Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Intel/Windows 30% performance reduction

My work laptop is Windows 7 Enterprise and got the update.  I had to uninstall as it just felt sluggish especially web pages in chrome.  The cpu was would go up to 90% right away doing anything.  It was all over the place all the time, almost never seeming to take a break even when typing. It's an i7-4710MQ.  I tried going to turbo and disabling some services not needed anymore, that did not help.  We will be looking at getting onto Win 10 sooner.

Oddly, MS applications, well specifically SQL Server Management Studio seemed to be somewhat ok.  Well, scratch that loading files the File->Recent Menu froze for a minute.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

1 hour ago, addman said:

Good to know that I won't be upgrading my whole AMD platform to an Intel platform in the foreseeable future. I know AMD is affected too, to a certain degree but it's Intel who's playing a shady game right now. I have an Asus B350-F board so I don't have to upgrade that part, or any other, when I will upgrade to the next generation (Ryzen 2) of Zen-based CPU's. Feel sorry for Win7 users still sitting on Haswell, which are still relevant, or older platforms, they'll most likely have some sort of noticeable performance degradation. 

Because I was looking to upgrade my 4790K to an 8700K this year when this whole thing came out I took a serious look at AMD since I haven't had them since 2007.  Threadripper looks great for multi-threaded but the fastest AMD chip still shows 25% slower in single threaded benchmarks than even my 4790K which is important of course for flightsims or at least FSX.  So I really don't know what to do other than wait at this point maybe for an Intel 9 series chip or something.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

On 1/8/2018 at 6:16 PM, vortex681 said:

My comment wasn't only about the latest Intel problems but about many issues that arise and are discussed here. Some of the online articles I've read recently make it seem as if the end of the world is nigh! The very title of this thread ("Intel/Windows 30% performance reduction") is just scaremongering as far as the average home user is concerned. If the title had said "Intel issue may cause performance reductions in certain circumstances" that would have been much more sensible and realistic.

Next time I will carry out a survey to ask what would be the best title ... :cool:

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

20 hours ago, flyinion said:

Because I was looking to upgrade my 4790K to an 8700K this year when this whole thing came out I took a serious look at AMD since I haven't had them since 2007.  Threadripper looks great for multi-threaded but the fastest AMD chip still shows 25% slower in single threaded benchmarks than even my 4790K which is important of course for flightsims or at least FSX.  So I really don't know what to do other than wait at this point maybe for an Intel 9 series chip or something.

I have a Maximus X Code and 8700K to install. I don't regret this decision one iota. I expect a barely noticeable reduction in performance. Meanwhile. AMD PC's are being bricked by the updates.

On 2018-01-13 at 7:17 PM, martin-w said:

I have a Maximus X Code and 8700K to install. I don't regret this decision one iota. I expect a barely noticeable reduction in performance. Meanwhile. AMD PC's are being bricked by the updates.

What do you mean "AMD PC's are being bricked by the updates."? Haven't heard anything about that. I've heard that people who are using old Athlon and Turion CPU's (from like 2008?) are having performance issues, sure but just as you I haven't noticed much of a difference either and I'm on a AM4 platform with an AMD Ryzen CPU.

14 hours ago, addman said:

What do you mean "AMD PC's are being bricked by the updates."? Haven't heard anything about that. I've heard that people who are using old Athlon and Turion CPU's (from like 2008?) are having performance issues, sure but just as you I haven't noticed much of a difference either and I'm on a AM4 platform with an AMD Ryzen CPU.

Microsoft are blaming it on faulty AMD documentation. 

See this thread...

1 hour ago, ashepherd316 said:

i have a 7700k and it says im vulnerable what do i do.

You don't have to do anything, Microsoft are already distributing software updates through Windows Update to mitigate these issues. If you're on Windows 7 or 10 you're probably already updated.

5 hours ago, addman said:

You don't have to do anything, Microsoft are already distributing software updates through Windows Update to mitigate these issues. If you're on Windows 7 or 10 you're probably already updated.

The MS update is only part of the required fix. Your system or motherboard manufacturer also needs to provide a microcode update to complete the patch.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Asus provided BIOS update for my Maximus VIII HERO two days ago (cpu microcode updated is one of the fixes). Haven't noticed any issues after updating. Using i7 6700K 4.6 GHz.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

29 minutes ago, Johnny19 said:

Asus provided BIOS update for my Maximus VIII HERO two days ago (cpu microcode updated is one of the fixes). Haven't noticed any issues after updating. Using i7 6700K 4.6 GHz.

That's reassuring as I also have that CPU/motherboard combination. I'm normally not a big fan of BIOS updates unless they're absolutely essential but this seems like a good enough reason to do it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

That's reassuring as I also have that CPU/motherboard combination. I'm normally not a big fan of BIOS updates unless they're absolutely essential but this seems like a good enough reason to do it.

Hope the update goes painless for you as well :)

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

I installed the BIOS update yesterday for my motherboard, completing the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerability protection. My question is, has anyone done testing before and after the update to check for loss of FPS in Prepar3D? 

Also, in case there is a significant drop, does it mean that by reverting to the previous BIOS we cancel the performance drop?

• Upvote 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

12 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

I installed the BIOS update yesterday for my motherboard, completing the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerability protection. My question is, has anyone done testing before and after the update to check for loss of FPS in Prepar3D? 

Also, in case there is a significant drop, does it mean that by reverting to the previous BIOS we cancel the performance drop?

Why not just try it yourself and see how it performs for you? Because of the almost infinite number of possible PC configurations, even if someone else sees no effect (or a big effect - much less likely), that doesn't mean that it will be the same for you. You only need to look through these forums to see that users with almost identical systems often get very different performance.