Sign in to follow this  
strider1

The Great Coffee Lake Con Job !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Nice review. 

Does this guy ever pause to do something, like breathe?  LOL.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

So what's the consensus...  the title.... is it a bad series of CPUs?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

For which processor are you asking?  The i5-8400 series?  Not really one you'd ever want to pick for flight simulation anyway - for numerous reasons, and what he said about it being inferior silcone, well, it's the same with other series processors too.  Processors come from "dies", and it's usually the dies which are tested.  Essentially all the dies (and processors which come from the dies) are the same until testing, and based on testing is where Intel will start locking parts of processors which turns an i7-16 core into an i7 with less cores, and some i7s into i5s.  Even with that there are funcuations on the same die, so not all processors cut from the same die are equal either.  This is how it's always been with multi-core processors. The original i7-900 series were somewhat different only in how they were numbered, the 980's were the top of the batch, and they went down from there all the way to the 920s.

So as you see, not all dies are created equal and not all processors cut from the same die are created equal either. As an example, I have an i7-4770K that outperforms many i7-4790Ks and I run all 4 cores at 4.5Ghz and could run them stable at 4.7 if I choose, and my temps rarely go above 43C with an Corsair H-110. This processor simply came from a very good area of the die which tested below the i7-4790K benchmarks. It's a word not allowed shoot to try and purposely get one of the top rated processors unless you're in the loop with Intel. 

Intel (and other chip manufacturers) use a complex quality control system to help save money while producing quality silicone, dies and processors/chips, so there is more to it than what I explained.  For more information on the quality control process you can Google "Intel Die Testing" or "Intel Silicone Quality Control".

With the above in mind, the host of the video in pointed out the inequity of Intel's stated testing and benchmarks.  With that in mind, no, there's nothing wrong with the i7s, just don't expect every processor to perform as stated by Intel unless you get a great chip or overclock it.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

46 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

So what's the consensus...  the title.... is it a bad series of CPUs?

In a nutshell - flawed biased benchmarks !!!

Here is the follow-up video:

Eric Escobar

This is an old video now. It's two months old.  I have posted about MCE here a number of times. 

The issue of some reviewers having MCE on and some off, and thus causing inconsistency in reviews, has been known about for a while now. Precisely why most reviewers are leaving MCE off for their testing now. 

If you want to look at reviews for Coffee Lake... look at current ones, not this 2 month old video that's no longer relevant.

There is no "con job", to state that is just click bate. I love the way he refers to "this new multi-core enhancement"... It's not new, it's been around for ages! 

Here are the Points:

It is relevant because the popular Tech Youtubers were using cherry picked cpu/motherboards and leaving MCE ON in their benchmarks and reporting it as stock ! And the Tech Youtubers that do not have as many subscribers were seeing a lot lower performance, this documented. It's also relevant because first impressions is what people remember. He was also speculating that the low cost CPUs/Motherboards were not going to be able to boost to their rated turbo speed.

I also posted the follow up video that was posted this week that confirms the bias benchmarking if you want to believe it.

Click bate ! I call it keeping the reviewers in line ! Steve from Hardware Unboxed gives him props in the comments section. And so does Ian Cutress from Anandtech. And several Techtubers had to go back and correct their benchmarks after the facts....

Eric Escobar

7 hours ago, strider1 said:

Here are the Points:

It is relevant because the popular Tech Youtubers were using cherry picked cpu/motherboards and leaving MCE ON in their benchmarks and reporting it as stock ! 

Yes... "were". Past tense. Hence why we should look at current reviews. I've posted about this issue before. However, I have no problem with you reminding people. So no offence intended. 

It's also relevant because first impressions is what people remember.

I disagree. Anyone who watched this video two months ago will most likely be an individual who, by definition, watches these  videos. Hence they should be up to speed by now because they have watched subsequent videos. Their first impressions will have been updated by now.

Given that the popular reviewers are now disabling MCE, reviews should be comparable I understand.

Whats more relevant in my opinion is that companies like Asus are leaving MCE on by default. So users who have substandard cooling can be caught out and suddenly find themselves with high temps. Auto for example on Asus boards, means ON. Ive seen this several times now, users trying to track down why their temps and auto voltage is high, and it's because MCE is on.

• Upvote 1

YouTube Video's should be taken with a pinch of salt. .  

Also bear in mind they get hardware sent to them mostly free in order to get a favourable review.     

• Upvote 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Ha, so true. :)

The objective is to get as many hits and subscribers as possible and make loads of money.