Sign in to follow this  
Pineapple_Wizard

Landing the 777, what's going on?

Everyone with the issue that the thrust levers aren't at idle... even when the autothrottles are set to NOT to be moved while in hold and all that, you can stll move them to idle and full thrust with the F1 and F4 keys. Maybe a bug, maybe not. But a good one. If you are using a registered FSUIPC you can take advantage from this. Set your throttle axis to have a small null zone at idle so that it won't flutter. 

Then if you have a reverser axis, set it like this:

16977335_182578503.jpg?1514203483 

This is the same as you would press F1 and the thrust lever "warps" to F1, whereever it stands at touchdown. Note that I gave the axis a little null zone too, even before sending "throttle cut" so it won't interference with my normal thrust axis. and moving it back to idle it will send F1 again to bring you out of reverse safely. 

If you check the video I posted, you can notice at 0:10 that my throttle are set to idle. To be sure, I usually press F1 and try to reverse using F2 key. You can ear it in the video at around 0:23 when you the reverserser trying to engage.

I need to find some time to fly again this bird and post a new video with the upper ECAM popup shown.

The only way I manage to nose down the aircraft was when I start to manual brake the plane (at around 0:31).

I'm quite sure we need to look at the gear friction possible issue.

Alf DAGNON - Flight enthusiast

VA France - AF024

17 minutes ago, AF024 said:

If you check the video I posted, you can notice at 0:10 that my throttle are set to idle. To be sure, I usually press F1 and try to reverse using F2 key. You can ear it in the video at around 0:23 when you the reverserser trying to engage.

I need to find some time to fly again this bird and post a new video with the upper ECAM popup shown.

The only way I manage to nose down the aircraft was when I start to manual brake the plane (at around 0:31).

I'm quite sure we need to look at the gear friction possible issue.

If you mean at the video in the first page, then yours looks like a differnet problem. Was that a replay video from inside the sim?

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Yes, exactly. It was on FSX SP2. I didn't check for the 744 (as I prefer fly the 777), but when I found some spare time, I'll send a precise ticket and will try to record it with popup screens.

Alf DAGNON - Flight enthusiast

VA France - AF024

On 1/13/2019 at 11:10 AM, Olympic260 said:

All that you have the issue. Check your engine N1. If your engine N1 is not in idle the reversers will not deploy. Also please not of all you complaining about the issue only one opened a ticket and we were able to reproduce. If no ticket is opened that we do not know to check..

For now make sure your N1 is in idle and will look at it for the next round of 777 update

Nice! There are some 777 updates in pipeline? 😉

I think I have resolved this issue. It looks like Prepar3D has an issue related to control assignment.

I noticed that when I set my hardware throttle to idle position, the throttle in virtual cockpit of 777 is not set in idle position. It is moved forward a little bit.

So what I have done:

1. I deleted throttle assignments through Prepar3D and reconfigured it through FSUIPC.

2. I set 'MANUAL THROTTLE OVERRIDE' option to 'NEVER' in FMC PMDG menu.

After the actions above I have completed 4 landings without having this issue.

Oleksandr Kovieshnikov

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

On 1/23/2019 at 2:51 PM, Alexko said:

I think I have resolved this issue. It looks like Prepar3D has an issue related to control assignment.

I noticed that when I set my hardware throttle to idle position, the throttle in virtual cockpit of 777 is not set in idle position. It is moved forward a little bit.

So what I have done:

1. I deleted throttle assignments through Prepar3D and reconfigured it through FSUIPC.

2. I set 'MANUAL THROTTLE OVERRIDE' option to 'NEVER' in FMC PMDG menu.

After the actions above I have completed 4 landings without having this issue.

Calibrate your throttles carefuly through FSUIPC.  If your throttles in the 777 are moved a bit forward in the idle position, then it's a calibration issue. After you have calibrated them correctly you can set the manual override option to HOLD mode as it should be.

Joona Väisänen

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Add me to the list of FSX users with perfectly calibrated systems who have an unlandable 777. Calibrated through FSUIPC exactly the same way that the 737 and 747 are set up, both of which behaved flawless at all times, in every mode, manual or AT.

2 flights: last night ESNQ to ESSD. Landing VOR Z at ESSD. Disconnected AP/AT at minimums (foggy day so 487 RA). Touchdown and rollout perfect, sublime. Autobrakes, Speedbrakes and reversers all  working in sweet synchronization. One of those big grin moments after a zero visibility descent. I could have kissed the plane!

Tonight ESSD to ESSV. Landing VOR/DME ILS 21. Disconnected AP/AT at 500 feet as soon as I got visibility. Touchdown same procedure exactly as last night except this time...engines just went idle, plane speeded UP from landing ref 142 to 168 by end of runway. NOTHING would slow the plane as I careened into the scenery. VERY disappointing. 

Next flight I will again use a NON ILS approach to see if this helps. If I get this issue on a non ILS approach I will quit using the plane until there is positive confirmation that something has actually been recognized and fixed for this. Just finished 6 weeks non stop NGX FCOM training till I could fly that bird blindfolded. Bulletproof plane, tested every which way to land and did so several hundred times without a scratch.

When I first got this plane I had no issues at all a couple years back. Only after returning from a year hiatus and installing updates has this problem surfaced. 

To repeat, the VOR landing was flawless...the ILS landing a total failure despite exact same procedures and control intervention in both cases.

Edited by sloppysmusic

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Unlike the 737/747, Boeing recommends you keep the A/T engaged even if the A/P is disconnected. This is discussed in the FCTM.

PMDG has found that the very basic spring landing gear modeled in FSX/P3D (think C-172 landing gear) creates problems in a very specific landing scenario where the aircraft is over rotated and the touchdown will result in the simulator creating a bounce back followed by an oscillation that reduces the ground friction.  Most users will never experience this, but when it happens it is troubling.   They have found it due to user experience with the 747 but I am sure that the 777 is susceptible as well.

The solution is usually less nose up rotation. See the picture on FCTM pg 6.10, typical attitude at 50 ft is nose up 1-2 deg and at touchdown attitude in the flare is nose up 4-5 deg, which is a flare of only 2-4 deg.

Dan Downs KCRP