Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Grounded today in Eastern Maryland

Wow! Not very much snow, but still gale force winds and blizzard conditions.  And temperature is plummeting....  Time for a flight from say Lakeland, FL, to perhaps the Cayman Islands!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Frank,

I hear ya - New York City... It's supposed hit -10F/-23C at my home upstate over the weekend...

69ov21.jpg

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 2

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Frank. I hope your virtual flight is/was enjoyable.

+

I dusted off my crock SIM, FS9, FSX Steam before Christmas. My light stol and I have been grounded since September with life.

I love the SIM for keeping my head in the game, since I am visual learner.

Anyway recently I started pushing myself to see if I can add some visual reality and enjoyment to my SIM flying.

The Tile Proxy project looked promising, BTW I have hit a wall in my learning curve or I am too late for that application.

About a year ago I tried combining FS9 and GE, with FS9 in an unlocked window for the real controls; there is a YT video of the Tampa area, using this --- I think it's blocked now and I forgot how.

+

Where I live north of Lake Huron, Steams scenery is missing fundamental waterways, which I use in real-time for my downwind and base. So for pragmatic practice I use FS9.

The earth mapping photos have become much better for our wilderness area.

After I eat brunch I will dive into my dungeon...Minus 21 cel and windy. Yesterday we were close to Florida temps in the Panhandle at 29 F (:

Cheers,

David

CYEL

Toucan Twin

My first time on here maybe since last century (:

Hi Frank,

Well we have been getting quite a bit since about 2100L last night so we as of now have gotten just under 5 inches here in Salisbury/Fruitland just about an hour east of you.  I have not not been able to fire up the simulator, but plan on doing so a bit later to see how the newest weather texture addon- SkyForce integrates with AS4.

With the temps dropping the roads are going to be a beast especially since cleaning crews are having a challenging time keeping them clean due to the high winds.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

4 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Frank,

I hear ya - New York City... It's supposed hit -10F/-23C at my home upstate over the weekend...

69ov21.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Scott. With the higher elevation in Riverdale near Manhatten College, We are getting pounded.

rCSVWiS.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Benzhangar said:

Scott. With the higher elevation in Riverdale near Manhatten College, We are getting pounded.

Hi Tyrone,

Yeah - ouch - looks bad - I'll be shoveling when I get home tonight provided Metro North keeps running... I went out to grab some food for lunch and could barely open my eyes enough to see... Good luck - stay warm...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott 

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Looks and sounds pretty bad from what news I can gather, here on the other side of the Pond.

Stay safe (and warm) everybody and take care of yourself.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

53 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Good luck - stay warm...

:wink:

Likewise Neighbor. 

---------------------------------

15 minutes ago, darrenvox said:

Lots of snow though....good to see but I'm not sure it's good for driving like you say

Totally agree Darren.

I like  to fire up ASP4 in historical weather mode and go back and visit these days in P3D. Lots of fun shooting approaches in weather I would never fly in IRL. I must say that to me, ASP4, ASCA and Envshade make it as real as I want it to be.

A real tribute to the guys who HAVE to fly in this weather.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Take it easy out there. We didn't get it so bad in terms of snow down here in Bergen county. Only 4 inches I'd day, but the winds are blowing fierce and I'm forced to go slow with the blower lest it all blows right back where it came from.

Scott, can't believe you had to commute in, with this system!

7 hours ago, ElliotlakeCYEL said:

Frank. I hope your virtual flight is/was enjoyable.

David. I am too much of a purist with my virtual flying.  I fly with real world weather and as close to real world time as possible.  So could even think about flying out of my local airport, KESN, Easton, Maryland.  And I did not want to make the mistake the C340 pilot made recently out of Bartow, Florida....

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I did my rain dance yesterday because we've been having the worst drought for a long time, it worked because now we are getting some rain, not enough but some. When it is dry like this eventually the fires will come which is my worries.

Cold are is shifting further south in the north for you guys, and hot air is shifting further south in the Southern Hemisphere for us so we are hotter then usual while you are getting colder then usual. I guess that just evens everything out as the global average remains the same, just shifted and out of axis a wee bit.

Matthew Kane