Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Intel/Windows 30% performance reduction

x86 architecture is relevant to CPU`s and has no bearing on 32bit or 64bit which refers to the OS . 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

This recent discovery and possible reduction in performance from a patch had me searching. So it is basically about protecting certain things in memory from malicious running codes. Filtering past all the grave concern and fear inducing articles on what viruses can do and what things to do to protect, explored the possible ways how a harmful code can enter a system to do anything. It seems through all various pathways ultimately an executable file has to be downloaded and executed for anything harmful to happen, for this either the environment has to be set to auto download and run received exe programs or proceeded by user. So we simmers are going get potentially 30% reduction in performance because most PC users leave their OSs to auto execute downloaded programs or are not aware enough to reliably determine which apps are harmful, or am I missing something regarding malwares and viruses? Is all this hype about vulnerability around that?

@him225 check the YT link below it might make things a little clearer.

@0Artur0 no its not a joke, wish it was!

Check this Overview  

The host in the vid had only bench tested the OS patch using an i7 8700k in Win10, early results for the test revealed only marginal performance drops for General use Desktop PC's & Gaming Desktops were relatively the same, the patch appears to mostly affect CPU's in Server Systems, Data centers and the like, unknown yet what performance reductions there might be for older generation CPU's, we shall see.

2 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

Ok, let's say it's all true and the sim is going to run 30% slower. What exactly does this mean? 30% less FPS?

It depends on if you are CPU bottlenecked ;)

I don't see why these patches should have to affect all programs.  There may be a way to isolate software that needs protection and others that don't.  The current fix is just to simply clear the kernel side of the cache.  Not all programs need that, not all systems.  So have a  new check such as "does this program need this level of security".  It all depends on how WIntel tries to cover their butts.  They could leave the vulnerability out there for the masses, and roll out different levels of protection for those that need it and know they need it now.   Maybe there will be a new "gaming mode" that doesn't "fix" anything.

18 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

just downloaded the Intel test tool. yep, vulnerable. 7700k

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27150?v=t

I ran this on my work laptop.  It states that it's vulnerable, but has been patched.  I remember starting in November, I had a Lenovo Intel firmware (bios) update for Intel Management Engine.  I had another update yesterday.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

7 minutes ago, Jethro said:

@him225 check the YT link below it might make things a little clearer.

@0Artur0 no its not a joke, wish it was!

Check this Overview  https://youtu.be/sJzLsyJmu9E 

The host in the vid had only bench tested the OS patch using an i7 8700k early results for the test revealed only marginal performance drops for General use Desktop PC's & Gaming Desktops were relatively the same, the patch appears to mostly affect CPU's in Server Systems, Data centers and the like, unknown yet what performance reductions there might be for older generation CPU's, we shall see.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, our favorite little program likes to use lots of interrupts.  Lots of sharing back and forth between CPU and GPU. :/ 

THE VULNERABILITY CHECK LISTED ABOVE IS NOT FOR THIS ISSUE.  DON'T WASTE TIME DOWNLOADING IT.  

I have downloaded the patch from Microsoft (kb4056892)  and preliminary test with PMDG747 and FSX SE , have not seen any performance hit (subjective point of view) in my system, 6700k, GTX1070 SSD Samsung.

Best.

Miquel Egea.

• Upvote 2

According to the BBC...

Some fixes, in the form of software updates, have been introduced or will be available in the next few days, said Intel, which provides chips to about 80% of desktop computers and 90% of laptops worldwide.

Some researchers have claimed that any fixes could slow down computer systems, possibly by 30%, but Intel believes these claims are exaggerated. It said any performance impacts were "workload-dependent" and the impact for average computer users "should not be significant".

The point to consider is perhaps that  none of us here are "average computer users". 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42562303

My own feeling though is that we will hardly notice any performance hit, if at all. I'm not panicking at all.

• Upvote 2

I'm prospecting for my new build now.  So I'm glad I waited until after Christmas.  I can now wait to see how this blows over, since I've read that the next batch of chips will not be affected, and if it is as bad as some say I can wait.