Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Intel/Windows 30% performance reduction

16 minutes ago, rjfry said:

I'm reading report`s that NVidia are patching there next driver update for release, and AMD and INTEL are going to have to go back to the drawing board and re-engineer CPU`s as one of the exploits cannot be patched in software.    

Details? I wasn't aware of any problems with AMD processors.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

5 minutes ago, goates said:

It should be noted that there are two issues, one that affects Intel only and second one that affects AMD, ARM and other processors too.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/meltdown-and-spectre-every-modern-processor-has-unfixable-security-flaws/?comments=1&start=40

An interesting paragraph from the linked article:

The impact of this change will vary wildly depending on workload. Applications that are heavily dependent on user programs and which don't call into the kernel often will see very little impact; games, for example, should see very little change. But applications that call into the operating system extensively, typically to perform disk or network operations, can see a much more substantial impact. In synthetic benchmarks that do nothing but make kernel calls, the difference can be substantial, dropping from five million kernel calls per second to two-to-three million.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Just run some benchmarks now, before the patch is applied for you, just to have a reference, so we can at least compare if there are noticeable effects or not.

On my side, Cinebench results are as following:

Now ( KB4056891 installed): 1903 cb / 197 cb (single core)

Before: 2012 cb / 213 cb (single core)

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, Vali said:

Just run some benchmarks now, before the patch is applied for you, just to have a reference, so we can at least compare if there are noticeable effects or not.

But, as I quoted in an earlier post, "In synthetic benchmarks that do nothing but make kernel calls, the difference can be substantial". You may see a big performance hit in benchmarks which won't necessarily reflect everyday performance or gaming.

So Intel says, no issue on their side, no bug in their hardware... if we will have a decrease in performance is for our own safety, the bad guys which might use the exploit are to be blamed.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/facts-about-side-channel-analysis-and-intel-products.html

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

Is Skynet involved in this?

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Just patched Win10 Pro.  Ran a Firestrike benchmark and actually got a minimal INCREASE in score across the board (GPU, CPU, combined) i.e. basically no change really and definitely not a performance hit.  From what I could tell reading various sources the performance hit is mostly going to affect virtualization stuff.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I wonder how many people [Removed] when reading the title of this topic :) For those of us who don't panic so easily and survived, some more soothing numbers:

https://www.techspot.com/article/1554-meltdown-flaw-cpu-performance-windows/

Edited by Poppet
Removed Insensitive comment. don't say that again
  • Upvote 1

Roman Heriban
Prepar3D v4 | Windows 10 | 1080Ti & 8700K at 4800MHz
FSLabs A320, Active Sky + Sky Force 3D, MCE, PF3, ChasePlane, etc.

sbsim.com

2 hours ago, sbs9 said:

I wonder how many people [Removed] when reading the title of this topic :) For those of us who don't panic so easily and survived, some more soothing numbers:

https://www.techspot.com/article/1554-meltdown-flaw-cpu-performance-windows/

Interesting reading. All of the games tested had at least the same performance after the patch and some actually performed better! Not quite the doom and gloom that was predicted.

More benchmarks: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/windows_vulnerability_cpu_meltdown_patch_benchmarked,1.html. The maximum loss of performance post-patch was only 3% and most tests were less than this. The Time Spy benchmarks were slightly better after the patch.

Prepar3D loose a few fps on my machine (~40 -> 37) with the new patch on my machine.
As I figured out, the Windows patch was only the first step. BIOS / EFI updates with new microcode will follow. I'm already curious how much performance they will cost. Could still be a nasty surprise...

On 04/01/2018 at 4:21 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

I hope we are provided the KB number so we can avoid the update

Ignore. Jayz2cents got the KB number wrong. Relese is said to be Jan 9th though.