Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Intel/Windows 30% performance reduction

I'd be surprised if the next generation Intel CPUs still had the Meltdown vulnerability - they'd be hammered mercilessly by the press. Not to mention the fact that they'd have absolutely no excuse for not fixing it this time. It's one thing to say that it was a performance decision at a time when no one expected the potential vulnerability to be exploited. It's quite another to say that you're happy to continue including a known security flaw in your new products.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel is redesigning their CPUs to "combat" Meltdown and Spectre ... Cascade Lake series and 8th Gen that should be out 2nd half of 2018.  But apparently Intel is being pro-active and have setup R&D specifically around "hardware" security and expect to evolve it over time and resolve performance related issues resulting from high levels of security.  I believe AMD are also committed to new CPU designs to increase security.

Cheers, Rob.

Did you read the link? Intel have said they are NOT fixing this in silicon, relying on software patches instead. I quoted the relevant section.

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/cpus/intel-details-spectre-meltdown-silicon-fixes/1/

Interestingly, however, these parts will not be completely immune to exploitation: Krzanich has confirmed that Variant 1, the bounds check bypass aspect of the Spectre vulnerability, will continue to rely on software mitigation being present in the host operating system

Edited by CloudSurfer

4 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I believe AMD are also committed to new CPU designs to increase security.

Correct.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3253285/hardware/amd-plans-silicon-fix-for-spectre-vulnerability.html

AMD announced on its quarterly earnings call that it intends to have a silicon fix for the variant 2 of the Spectre exploit, the only one of the Meltdown and Spectre exploits it’s vulnerable to, by 2019 with its new Zen 2 core.