Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Approach into KDFW

Here is a series from my latest flight using the ever-useful RXP GTN.  For reference (I mentioned in my last post but not everyone views every post, hehe), The GTN usually sits on my lap on a tablet, I drag the screen onto the main view for the screenshots to reference how I'm using it for navigation).

Here is the tail end of my KJFK to KDFW flight.  I did it to see if I could fly out of the storm on the East Coast that has so many flight cancelled...Did not get screens of the departure ( but it was a blast...an  "arctic" blast. hehe)

Lined up on final 35 Center.  Here I displayed the chart for the ILS, you can see the chart view as well as the map view show the aircraft's position, very handy. :)

aZdSHi.jpg

Almost there....crabbing into the crosswind....For those who know the area...that is 183 I'm just about to pass over.  Totally unrealistic as it's not crammed with bumper to bumper traffic!

BNOVnG.jpg

Short final now...an AA 737 in new colors taking 35L for departure...with a classic AA 737 holding.

Joz4g5.jpg

Over the numbers...feeling for the runway.  With 13,401 feet to work with, you can afford to float a little, hehe.  that AA turned out to be an Airbus!  I know in real life (at this moment) 35C is closed for maintenance, but I like this runway, and its flightsim. :laugh:

Notice how the GTN is all ready to guide me thru a missed approach with a click of a button, so nice!

OW6Vjp.jpg

Clear of 35C and holding to cross 35L...that Classic AA 737 just rotating in front of me.

Ground called and said "Citation 5811, cross 35L,  right on Lima, left on Yankee, taxi to the Corp Aviation ramp.  So I popped over to the Safe Taxi® screen to monitor my position...invaluable tool on a huge mass of concrete like KDFW and a dizzying array of taxiways.

O8UlOe.jpg

As I was taxiing I had a little time to kill....so I popped into the Fuel Planing page to see how my fuel burn was.

UqtZKz.jpg

Turning on to Yankee....almost there....

gg3XJj.jpg

Nobody puts Baby in the corner!  Oh wait...I guess the rampers at DFW do, LOL.   The GTN even shows you in blue text boxes what the buildings are...in this case the DFW Corporate Aviation center.

SzvWN7.jpg

Sorry for the heavy jpg compression and bad rez on the screenshots....with a 55" monitor at 4K...full screens with no compression would be megabytes huge...I try to keep my screens under 250k.

Will post my KTEX>KJAC trip shortly.

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Fantastic stuff, Steve!  I'm reminded of Jack Nicholson's line from "Batman":  "WHERE DOES HE GET THESE WONDERFUL TOYS".  :)

I've found all the other stuff, but what are you using for traffic?  And to your other post, have a look at waypoints around KATL..  :)

-Scott Brandenburg.

Hey Scott!

Thanks!  Yeah I did get a lot of toys this holiday season thanks to all the sales!

I'm using Ultimate Traffic Live.  I still have the last beta version, havent bothered to update to the release version yet.  I like the app, does all I need, although I still need to take some time and fine tune it.

Yeah I remember Atlanta has some good ones, Braves and Gone with the Wind related if I recall.

Hope you can get back into flightsimming again soon...it's come such a long way since we simmed together ...uhhh decades ago? :blink:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Oh, I'm back in, baby.  :)  Just upgraded equipment - new Digital Storm rig that took "maxed-out" frame rates in P3Dv4 from upper teens to over 120-140 in some areas..

I normally shy away from GA stuff, but your recent shots have me thinking.  I still like playing with the big iron, but it's fun buzzing around in smaller stuff too.

I even joined my "Virtual Alma Mater", and am having great fun flying routes.

Need to get together somehow and catch-up.  A lot has happened since we simmed together - these new color monitors are amazing..  :)

-Scott Brandenburg.

13 minutes ago, psbrandenburg said:

Oh, I'm back in, baby.  :)  Just upgraded equipment - new Digital Storm rig that took "maxed-out" frame rates in P3Dv4 from upper teens to over 120-140 in some areas..

I normally shy away from GA stuff, but your recent shots have me thinking.  I still like playing with the big iron, but it's fun buzzing around in smaller stuff too.

I even joined my "Virtual Alma Mater", and am having great fun flying routes.

Need to get together somehow and catch-up.  A lot has happened since we simmed together - these new color monitors are amazing..  :)

-Scott Brandenburg.

Good to hear!  

I made a promise to myself to get into GA (truth be told was getting a little burned out flying to major airports in the big iron...still love it, but wanted to try the smaller airports and explore, esp with all the Orbx stuff I picked up on sale.)

As you've seen, I don't fly without the RXP GTN 750, its made the jump to GA most satisfying.  I may pick up the GNS models at the next sale.

I hope when you joined that VA your real world relationship with them let you start out flying more than a CRJ for the regionals! :biggrin:  I may do a VA one day after I retire and have some extra time on my hands.  Hope we get a good A350 so your VA can have it's real worlds counterpart's newest toy (Kinda' bummed they didn't go with the 787, but the 350 is a fine plane just the same).

We'll find some time to catch up soon!

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg