Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

AS + SF entering Full overcast

AS with cloud draw distance set to 200 miles with very little hit on FPS SF with "Enhanced Overcast Clouds Bases turned ON. FL340

112.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

• Upvote 5

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

David, when you launch ASPv4 each time does it trigger ASCA Full Dynamic theme to download? Or you don't want ASCA anymore after installation of SF textures meaning you don't want them to be overwritten? Is there a trigger in SF to start after ASPv4 each time and infuse current weather-related textures like it was the case with ASCA?

Thanks,

Igor.

Edited by Dirk98

I start ASPv4 and ASCA auto starts. I then close ASCA and then start SF. Then start P3D. I also turned all option off in ASCA just to make sure.

As an high flyer FSL/NG being able to use cloud draw at 200 is a sim changer. I hated the 110 mile bubble I had.

• Upvote 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I start ASPv4 and ASCA auto starts. I then close ASCA and then start SF. Then start P3D. I also turned all option off in ASCA just to make sure.

David, i still didnt find an answer about sky textures. Does SF inject sky textures as well like ASCA ? 

Roi Ben

1 minute ago, roi1862 said:

David, i still didnt found an answer about sky textures. Does SF inject sky textures as well like ASCA ? 

No 100% sure what your asking but for me SF has replaced ASCA, But due to redraw/WX AS is still the best weather engine we have. Happy to sit back and see what HiFi, REX or anyone else brings out to set a new level in a weather engine or cloud art. Competition is great.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

David, i still didnt find an answer about sky textures. Does SF inject sky textures as well like ASCA ? 

Roi, from what I've gathered so far SF infuses textures once at the beginning of P3D session. They are (perhaps) wx-related. And no, they don't get overwritten in the course of a P3D session like ASCA textures do.

I think I should get SF though, their textures look incredible.

Igor

16 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

There's a box or setting in ASCA where you can just disengage autostart.

PS: Does SF also infuse Sky textures?

Edited by Dirk98

2 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Roi, from what I've gathered so far SF infuses textures once at the beginning of P3D session. They are (perhaps) wx-related. And no, they don't get overwritten in the course of a P3D session like ASCA textures do.

I think I should get SF though, their textures look incredible.

Igor

Thanks Igor, i guess ill stick with ASCA for now... Yes the SF textures does look nice but i still want the verity according to the weather that ASCA does.

Roi Ben

When you use SF it does not inject 1 texture for upper and 1 texture for lower. This is what we had up to now. SF seems to inject 8 of each.

It's always been more noticeable with upper clouds I remember OPUS had an option to even turn them off.

Here you can see all the upper textures are all different and that's very nice to see. No copy and paste/repeat that I hated.

xxx.jpg

Here you can see the sets for upper as you see it seems to use 8.

sf-clouds2.jpg

25 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

and sky textures? Are they also weather dependent like asca?

Perhaps, but not Dynamic like ASCA, at least if you use them with ASP4 my understanding is.

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

AS with cloud draw distance set to 200 miles with very little hit on FPS SF with "Enhanced Overcast Clouds Bases turned ON. FL340

112.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

Thanks for posting.

I posted my question below in another forum not realising it was a FSX forum.

I’ve been trying to gather information reading through the forums about how well SF and AS work together since REX stated that they spent a lot of time making sure SF was compatible with other 3rd party WX engines. Unfortunately I see too many posts of only negativity from people who haven’t even bought it yet so I stop reading any further.

My first question is about texture performance.. I fly mainly in VR so performance is a major factor and in the past I’ve chosen one basic soft cloud texture just to keep up FPS in cloudy stormy weather. If I chose a nice white fluffy thunderstorm (non soft cloud) texture from REX’s textures direct my FPS takes a dive.

Second question.. relates to using AS as the WX engine. Has REX made SF compatible enough with AS that it will inject the appropriate cloud textures into the sim on the fly just like ASCA. (That’s really cool technology) I don’t really know how this works, but do you think SF randomly throws in a cloud texture or is AS calling for a particular texture from SF based on what WX is forecast.

I saw a post last night with pictures from a flight (NWWW to YSSY) that showed some very nice storm cloud build ups which I’ve never been able to achieve before because I’ve needed to use only one basic cumulus FPS friendly texture.

Another problem I have with AS & P3Dv4.1 is if I tick the Cloud Structures box in AS settings I loose all low level clouds and need to reinstall P3D again to get them back so I leave this feature unchecked. I’m hoping AS and SF will still work great without the structures box being ticked. I assume structures has a lot to do with the storm build ups appearance.

Thanks

IM

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

As an high flyer FSL/NG being able to use cloud draw at 200 is a sim changer. I hated the 110 mile bubble I had.

Your shots are great and this 200 Nm visibility option is definitely worth trying. But why not leave ASCA running with only "Sky Textures" option enabled ? In this way one can benefit form the sky textures variety that ASCA provides and at the same time use AS16 as weather engine and RSF as cloud textures with the Sync textures option enabled... 

Ezio

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

14 minutes ago, Eziocin said:

Your shots are great and this 200 Nm visibility option is definitely worth trying. But why not leave ASCA running with only "Sky Textures" option enabled ? In this way one can benefit form the sky textures variety that ASCA provides and at the same time use AS16 as weather engine and RSF as cloud textures with the Sync textures option enabled... 

Ezio

For me SF replaces ASCA, I don’t want them trying to work together. As you can see AS + SF work well imo I don’t want to add anything else in the mix.

30 minutes ago, Iceman2 said:

Thanks for posting.

I posted my question below in another forum not realising it was a FSX forum.

I’ve been trying to gather information reading through the forums about how well SF and AS work together since REX stated that they spent a lot of time making sure SF was compatible with other 3rd party WX engines. Unfortunately I see too many posts of only negativity from people who haven’t even bought it yet so I stop reading any further.

My first question is about texture performance.. I fly mainly in VR so performance is a major factor and in the past I’ve chosen one basic soft cloud texture just to keep up FPS in cloudy stormy weather. If I chose a nice white fluffy thunderstorm (non soft cloud) texture from REX’s textures direct my FPS takes a dive.

Second question.. relates to using AS as the WX engine. Has REX made SF compatible enough with AS that it will inject the appropriate cloud textures into the sim on the fly just like ASCA. (That’s really cool technology) I don’t really know how this works, but do you think SF randomly throws in a cloud texture or is AS calling for a particular texture from SF based on what WX is forecast.

I saw a post last night with pictures from a flight (NWWW to YSSY) that showed some very nice storm cloud build ups which I’ve never been able to achieve before because I’ve needed to use only one basic cumulus FPS friendly texture.

Another problem I have with AS & P3Dv4.1 is if I tick the Cloud Structures box in AS settings I loose all low level clouds and need to reinstall P3D again to get them back so I leave this feature unchecked. I’m hoping AS and SF will still work great without the structures box being ticked. I assume structures has a lot to do with the storm build ups appearance.

Thanks

IM

I would suggest you don’t try using ASCA with SF.

I tried using it with Rex soft clouds but ASCA works best with itself or envtext.

Use AS with SF, set textures within SF at DTX5 and a res of 512. You then should be fine.

I don’t see better FPS than AS , ASCA plus soft clouds but with SF I can go from a cloud draw distance of 110 to 200 with minimal effect on FPS.

• Upvote 1