Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

Ulimate Traffic On FSX and Prepare3D4 at the same time

Hi all,

I have been using UT2 on FSX and have now installed Prepare 3D4. I wish to keep FSX in operation until I am ready to move permanently to Prep3D when I am more familiar with it. I have UT2 working nicely in FSX and have purchased UTL for use with prepare 3D. I have a concern that installing UTL in Prep3d4 may threaten or destroy my FSX UT2 installation.  I would be most grateful if any members shed any light or give any advice on this potential hazard or am I just suffering a bad case of paranoia.

John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

OK sounds like a plan but the same question applies, how do I install UT2 in Prep3D without any chance of upsetting UT2 in FSX ?

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

32 minutes ago, yellowjack said:

OK sounds like a plan but the same question applies, how do I install UT2 in Prep3D without any chance of upsetting UT2 in FSX ?

If the UT installaton is on the same machine, you don't have to install it a second time. All you have to do is to add the same UT2 module to Prepar3D and to make the UT2 aircraft models visible to P3D.

The way to go would be to use an add-on.xml like this one:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
  <AddOn.Name>UT2</AddOn.Name>
  <AddOn.Description>UT2 exe and content</AddOn.Description>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>EXE</Category>
    <Path>(1) path to the UT2Services.exe</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>SimObjects</Category>
    <Path>(2) path to the ut2 aircraft folder</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

-  (1) The UT2Services.exe usually is in the UT2 program directory, possibly "C:\Program Files (X86)\Flight One Software\Ultimate Traffic 2\UT2Services.exe"

- (2) The path to the UT2 aircraft can be used in two ways: either reference them directly in your FSX installation (...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\UT2Aircraft) or make a copy of that folder and use that path instead.

- If you are using Windows Notepad to create this file, remove the first line ("<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>"). This line is only relevant if you use an advanced editor and really save the file in UTF-8 encoding.

Save this file to "C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\UT2\add-on.xml" and you are done.

Alternatively feel free to use the Lorby "P3D Addon Organizer" to create this file.

As for your first question: installing UTL in Prepar3D should not create a conflict with UT2, it uses a different program folder.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Thanks that gives me plenty of scope to make a decision. Your help and knowledge is much appreciated.

John

If you buy the new UT Live you can use it on all versions of FS and P3D with just one install.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I have just followed the install procedure mentioned above and it worked flawlessly.

I copied my UT2 Traffic file from FSX-SE to P3D v4 SimObjects to simplify paths.

Thanks for the heads up, was dreading to have to spend more money.

Bob York

I tried to take this advice and use it but haven't had any success so I would appreciate if someone could look this over the file which is saved as an .xml file.

SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>EXE</Category>
    <Path>(1)FSX_Win10\FSX\Flight One Software\Ultimate Traffic 2\UT2Services.exe</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>(2)PREP3D\UT2 Objects\Ultimate Traffic 2\Aircraft</Path>
    <Path>(3)PREP3D\UT2 Objects\Ultimate Traffic 2\Tankers</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Would an XML speaker like to point out my error(s)

File saved to "C:\Users\John\\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\UT2\add-on.xml" .

John

2 hours ago, yellowjack said:

I tried to take this advice and use it but haven't had any success so I would appreciate if someone could look this over the file which is saved as an .xml file.

SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>EXE</Category>
    <Path>(1)FSX_Win10\FSX\Flight One Software\Ultimate Traffic 2\UT2Services.exe</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>(2)PREP3D\UT2 Objects\Ultimate Traffic 2\Aircraft</Path>
    <Path>(3)PREP3D\UT2 Objects\Ultimate Traffic 2\Tankers</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Would an XML speaker like to point out my error(s)

File saved to "C:\Users\John\\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\UT2\add-on.xml" .

First: the beginning is missing (the part before SimBase.Document)

Second: In the <Path> tags there must be the actual file system paths, fully qualified (=starting with the drive letter). The (1)s and (2)s were only to illustrate that you have to put them there, these numbers are of course not part of the string.

Third: you cannot have more than one Path in the same Addon.Component. If you need more paths, add another Component of Category "SimObjects"

Fourth: Instead of trying to hand-write XML files, may I suggest that you use my P3D Addon Organizer tool? It is available for free on the Lorby-SI website. You must get the text encoding right too, and only advanced text editors can do that - meaning, you can't write an UTF-8 encoded XML file with Windows Notepad.

Example: I don't have UT2 installed on this computer, and I have no idea where you have installed your stuff, but the file should look something like this. Please take note of what the <Path> tags actually have to look like and replace my example paths with the actual ones from your computer.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document id="add-on" version="4,0" Type="AddOnXml">
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>EXE</Category>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Flight One Software\Ultimate Traffic 2\UT2Services.exe</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\UT2 Objects\Ultimate Traffic 2\Aircraft</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\UT2 Objects\Ultimate Traffic 2\Tankers</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Many thanks for your help. I apologise for my ignorance but the last time I cracked code was in the mid seventies using Cobol & Fortran.

John