Sign in to follow this  
Mischung

Will Intel design flaw influence P3D performance?

What I have not yet understood is the following. I bought my 7700K a year ago.

1) When this 30% decrease happened? It was a -30% since the time I installed it due to hardware? Or the problem appeared later by Win10 updates?

2) Will the upcoming patch regain the lost performance? In what cost?

3) If I move to Win7, will I see better performance?

There should be some clear answers to these questions. Someone should know.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

P3D will just have to change to rely more on GPU like other modern games.

1 hour ago, JoeFackel said:

Nobody forces you to update your Windows 10.

If a Simmer uses a clean dedicated Windows-Installation as i ALWAYS highly recommend for his Flightsim-System there is no need for updates and you can enjoy the full power of your Intel CPU also in the future ;-)

Not true. In W10 Home you cannot reject any important automated update.

• Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Although Nvidia is not 100% certain yet that GPUs are unaffected

9 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Not true. In W10 Home you cannot reject any important automated update.

There are several tools (i recommend "ShutUP10" from O&O) where you can easily switch off windows updates, also on W10 Home.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

20 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

1) When this 30% decrease happened? It was a -30% since the time I installed it due to hardware? Or the problem appeared later by Win10 updates?

Patch has not been released to the public yet. I would say there would be multiple patches at this point. The up to 30% decrease will be a result of the patche(s).

Eric 

Is the loss of performance only happens AFTER the patch is out? So if we choose to live with the vulnerability, no performance problems?

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

46 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

That may apply for real hacker targets like corporations etc. but not for Joe Average's Flightsim-Installation (!) running a few hours per weak. There is a higher risk to get your home PC destroyed by an lightning than being target by an hacker. They go for valueable targets.

You have absolutely no formal training in computers do you? 

41 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

That may apply for real hacker targets like corporations etc. but not for Joe Average's Flightsim-Installation (!) running a few hours per weak. There is a higher risk to get your home PC destroyed by an lightning than being target by an hacker. They go for valueable targets.

All it is required if for you to open a website that had a "adware" Trojan (Facebook, Google app store and Windows App store had suffered from this in the pass) or clicking on a phishing link attack and your PC is done, besides the majority of income for hackers don't come from corporations, it comes from the normal user at home who personal details or credit cards get stolen everyday in a matter of seconds.

During the day I work as the Corporate Security and Network Administrator (plus main developer lead role) for an International firm, and during the last 4 years I had always always viruses, malware or adware for every single user at our company that bring their home devices for inspection because their were not using any antivirus or left their windows updated disabled.

Once again my recommendation is to always keep your PC's updated and with an antivirus running.

Best Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 1

This is a ridiculous topic Btw. Chances are this won't affect home users as much as data centers. Your computer is not going to come to a screeching halt and this isn't y2k. 

So it looks like there is a Windows 10 update available, it’s not patch Tuesday...

34 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

Daedalus, 

1) 30% is a figure estimated by some researches, this is yet to be determine by your current workload, at this stage we don't know how it will affect the Flying Sim community. The problem is OS independent, the issue is with the CPU and your 7700K is affected as all Intel CPUs are affected.

The drop in performance will happen when:

A) Your Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 10 (1703 or 1709) applies the patches 

AND

B) You installed the required firmware microcode upgrade provided by your hardware vendor.

So yes, just installing the patch don't fix the security problem (which is very severe!), you need to apply BIOS updates to your PC for the MS patches to be "ACTIVE" and protect your PC.

2) This is uncertain but we require Intel, AMD and ARM to redesign their CPUs for this reason I don't see any further patches allowing you to regain the performance as they cannot risk it and wait until CPU vendors create a new CPU type (which can take years).

3) Windows 7 is also affected and will receive the same patch, so the answer is no.

If you want to read all the technical details please follow this: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/ADV180002 

Microsoft explains with great detail what is required to be protected and what OS systems are being patched, I am now chasing DELL for Firmware updates to secure the company I work for Data centres in 12 offices around the world, a hell of a task, Dell was clueless, I had to explain them how MS patches work and they are now on the case, Google jumped the gun and released the security advisory too soon.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Patch has not been released to the public yet. I would say there would be multiple patches at this point. The up to 30% decrease will be a result of the patche(s).

Patches are available to public, you can download them manually and they will be appearing soon via automatic windows update.

This is for Windows 7 for example: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056897 

Now servers will not enable the OS Patches automatically (they will get installed but in a disabled state) unless you order them to do so, this is to protect data centres from massive suden losses, also as I explained earlier you require firmware updates to enabled the OS patches, which will need to be provided via hardware vendors.

Best Regards,
Simbol

4 minutes ago, simbol said:

All it is required if for you to open a website that had a "adware" Trojan (Facebook, Google app store and Windows App store had suffered from this in the pass) or clicking on a phishing link attack and your PC is done

See, and EXACTLY that is what is always happening: the user clicking on a link of an dubious website, opening an attachement from an email etc.

Read AGAIN my post:

For internet surfing, emailing etc. you should have an other OS installation, via Multiboot you can have this on your Flightsim-Hardware. As long as you use your Flightsim-Installation responable you can't even drop the AV software and still let it be online for weather data, IVAO etc.

And BTW, i'm an corporation admin myself for nearly 20 years now, i know what i'm speaking about.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png