threat which does not exist for desktop users.

I really would not worry about it, wait for a real fix.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

I don`t think the impact on desktop user`s is going to as bad the impact on server based systems, there's talk that Amazon and web system server`s could be impacted, and there is some Fud banding about that it includes CPU`S up to coffee Lake.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

26 minutes ago, bic said:

Not that I believe what any corporation says, but I wondered from the start about the veracity of this story. Key point of doubt in my eyes: "AMD processors are not effected."

Hopefully, this is mostly a click-bait / market manipulation story.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

1 minute ago, MrSpeaker said:

Best news I heard all day. 😊

That test tool is for a completely different issue.