Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Intel/Windows 30% performance reduction

So what is the "official" KB number or are there multiple?

KB4056892 was updated on a couple of my PC's but not on my Skylake based PC ... I suspect there might be more than one patch and the KB number might be specific to hardware (CPU/chipset).

Cheers, Rob.

It is saying KB4056892 for win 10\64, Another statement from the industry.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/microsoft-apple-amazon-downplay-meltdown-spectre-performance-hits,news-57639.html

My advise wait till it`s rolled out most likely next Tuesday.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

That update was applied to my PC today, Friday 5th January.

26 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

So what is the "official" KB number or are there multiple?

KB4056892 was updated on a couple of my PC's but not on my Skylake based PC ... I suspect there might be more than one patch and the KB number might be specific to hardware (CPU/chipset).

I'll have to verify again when I get home tonight, but I'm fairly certain KB4056892 is what installed on my 6700K. Are you running W10 on that computer?

It seems there is one patch but it will only install to PCs with either compatible or compliant 

anti virus software. That might be the reason for the odd one out.

Today's Windows 10 update is KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192).

Copied and pasted from the Microsoft link from my Windows update page, not guessed.

Update yes I check my windows update and there it was waiting, download test flight around my test route for tweaking UK2000 EGKK to det VOR left to EGLC then left to EGLL all on max settings. FTX UK ,  road Traffic on Default AI on max, I could not see any performance loss or issue`s PMDG 747-400 aircraft used for test flight panned view`s and VC no loss of performance I can detect . 

Raymond Fry.

This is the official Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) bulletin on the issues--which are two similar hardware vulnerabilities now named Spectre and Meltdown.  Interestingly, when CERT first put up the bulletin, it said that the solution for the Spectre vulnerability was to replace the affected hardware...that comment has since been removed; read into that what you will.

CERT: Vulnerability Note VU#584653 - CPU hardware vulnerable to side-channel attacks

Pretty much any Intel CPU that would be suitable for running FS produced since the Pentium Pro (circa 1995) is affected.  Some AMD CPUs are also affected, and Apple announced that all of its current iOS and Mac products are affected.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3 minutes ago, w6kd said:

running FS produced since the Pentium Pro (circa 1995)

Oh, no worries then, so 85% of the FS community is NOT impacted ... sorry I couldn't resist (hehehe).

1 hour ago, Chaos81 said:

Are you running W10 on that computer?

Yes Win10, I'll need to check, it might be MalwareBytes isn't considered "compliant" (whatever that means) ... I do seem to recall that my PC's that did update are Windows Defender ONLY (the PC's I don't care much about) and the PC's that didn't update were on MalwareBytes (the PC's I do care about).

Cheers, Rob.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-meltdown-spectre-fix-how-to-check-if-your-av-is-blocking-microsoft-patch/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_related&ftag=TRE3e6936e&bhid=27625978934995391464497802853015

As Microsoft warned this week, it's not delivering its January 3 Windows security updates to customers if they're running third-party antivirus, unless the AV is confirmed to be compatible with it.

Microsoft's testing found some antivirus products were producing errors by making unsupported calls into Windows kernel memory, resulting in blue screen of death (BSOD) errors.

Third-party Windows antivirus products need to support Microsoft's security update and set a Windows registry key for customers to receive the update via Windows Update.

Microsoft hasn't said which antivirus products are compatible beyond its own Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Asus Ai Suite 3 doesn't run after the patch.

Tested Cinebench, which I understand should suffer a hit and it was virtually nothing, 1%. 

I am on Norton`s and it did not affect the patch update.

Raymond Fry.

Check the date and the link to Intel.

Raymond Fry.