Sign in to follow this  
Mischung

Will Intel design flaw influence P3D performance?

Hi!

I just read some things about the revealed Intel design flaw and wondered if it will affect the performance of P3D in a noticeable manner?

As far as I know it is about the caching of memory mapping for applications and the kernel.

In my understanding this should tax programs with a lot of access to kernel functions (hd access, etc.).

Hope we won't get an additional parking brake with the next patchday on Tuesday (estimated) :bengong:

Marc

Marc Weber

P3D is extremely dependent on optimal hardware performance, so it is safe to assume that it will affect computers with "bad" CPUs. Two steps forward with P3D v4, and one back with Intel...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Nobody forces you to update your Windows 10.

If a Simmer uses a clean dedicated Windows-Installation as i ALWAYS highly recommend for his Flightsim-System there is no need for updates and you can enjoy the full power of your Intel CPU also in the future ;-)

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Most simmers are dependent on an Internet connection so I would stronly advice against not keeping your Windows up to date at all times. You never know who or what will bring malware to your system.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

13 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

P3D is extremely dependent on optimal hardware performance, so it is safe to assume that it will affect computers with "bad" CPUs. Two steps forward with P3D v4, and one back with Intel...

30% sounds a little bit more than just one step back though...

31 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Except that ALL CPUs are bad, including AMD and ARM this is affecting other brands not only Intel and any CPU.

The fix also requires hardware vendor microcode updates to enable the software patches.

So it is not a easy fix either, bad times for anything related to computers.

Simbol 

33 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Most simmers are dependent on an Internet connection so I would stronly advice against not keeping your Windows up to date at all times. You never know who or what will bring malware to your system.

For internet surfing, emailing etc. you should have an other OS installation, via Multiboot you can have this on your Flightsim-Hardware. As long as you use your Flightsim-Installation responable you can't even drop the AV software and still let it be online for weather data, IVAO etc.

Since years i use my OS (W7 SP1 for BMS and W10 1609 for P3D) without AV and without Windows Updates flawlessly and during flying they are online the whole time.

The only thing you need is a good Router with an decent firewall which is configured right and your safe from malicous software.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Just now, JoeFackel said:

The only thing you need is a good Router with an decent firewall which is configured right and your safe from malicous software.

This is a bad advise, any well designed Trojan (which hackers can buy ready to deploy on the dark-web) can bypass in a couple of mili seconds any mid-size corporate router, so it will do this even more easily with any home router device.

The best protection is to close any ZERO-Exploits vulnerability by installing all windows updates on the operating system and having an antivirus.

Best Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 6

5 to 30% slowdown of your PC once you download the patch when its released. Good articles for those that want to know whats going on are below. Only way around this will be new chip design in the future. Anything we have now will see a slowdown in performance.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/04/intel_amd_arm_cpu_vulnerability/

• Upvote 1

Eric 

1 minute ago, B777ER said:

5 to 30% slowdown of your PC once you download the patch when its released. Good articles for those that want to know whats going on are below. Only way around this will be new chip design in the future. Anything we have now will see a slowdown in performance.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/04/intel_amd_arm_cpu_vulnerability/

Correct, and this article https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/list-of-meltdown-and-spectre-vulnerability-advisories-patches-and-updates/ will give you even a better overview of the difficult tasks ahead to mitigate this problem.

Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, simbol said:

Correct, and this article https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/list-of-meltdown-and-spectre-vulnerability-advisories-patches-and-updates/ will give you even a better overview of the difficult tasks ahead to mitigate this problem.

Regards,
Simbol

I love this part of the Intel press release about the performance impact, "Contrary to some reports, any performance impacts are workload-dependent, and, for the average computer user, should not be significant and will be mitigated over time."

See the buzz words there folks? Workload dependent and average computer user is buzz phrases that apply to people using their computers for internet and using MS office apps. This statement I can assure you does not apply to a application like P3D and all the background processes we have running with it. As sure as I am sitting here, this will impact us greatly. 

• Upvote 1

Eric 

8 minutes ago, simbol said:

This is a bad advise, any well designed Trojan (which hackers can buy ready to deploy on the dark-web) can bypass in a couple of mili seconds any mid-size corporate router, so it will do this even more easily with any home router device.

That may apply for real hacker targets like corporations etc. but not for Joe Average's Flightsim-Installation (!) running a few hours per weak. There is a higher risk to get your home PC destroyed by an lightning than being target by an hacker. They go for valueable targets.

Signature3.png

If this is true then all users will have to get refunds for the bad arhitecture... Some of us paid a lot to get the hardware they own. A 30% slowdown is unimaginable...

• Upvote 3

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

3 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

That may apply for real hacker targets like corporations etc. but not for Joe Average's Flightsim-Installation (!) running a few hours per weak. There is a higher risk to get your home PC destroyed by an lightning than being target by an hacker. They go for valueable targets.

This is an extremely incorrect perspective. Malware distributors specifically target home users en masse with very sophisticated scanning tools on whole IP subnets to find vulnerable machines to use in botnets. Firewalls are good but most scans/attacks begin with HTTP/HTTPS connections made from the home computer.

If your computer is connected to the internet and you are making outbound connections with a browser, it is irresponsible to avoid security updates to the operating system.

• Upvote 3

@JoeFackelC'mon Joe. This is "whishfull" thinking. If you are online then you are open to any kind of threat. We payed a decent amount of money for HW and SW which should be as safe as is can be and offer the advertised functionality acc to the spec.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech