Sign in to follow this  

Cloud texture addons: who needs 20 GB of textures...

...if you can get a sky like this with just ONE totally FREE texture file of around 350 kb? :happy:

72E4006E-D630-48CF-8B44-407B41380487.jpg

As far as sky and cloud texture are concerned the above picture is P3D default with only ONE texture file added, the cumulus01.bmp from HDEv2. That’s it. Well, obviously AS is taking care of the weather, but really, I always wonder why people need thousands of cloud textures for a lot of money if just one free bmp can give you skies like this? I’ve been using this file for years and my skies look different all the time. Who told us we really need thousands of textures to create varied skies...? I am sure it was a payware cloud texture addon developer. :happy:

Just some food for thought. 

If you like the same look over and over than indeed you do not need anything else...

• Upvote 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Sorry, but this is just plain Skyforce bashing, i tend to say thats beneath you.

• Upvote 8

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

We get it Jeroen. Personally I like a bit more variation than just one BMP file.

• Upvote 2

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Good point, but if you want realistic up to date weather, it will take more than one cumulus texture. It aint' all cumulus up there. I've worked as an airport met assistant, and cloud observation was one of our hourly routines. In many parts of the world, cumulus in blue skies is a rarety...

• Upvote 2

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hi Jeroen,
As much as I could have appreciated your objectivity and wish of non biased information, I feel now that you are bashing REX for some reason.
You claim here and everywhere that SF3D is NOT a weather engine, that their textures look cartoonish and now that a single file could replace thousands of hours of work.
It remind me some missionary speech preaching the good word to save humanity from a disaster.

Dont like it? Don't buy it!

I for one couldn't fly with other sky/clouds textures now, REX SF blow up all my expectations after decades of flight simming.
So I believe your insistence to show how bad this product is is not fair, nor justified at all.

• Upvote 7

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Jeroen, yes it is free and they look good.  But even though I've had my beef with REX's artistic marketing, their textures and models really are very good.  I have to give them that..

• Upvote 2

Because J Van E we have something called opinions and personal taste. I look at that and I absolutely don’t like what I see not one bit at all. I had a real life 2 hour flight in a 737 yesterday, random out of place grey clouds included, and it did not have one cloud type. I look at what I have with Sky Force and Opus weather and I absolutely love it. Is that ok?

As a long time Avsim lurker, reading the forums recently has been depressing.

• Upvote 6

Even with 20GB of textures I don't believe we have this:

Mammatus (Not rare on my parts, and often seen during winter when snow storms are in the area): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2842663/Bubble-wrap-No-amazing-shapes-extremely-rare-MAMMATUS-clouds-seen-storm.html

Nacreous clouds can be seen in the Norwegian Arctic during cold winter days: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3428242/Devastatingly-beautiful-Rare-rainbow-clouds-seen-painting-skies-UK-despite-splendour-formations-cause-holes-ozone-layer.html

Lenticular clouds can be seen quite often around high mountains from where I live: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_cloud

And I miss realisitc colouring of sky and clouds during spectacular sunrises and sunsets...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

J your constant bashing/sniping of SF when you have no intention of buying it or even trying it is getting very tiresome. 

Give it a rest mate. It's beyond a joke.

Enjoy what you have, fine but if people want to use ASCA/Envtex/SF let them.

You come across of hating REX and to my knowledge you have never own one of their products.

• Upvote 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Oops... sorry, guys, I think I may have gone to far today indeed... I was simply happy with the sky I saw in this flight but okay, I understand your points of view: I probably typed a bit too much this time. My bad. My sincere apologies.

You know what? To show you all I am really sorry (AND to see if you are really right :happy: AND to fullfill MindYerBeak's prophecy :happy: AND to make sure my next post about SkyForce will be a valid one :unsure:) I will purchase REX SkyForce 3D right away.

OMG....Am flying to you house to slap you right now.....start running....:blink::biggrin:

• Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I better come to your house anyway to help you set it up or we will have 3 pagers of hate like PTA before we get to the "I love it" stage :laugh:

Booking flight right now....I hope I see more than one cloud texture on the way...:ohmy:

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, J van E said:

I will purchase REX SkyForce 3D right away.

That's the funniest thing I've seen all day.:laugh:

Great recovery from that b*tch slapping.

• Upvote 3