Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

The Sky is the Limit

5 minutes ago, FlightSimDimm said:

I was really hoping that Prepar3d would include this in their next release....

https://simul.co/main/truesky/

After running FSW occasionally, I am not sure I would like LM to include this. Promotion images are nice, of course. However, terrain in FSW looks snow-covered seen through clouds even in Summer, and the clouds are boiling and wafting quickly and unnaterally.

I am not in a position to judge if this is the fault of Simul or Dovetail, but I know I don't like it. Even the default Prepar3d sky and clouds look better overall.

Others may disagree of course.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

16 minutes ago, FlightSimDimm said:

I was really hoping that Prepar3d would include this in their next release....

https://simul.co/main/truesky/

This relates to my original point. I don't think that there is much more that a 3rd Party Dev can do to enhance P3D weather.

I think that any major "weather" update will have to come from LM themselves by overhauling the core sim.

1 hour ago, FlyBaby said:

However, if SF3D took 3 years to develop, then I wonder what more can really be done by any 3rd party Dev to “radically” transform P3D’s sky in the near future.

I very much doubt they spent 3 "man years" worth of effort on development, so it's quite likely HiFi could release ASP5 later this year which leapfrogs whatever it is that REX have done.

• Upvote 1

Matthew S

2 hours ago, pmb said:

After running FSW occasionally, I am not sure I would like LM to include this. Promotion images are nice, of course. However, terrain in FSW looks snow-covered seen through clouds even in Summer, and the clouds are boiling and wafting quickly and unnaterally.

I am not in a position to judge if this is the fault of Simul or Dovetail, but I know I don't like it. Even the default Prepar3d sky and clouds look better overall.

Kind regards, Michael

Same here Michael, I have tried FSW a few times and have enjoyed it.  However, the immersion that TrueSky provides isn't as breathtaking as I had hoped, the core of the sim does look great though.

\Robert Hamlich/

I don't remember much pre-release hype about Envtex in fact I think the first time I saw it on Simmarket I said to myself, "who are these guys?" and what a pleasant surprise it turned out to be! I'm not concerned in the least, and now that we have a 64bit platform I think this will be the year of much/many improvements!

RE Thomason Jr.

4 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

With the recent release of SF3D and no announced major updates from HiFi. I don’t think we have anything else coming up in 2018 for weather / cloud advances in P3D.

I currently run ASP4 / ASCA, but I do have Rex TD & SC as well as Rex’s older Essentials.

This is not a debate over which combo is the best; that opinion will differ and we have been there / done that here many times. They “all look pretty good” to me along with their own set of limitations (like performance).

However, if SF3D took 3 years to develop, then I wonder what more can really be done by any 3rd party Dev to “radically” transform P3D’s sky in the near future.

My concern is that “nothing” more can be done with P3D regarding the weather while maintaining good performance (30 fps for me). I think we have hit a plateau with respect to sky enhancements for P3D.

FlyBaby, I assume you're not familiar with HiFi's business model, which is vastly different than their competitors.  For the last decade, HiFi has released a new weather engine about every 2.5 years.  In the last 8 years alone, we've gotten ASE, AS2012, ASN and AS2016.  These products were not announced until they were within weeks of release; to that point, there were no exaggerated claims or hyperbole advertisement announcing their development.  Instead, we got a black and white list of the software capabilities and an opportunity to test it for 7 days before purchasing.   My Point?  HiFi's silence doesn't equate to much...it's simply how they've operated for the last decade.  While I'm at it, I'd like to thank them for how they operate, which to me is as important as the quality of the products you release.  In short, I doubt HiFi doesn't have something planned for the next year....

• Upvote 6

Matt King

4 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

Spot on, Michael!! I can't believe more people haven't commented on this! Didn't DTG FSW have any other choices? The default FSX clouds are an upgrade compared to "True Sky".

Michael.  

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

6 hours ago, vgbaron said:

stay tuned............

Vic

You cheeky b...... 😉

Eric 

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

You cheeky b...... 😉

:biggrin:  we all know that most good stuff comes through Avsim first. This is a new year and I fully expect our dev's to start showering us with all sorts of goodies down the pike.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

17 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

That is ofcourse a first time implementation of Truesky in a sim that is still in early access. Personally I think this combo has huge potential. But yes, for now it can look very bad.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

4 minutes ago, Alexx Pilot said:

It seems like REX guys are working on a new Weather Engine from the ''Force'' series...Weather Force, isn't that?

Correct. However, they've been working on SkyForce for something like 2.5 years and their 'revolutionary' SimAir has been announced in 2011 or so already and STILL isn't finished (the site is still online so I suppose they are still working on it...?) so I wouldn't hold your breath for Weather Force.

22 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

As someone already stated, that sim is still in early access and future updates should address the current issues.

I think that LM will need to take a similar approach (be it partnering or developing something in-house) to transform P3D at the core level to make major advances in weather / sky / clouds while maintaining good performance.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, even if I had the perfect Wx engine - I wouldn't use it.  The reason is that I dislike real world Wx so much.  I prefer to use Themes and especially the ORBX ones and tweak them to my liking.

Cheers
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER