Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Intel/Windows 30% performance reduction

Yes sure, will not impact people which read emails and do browsing they say.. Really? I am not in that group...

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

I don`t think it`s the home PC user that need`s to worry to much, But the servers and sites that store our info on purchases is the real worry, if you were locking to hack anything that were the problem is a worry.  

PS ARM powers a lot of smart phones.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, rjfry said:

But the servers and sites that store our info on purchases is the real worry

But after they've patched their systems (and it'd be grossly irresponsible of them if they haven't already done so), they're protected and any performance hit they experience isn't likely to be noticeable by end users.

This vulnerability (like many others) relies on the fact that hackers can get unrestricted access to your system - all the more reason to use a firewall and antivirus/malware protection.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

5 hours ago, Johnny19 said:

Actually, it’s already been reported and explained that the trade was done automatically as a prevention to insider trading as per intels own rules. Nothing to see here.

• Upvote 1

Not as bad as some think.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

3 hours ago, vortex681 said:

This vulnerability (like many others) relies on the fact that hackers can get unrestricted access to your system - all the more reason to use a firewall and antivirus/malware protection.

That of course assumes that your anti-virus is capable of stopping every single attack vector, guaranteed.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

23 hours ago, pmb said:

1 year old, time to trash it.

And replace it with what?  There are no new AMD or Intel CPUs that address the issue.

22 hours ago, rjfry said:

Don`t Panic yet.

15-30% pending process, AWS (what we use - Amazon servers) and any virtualization (just about all "cloud" servers) will be impacted, perhaps not as bad as 30%, but even 15% reduction in performance is a BIG deal.

This is definitely a big deal and is real, heck it even made Radio and TV news (which rarely reports on anything remotely technical).  Intel and Microsoft are trying to down play the performance implications but since Intel can't address this via microcode updates and has to be done software side, that means there will be some degree of performance hit whenever shift from hardware to software implementations.

I hope we are provided the KB number so we can avoid the update ... with the implications of assuming the risk of the exploit and using other tools to temporarily block any such exploit on an as needed basis (i.e. web site visits or software installation process only and not applied globally).

Cheers, Rob.

I ran the tool on my 2 week old 8500 system and it reported "already Patched"  Hmmm.   Regards.

M.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

On my 6900K, my 7700K, and my 5960X, and my 7900X (all Win10 Pro 1709 PC's with latest KBs) the "tool" is reporting "This system is not vulnerable" ... but I'm not entirely sure what the tool is testing ... looks to me like it just does checks to see if I have Virtualization turn on in the EFI/BIOS (which I don't).

IntelVulnerability1.jpg.b1f014f51925a0d80c25864de638dcde.jpg

28 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

On my 6900K, my 7700K, and my 5960X, and my 7900X (all Win10 Pro 1709 PC's with latest KBs) the "tool" is reporting "This system is not vulnerable" ... but I'm not entirely sure what the tool is testing ... looks to me like it just does checks to see if I have Virtualization turn on in the EFI/BIOS (which I don't).

IntelVulnerability1.jpg.b1f014f51925a0d80c25864de638dcde.jpg

That tool is looking at the Intel ME issue from last year and is completely irrelevant to the latest CPU issue. At this point it is really confusing the issue and it would be great if the link could be removed.

45 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I ran the tool on my 2 week old 8500 system and it reported "already Patched"  Hmmm.   Regards.

M.

That tool is for a different issue, not this latest CPU problem.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

That of course assumes that your anti-virus is capable of stopping every single attack vector, guaranteed.

Agreed, which is why I take a multi-layered approach. That said, even using something which doesn't block everything is better than using nothing and just trusting to luck.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I left the PC ON, after my  flight today (P3D was closed) and got some rest, after I came, I saw it re-booted.

I checked the EventViewer and... "A reboot is necessary before package KB4056891 can be changed to the Installed state."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-cumulative-update-kb4056891-fixes-meltdown-spectre-on-version-1703-519219.shtml

So more or less mandatory (or by "force") done...

This is the update related to the issue reported, as I see. 

I have Win 10.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

I'm reading report`s that NVidia are patching there next driver update for release, and AMD and INTEL are going to have to go back to the drawing board and re-engineer CPU`s as one of the exploits cannot be patched in software.    

Raymond Fry.