Sign in to follow this  
Mischung

Will Intel design flaw influence P3D performance?

31 minutes ago, simbol said:

The difference is now the exploit is well known and Hackers are aware that not everybody is patching given the complexity and risks involved, they also known that there is not current fix for the Spectre vulnerability for at least one week or perhaps more.

However, the fact remains that hackers still need to get access to your system to exploit the vulnerability. The test systems used to discover this type of vulnerability usually run without firewalls, antivirus or malware protection and trying to exploit a well-protected system in the real world is usually significantly more difficult.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 hours ago, vortex681 said:

However, the fact remains that hackers still need to get access to your system to exploit the vulnerability. The test systems used to discover this type of vulnerability usually run without firewalls, antivirus or malware protection and trying to exploit a well-protected system in the real world is usually significantly more difficult.

Hackers are getting more and more creative all the time. Remember the CCleaner infection from last year?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/09/ccleaner-malware-outbreak-is-much-worse-than-it-first-appeared/

4 hours ago, Uteman said:

This is incorrect - the flaw was discovered in October 2017 and impact all CPUs that use a particular architecture and based on some reports that includes AMD and ARM processors as well as Intel. It is an absolute race between the white and black hats - it always is with these discoveries that why the white hats try to keep it quiet till they have proved the fix.

Some of the flaws were discovered and reported to the CPU manufacturers last June.

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.ca/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html

6 hours ago, simbol said:

Preliminary tests after installing the windows 10 Patch:

...I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Simbol

Simbol,

I hope you'll forgive me for this, but I love that paint scheme...the B/W image on the tail.

Is this an actual livery or a custom paint?

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

1 hour ago, RichieFly said:

Simbol,

I hope you'll forgive me for this, but I love that paint scheme...the B/W image on the tail.

Is this an actual livery or a custom paint?

Actual, you can get it with the PMDG livery manager.

Simbol 

6 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Incorrect, Mozilla had to provide an emergency patch yesterday to prevent hacks that would allow cyber criminals stealing information via just simply Java script.

Another problem is that what is regard as access to your system is simple achievable by a  cheap trojan via malicious content, link, attachment or similar attacks.

Simbol 

2 hours ago, tooting said:

I bet you I.T boys are loving this aren't you 

I hate this, you have no idea the nightmare I am going through at work.

Simbol 

1 minute ago, simmerhead said:

Thanks very much.

Something to be appreciated. Installing now...

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

32 minutes ago, simbol said:

I hate this, you have no idea the nightmare I am going through at work.

Simbol 

Ha ha mate... That's why you're all on that good money.  Jokes aside.  What a nightmare! 

The 2 IT guys who look after our OCC this morning looked stressed as hell

14ppkc-6.png

31 minutes ago, simbol said:
2 hours ago, tooting said:

I bet you I.T boys are loving this aren't you 

I can't begin to imagine the mental torment that financial institutions/stock markets etc. are going thru right now waiting for the fix. The potential problem is knee bending for all developed entities and I suspect layered sandboxing is being escalated throughout most organisations whilst still trying to comprehend the exposure at whatever level and still trying to do business in today's world.

I personally am glad I am retired and only have to worry about my own protection at the mo, and of course the v4 performance on my machine LOL.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

15 minutes ago, RichieFly said:
18 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Thanks very much.

Something to be appreciated. Installing now...

I enjoyed the link very interesting and a good promo for them I imagine. Would love to see Jorn Utzon and Amy Johnson available - for the Aussie connection of course.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

In case anyone hasn't already mentioned this...

Microsoft will be issuing their fix on the 9th January. The day before my birthday, lol.

The update will be: KB4054022

Haswell and newer CPU's will receive a smaller performance hit. The higher end the CPU the less it will be affected.

So worst hit will be older than Haswell and lower end CPU's.  

According to Jayz2cents, it's believed that the patch for this will point hackers in the right direction. They may well then try to reverse engineer the patch to get in.

This is another informative source for anyone who wants a bit more background and description ( in lay terms) on Meltdown and Spectre exploits:

https://meltdownattack.com/

A.Chryss - near YSCB