Sign in to follow this  
Mischung

Will Intel design flaw influence P3D performance?

I was talking to a friend of mine that works in Microsoft some minutes ago and he told me that for now nothing is assured, apart from the intel flaw, for now theres no know exploit for this vulnerability, of course this can change in the next minute, doing the security update that "protects" your SO from this can(or not) have performance impact, from their tests, more than half of the computers dindt had differences in the performance behaviour, and they did get different results in some computers with the same CPU's, so also depends on what you are running.

Had several persons that called me asking my opinion, and what i suggest for now(for personal computers) is not to update de last windows patches until we have more news, extra carefull on you visit or open on those!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

4 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

for now theres no know exploit for this vulnerability, of course this can change in the next minute.

I think this needs clarification, the vulnerability exists as this is a well known problem.

What you MS friend means is that until now MS don't have any information that indicates that this vulnerability has been exploited.

Best Regards,
Simbol

3 minutes ago, simbol said:

I think this needs clarification, the vulnerability exists as this is a well known problem.

What you MS friend means is that until now MS don't have any information that indicates that this vulnerability has been exploited.

Best Regards,
Simbol

Yes, no know exploit means that they dont have any informantion :P, doesnt mean theres no exploit already, even a zero-day exploit can already been there for some time!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

47 minutes ago, simbol said:

If you want my personal advise there is no performance loss that would be worth loosing any private details or information due to a security breach, your security and personal information is far more important than anything else.

Agree, but if "protection" can be performed via alternate methods on an as needed basis, that would be a good alternative as the "fix" doesn't need to be sweeping.  However, I'm not sure that can be implemented in such a manner and still be relatively "safe".

IMHO, a real fix is going to need to happen at the hardware level (as in new physical CPUs) and we'll not see that for at least 12 months or more as I doubt Intel or AMD could make such an adjustment so quickly at the hardware level (testing would be the primary time consumer).

From what I've seen the performance impact is 15-30% pending the operations, virtualization and I/O operations being the most impact.  No idea yet how this would impact P3D or XP11 or any sim ... probably depends on how much I/O thrashing is done.

Lets just hope Microsoft provide adequate identification of the KB or KB's that will address the issue and lets hope Intel/Microsoft can come up with solutions that don't impact performance "as much", but either way, there will be some type of performance hit until new hardware is available, the question is just how much of a hit ... wait and see.

Cheers, Rob.

BIOS updating... how many are going to screw things up messing around with that process.... Oh boy! 

• Upvote 1

Eric 

4 minutes ago, B777ER said:

BIOS updating... how many are going to screw things up messing around with that process.... Oh boy! 

Me.

I COULD do it but would avoid the risk. I'd ask the shop instead.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

For those that are interested this is a full guide explaining how to check if your PC is fully patched: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-check-and-update-windows-systems-for-the-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-flaws/

For Windows 7 the patch number is KB4056897

For windows 10 1607 the patch number is KB4056890

For Windows 10 1703 the patch number is KB4056891

For Windows 10 1709 the patch number is KB4056892

IMPORTANT: Don't install any of these patches manually until you verified your AV solution is compatible, otherwise you will receive a Windows Blue Screen error and you will be unable to boot your PC, if you see your relevant patch number via the Windows Updates panel it means that MS determined that your AV is fully supported and you can install the patch.

Best Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 1

Bios updates may impact over-clocking. This may be a double whammy. 

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

If this all pans out then the processor producing company execs must be throwing parties all over the world. I can not even imagine the potential dollar impact on government, business and yes brother...you and me. It is way too early to start jumping off the roof but think about it! In my home alone..3 computers, 2 cell phones, 2 smart TV's all with bad processors. My two retirement checks and my wifes job depends on these flawed processors. Now that the "cat is out of the bag" and hackers are going to be all over this, the picture is more alarming. I am not to sure I want to book a flight on an A320 or other modern jets for the near future. Yea...most likely they can stick a sock in the hacker hole but will the nav systems be updating at -30% or how about the ATC system running at a -30% rate. The sky may not be falling and I am thinking that our fears for the performance of our flight computers may pale when you think of all the things that this could affect. Just something to think about??

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

6 minutes ago, simbol said:

For those that are interested this is a full guide explaining how to check if your PC is fully patched: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-check-and-update-windows-systems-for-the-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-flaws/ 

Thanks for the link. I'll have to run the powershell test tonight to verify the update is working properly.

• Upvote 1

This week, I was building an online shopping cart for a new 8700K / 1080TI custom build, in anticipation of purchasing and installing P3D v4 later this month.

Looks like I'm putting those plans on hold for now until full data on the performance impacts (especially from the P3D perspective) is available. I might just wait until 2019 when the redesigned hardware chips come out, sigh...

37 minutes ago, DesertPilot85 said:

This week, I was building an online shopping cart for a new 8700K / 1080TI custom build, in anticipation of purchasing and installing P3D v4 later this month.

Looks like I'm putting those plans on hold for now until full data on the performance impacts (especially from the P3D perspective) is available. I might just wait until 2019 when the redesigned hardware chips come out, sigh...

Yep...you me a probably a few million  others.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/