Sign in to follow this  

Cloud texture addons: who needs 20 GB of textures...

12 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I think you have mixing up two setting Harry, Clouds draw you can have upto around 250, upper VIS is as you say. I have mine at 199. Set to 200nm does as you say. 

That's Visibility I believe that's totally different to cloud draw distance..

You are right. This happens when I am not sitting in front of my P3D-PC and playing around with numbers.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I've learned more about SF from 2 pages of this thread today than I have all week.

One more question - for those who have experimented with cloud texture resolutions, are you getting better looking clouds with lower resolution settings (softer cloud), than with 2k or 4K?  I've started with 2K but not always happy with all the clouds I see.(hard edges sometimes look unrealistic) 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Nemo said:

You are right. This happens when not I am not sitting in front of my P3D-PC and playing around with numbers.

No problem Harry easy mistake to make.

5 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I've learned more about SF from 2 pages of this thread today than I have all week.

One more question - for those who have experimented with cloud texture resolutions, are you getting better looking clouds with lower resolution settings (softer cloud), than with 2k or 4K?  I'm started with 2K but not always happy with all the clouds I see.

probably because it not full of haters/bashers that don't even own it.

512-2k -4k think that's down to personal taste Erich. I would think 4k is going to look very sharp, there is a page that shows the performance of using different setting but don't ask me where, am at work.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

and now we have jeroen on board ;-)

• Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 minute ago, Nemo said:

and now we have jeroen on board ;-)

And he already knows more about it than I do. Quick learner he is.:laugh:

21 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Yep and as long as it works who cares:biggrin:

The question is: does it? :happy: I can see no sign of things being loaded on the fly. Yes, my skies look varied and different but things can look varied and different without any loading of new structures and cloud textures too, I think.

19 minutes ago, ErichB said:

One more question - for those who have experimented with cloud texture resolutions, are you getting better looking clouds with lower resolution settings (softer cloud), than with 2k or 4K?  I've started with 2K but not always happy with all the clouds I see.(hard edges sometimes look unrealistic) 

LOL I don't think anyone expected to read that after the initial posts this morning...! 

I myself have always used low res clouds, also in other addons I used in the past. The high res options look too sharp and too much like edited photographs. But it's very personal indeed. The better performance is a nice bonus though.

18 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Er... not anymore anyway. :blush: But yes, it's easier to discuss settings and options without being interrupted by er... those kind of people.

10 minutes ago, ErichB said:

And he already knows more about it than I do. Quick learner he is.:laugh:

LOL But a very sssslllllooooooowwwwwww starter too!

2 minutes ago, J van E said:

I don't think anyone expected to read that after the initial posts this morning...! 

From zero to hero in 4 pages.  :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Just now, ErichB said:

From zero to hero in 4 pages.  :laugh:

I don't think everyone will agree but well... :happy:

5 minutes ago, J van E said:

Er... not anymore anyway. :blush: But yes, it's easier to discuss settings and options without being interrupted by er... those kind of people.

Wow you have some Balls J :laugh:

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 minute ago, J van E said:

I don't think everyone will agree but well... :happy:

Anyone who is familiar with the history of your posts will know that this is the way it has always been since the dawn of time.:cool:

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Anyone who is familiar with the history of your posts will know that this is the way it has always been since the dawn of time.:cool:

I wonder what his Mum and Dad went though, 

J would you like to learn to ride a bike?...."No am happy with my feet......."

a few years later.....

J would you like to learn to to drive a car?...."No am happy with my bike......."

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I wonder what his Mum and Dad went though, 

J would you like to learn to ride a bike?...."No am happy with my feet......."

a few years later.....

J would you like to learn to to drive a car?...."No am happy with my bike......."

You should try this PC flight simulator.   No I'm happy spotting at Polderbaan.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ErichB said:

You should try this PC flight simulator.  

Whoever suggested that to him have a lot to answer for.......Erich:cool:

I did warn J I would give him some stick if he ever bought SF. I will leave it now. Happy to help as always J my pain in the butt friend..O sorry that slipped out :blush:

• Upvote 1

Jeroen for President!! :-))

Warning folks if you want to test SF3D internal weather engine.
If you save a flight using the FSL A320 or a PMDG bird together with AS16 and SF3D, don't try to load it later with SF3D weather engine. It will crash because of the lack of radar data.

On the contrary a flight saved while using SF3D will be loadable with AS16.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Dawn.jpg

Dusk.jpg

And I am not going to tell what addons I used :laugh:

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0