Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

5GHz Overclock and cooling

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Leaving the cover off is referred to as bare die mounting, which isn't done very often and not advised. It can damage the die. 

I second this. It's very VERY easy to crush the die if you don't know the exact pressure tolerances. 

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

12 hours ago, Dougal said:

I also used a smear of silicon, making sure NOT to let it even semi set before clamping IHS back down.  Didn't want anything at all trying to keep those mating surfaces apart.  I made that mistake with my 6700k and do it again:-(

Yep, I'm sure you've seen those bonkers delidding videos, where they run a thick line of silicone around the entire perimeter and then are bemused as to why the temp didn't drop much.

Worse still was Linus Tech Tips, where Linus used ordinary TIM he had lying around, so not liquid metal, plus a thick layer of silicone... then proclaimed delidding was a waste of time.  :biggrin:

15 hours ago, lodestar said:

Hey, those are exactly my settings and temps with 2700K @4.8GHz..

Hi Zeljko,

Yeah - same processor - I've been running my 2700K @ 4.7Ghz with the simple - one setting - OC where the mobo manages the voltages... With a Noctua the temps were around 80C under load - been running that way for about five years now... That top end Sandy is a real work horse...

Honestly - with my top end GTX970 it handles P3Dv4 with the usual suspects of addons and realistic settings pretty nicely... The real reason for my upgrade is I'd like a 21:9 or 4K view on the world so I figured I'd need some more horsepower...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

16 hours ago, scottb613 said:

I've been running my 2700K @ 4.7Ghz with the simple - one setting - OC where the mobo manages the voltages

Yes, i tried that for a few days and i saw some very high Vcore and decided to do it manualy. I like it much better this way, my temps are arround 65C under load :happy:

On 1/4/2018 at 9:16 AM, Dougal said:

I think understand, how to use Intel SpeedStep, combined with Adaptive and Offset cpu Voltages’. 

This is exactly what I want to do with my 8700K....problem is I have no idea where to start.  Can you point me in the right direction (I realize it is a different chip).  I also don't really want to delid but also will be fine with 4.7 or 4.8 so I think that will be ok to leave the chip as original.  

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

9 hours ago, MarkW said:

This is exactly what I want to do with my 8700K....problem is I have no idea where to start.  Can you point me in the right direction (I realize it is a different chip).  I also don't really want to delid but also will be fine with 4.7 or 4.8 so I think that will be ok to leave the chip as original.  

If all you need is a 4.7 GHz overclock with the 8700K, then simply enable XMP and make sure Multi Core Enhancement is on. That way the board will run all cores at the max Turbo frequency of 4.7 GHz. Plus all power saving features will be enabled. Make sure Windows is set to Balanced though, if set to max performance it wont clock back and drop voltage.

Of course, with MCE on, Asus (or other board manufacturer) will be guessing the required voltage and basing it on their auto rules. For this reason, gradually tweaking the voltage down can reduce temp. 

Nice manual overclocking guide below at 5:05

XMP plus MCE and voltage and frequency will drop when not under load. You can always tweak the voltage down after if you desire. Not sure if Auto Rules uses offset or adaptive. In ether case you can tweak it. 

I'm upgrading Mark. Asus Maximus X Code and 8700K... will probably be installing on Monday. Overclocking after. I'll have more to say then. 

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

Thanks for the link Martin, I definitely want the voltage to drop back down when not under load.

Hi Mark.

I agree with Martin.  If you're only looking for 4.7GHz (certainly enough), then you certainly don't need to delid, and just do exactly as he suggested.  I've always had success going with his suggestions too.

I only kept going up with GHz for 'fun' and to experiment.  TBH, with P3D, I don't see any difference between 4.7 & 5 GHz

I think I am getting 4.7 now anyway with the default boost on the 8700K chip.  I checked CPU-Z and it showed 4.7 while flying P3D.  Is this correct that I don't have to do anything?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

I think I am getting 4.7 now anyway with the default boost on the 8700K chip.  I checked CPU-Z and it showed 4.7 while flying P3D.  Is this correct that I don't have to do anything?

Speccy will show the speed of each core and it is very easy to use.  Portable version works great... look in the "CPU" section.  Very handy tool from the folks who make CCleaner.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy/builds

Greg

2 hours ago, MarkW said:

Asus boards have MCE on auto, so on by default. In which case all cores will be running at the max turbo frequency of 4.7.

There's the option to enable MCE when you set XMP in the UEFI too.

If MCE is off, only one of the cores will run at 4.7 and the others somewhat lower.

If you wish to confirm, you can check if MCE is on auto in the UEFI.

I have overclocked my 8700K to 4.8Ghz on 1.28 volts following the Gigabyte OC guide.  This guide does not use setup that allows the chip to throttle down when not under load (although the voltage might).  Running P3D v4 I am getting core temps of Mid 40's - Low 50';s on cores 0,1,2 & 5.  cores 3 & 4 are running anywhere from mid 40's to low 60's.  So my question is this....are these temps too high?  My chip is not delidded.

Edit - I do have Hyperthreading enabled and running Affinity Mask of 3028. Which seems to have very low activity on Cores 0,1 and heave on core 2 - thread one.  About 75% load on rest of the cores.

Mark W   CYYZ      

17 hours ago, MarkW said:

I have overclocked my 8700K to 4.8Ghz on 1.28 volts following the Gigabyte OC guide.  This guide does not use setup that allows the chip to throttle down when not under load (although the voltage might).  Running P3D v4 I am getting core temps of Mid 40's - Low 50';s on cores 0,1,2 & 5.  cores 3 & 4 are running anywhere from mid 40's to low 60's.  So my question is this....are these temps too high?  My chip is not delidded.

Edit - I do have Hyperthreading enabled and running Affinity Mask of 3028. Which seems to have very low activity on Cores 0,1 and heave on core 2 - thread one.  About 75% load on rest of the cores.

I can't comment on the AM3028, but those temps are great Mark.  They'll probably be a little higher when first loading the sim, but those temps are good.