Sign in to follow this  

Cloud texture addons: who needs 20 GB of textures...

7 minutes ago, ErichB said:

That;s the funniest thing I've seen all day.:laugh:

He is going to owe REX a full apology if you ask me Erich. His bashing was beyond a joke. But he has apologized and once he gets passed the "I don't like it" and "we" help him with some setting etc...

Well lets see... 

The one thing we might all agree on is

What ever textures sets we all use, sometimes we look at what we have and think "that's breathtaking" and other time think "humm not so good*

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

just think , if you flew the crj into that weather it might actually fly a straight line.....

14ppkc-6.png

29 minutes ago, J van E said:

Oops... sorry, guys, I think I may have gone to far today indeed... I was simply happy with the sky I saw in this flight but okay, I understand your points of view: I probably typed a bit too much this time. My bad. My sincere apologies.

You know what? To show you all I am really sorry (AND to see if you are really right :happy: AND to fullfill MindYerBeak's prophecy :happy: AND to make sure my next post about SkyForce will be a valid one :unsure:) I will purchase REX SkyForce 3D right away.

I always liked your posts, Jeroen. Especially this one. .

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

2 minutes ago, tooting said:

just think , if you flew the crj into that weather it might actually fly a straight line.....

You couldn't pay me enough money to be a flightsim developer. I think I'd rather take 10 lashings.  

41 minutes ago, J van E said:

.... :happy: AND to fullfill MindYerBeak's prophecy :happy: AND to make sure my next post about SkyForce will be a valid one :unsure:) I will purchase REX SkyForce 3D right away.

There really is a thin line between extreme dislike(or hate or bashing) and love.Imo this software beats the living s* out of asca all day and you just gotta love it.

• Upvote 1

Prove of purchase. I think. My home base ENBR with current Active Sky weather.

- on the Options Weather settings Engine tab everything is disabled
- on the Options Weather settings Cloud Sync tab everything is enabled
- on Clouds, Winds and Visibility I didn't change a thing

- on the Options Texture settings Install tab ONLY cloud textures are enabled: everything else is disabled
- resolution is DXT5 512

I didn't use the Dashboard so everything on the page 3D Cloud Models (and other pages) is default and I did not install any themes at all.

Only thing that worries me is that the Real-Time Sync Mode is on but the ? button on the interface tells me 'Click to enable/disable real-time cloud cync when using the Sky Force weather engine'... I will trust this also works with Active Sky. And btw that 'cync' isn't my typo: that's how it is written in SkyForce. :happy:

Anyway, after setting things up this wat and not installing any textures this is what I get 'out of the box'. Seems to me that SF indeed installs clouds because things look really different compared to my (by now infamous) cumular01.bmp.

If any of my settings need changing or if I forgot something, please let me know.

EDIT:

BTW I am using PTA with Matt's default preset.

First thing I do notice, after loading several weather conditions in AS in several locations, is that my skies do look 'fuller' in some conditions (like overcast). There also seems to be a lot more variety (in one single situation that is). Clouds also are a lot (and I mean a lot) less white. I don't really know how to check if the syncing option does it work.

2018-1-5_12-39-25-898.jpg

What is this thread anyway? In other foraes I visit this would be seen as a legit troll job.

I mean some people should need a "do you really want to post this" confirmation at least 2 times before the thread is created.

Jeroen has a history of "badmouth" some addons, then actually buying it followed by the " software is weak" posts. Then he gets help from users and the software is the best since sliced bread.

Ambivalent if there ever was one. 

• Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

5 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

Jeroen has a history of "badmouth" some addons, then actually buying it followed by the " software is weak" posts. Then he gets help from users and the software is the best since sliced bread.

Ambivalent if there ever was one. 

Yes, well, that's me alright. Can't deny it. I know I can be annoying as hell sometimes. I do hope though that my more positive and helpful posts make up for the bad ones.

2 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

2 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

If someone slaps their cash on the table and turns in favour of the addon, that is surely a good outcome.  

There is no better endorsement of a product for any developer than a hater turned believer.

• Upvote 1

J you will have to like AS go into the settings to make sure your set up how you like/want it.

This guys has some nice videos on it and shows what setting he is using, am going to relook at mine tonight.

In this one you can skip to 21:40. have a look at his others. Make sure to use the 10 day option.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, simmerhead said:

Even with 20GB of textures I don't believe we have this:

Mammatus (Not rare on my parts, and often seen during winter when snow storms are in the area): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2842663/Bubble-wrap-No-amazing-shapes-extremely-rare-MAMMATUS-clouds-seen-storm.html

When i compare the weather in P3D from addons with RL pictures and the look out of my window i would say with 20 TB of textures we won't come close to nature ;-)

Sad, but true. Just think of the supercomputers of weather scientists and you get an picture how far we are from an good weather simulation.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

15 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

J you will have to like AS go into the settings to make sure your set up how you like/want it.

This guys has some nice videos on it and shows what setting he is using, am going to relook at mine tonight.

In this one you can skip to 21:40. have a look at his others. Make sure to use the 10 day option.

Thanks for the video, I will have a look at it this evening!

Concerning the 10 day option: I haven‘t decided yet if and which sky textures to use but if I will use the SF ones, I will indeed use the 10 day cycle indeed.

You don't have to choose J you can just click Random its a 2 second job and you will get full use of the 20GB of different types of clouds. Or pick sets you really like the looks of, do as you please. 

Just take your time and look over the options. 

Even though you will not use it, try the in built in weather engine, because that working with the rest of SF bring imo a new level of depiction we have not seen before.  AS+SF imo is still a compromise.

@J van E Congratulations on winning the "best creator of unnecessary threads" - award of January 2018 - that was fast :biggrin:

Can we please lock and clear away this thread? Thanks.

Regards, Sebastian

20 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Just take your time and look over the options. 

Just did so, I have a question about the 3D Models page. For starters I kept things at default and didn't change a thing however some options seem interesting, like Enhanced Overcast Cloud Bases. However, none of the options are explained in the manual. I also have no clue what the differences are between the three Altocumulus types and what are Roll Clouds? Ayway, I see a button at the bottom saying 'Install now: 1,509 3D weather models are ready to install.' I haven't done that yet, hoping the syncing would do its job. Should I actually click that Install now button? (I am still not sure what things are being done automatically or not.) Maybe I'd better ask this on the REX forum though.