Sign in to follow this  
Wennerholm

Oculus Rift

5 minutes ago, rjfry said:

I think VR need`s improving the cost is also holding it back, VR makes up just about 1% of gaming at the moment at the moment it`s a niche market.

The cost has been improving. I`ve bought my Rift for 800 Euro one year ago and it costs 400 now.

• Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

400 is Euro`s is cheap I can buy all PMDG aircraft for P3Dv4 for that, this is why the uptake is slow, it`s like saying why are user`s still using FS9 ,FS10 there old outdated the answer may surprise you Cost. Think new PC then new sim + addon`s it`s just a hobby to them when they have free time from the family and work .

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Thiago,

Precisely, my point mate. I am not and nor do I advise anybody to jump in without a considerable amount of research.

You make a point about the field of view and I would like to contribute the following.  Pimax is sprouting 210 degrees FOV, I believe, and whilst this is a fantastic improvement on the rift and vive, is it actually really, really necessary for flight simming? It is nice to have peripheral vision but you only need to scan instruments and panels so I would venture a "nice but not really necessary in the context of flight simming."  I think it will eventually boil down to a resolution and the ability to read/scan guages factor, that will be the "be all and end all" for VR as far as a flight simmer is concerned. As previously stated this is all just guess work for me, and very important aspects of VR that everybody should be investigating before a purchase. This eventually, is going to be a system purchase (all inclusive) and a decision not to be taken lightly in my opinion.

Because I believe software like Chaseplane and Ezidock, perhaps among others are going to become largely irrelevant  or obsolete (in the VR world) perhaps newbies contemplating entry into the VR world should be addressing hardware before software considerations whilst being familiar with all the ramifications that statement implies.  The hardcore simmers who don't or won't,  venture into Virtual Reality will always have a need for this software so I do not see this software becoming redundent nor obsolete in the near future. VR however, is a whole new world with completely different priorities and hardware requirements and I do not think it should be treated as a mere "add-on" piece of hardware.

I really do not know much abut it, except, that there is going to be a huge learning and a huge research aspect to venturing into Vitual Reality for me and also for others. I am excited and very aprehensive about the possibilities ahead. Caution is the watchword.

Cheers to you all

Tony

Again I thank you for your input .. for me,  it has been invaluable.

Cheers

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

13 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Thiago,

Precisely, my point mate. I am not and nor do I advise anybody to jump in without a considerable amount of research.

You make a point about the field of view and I would like to contribute the following.  Pimax is sprouting 210 degrees FOV, I believe, and whilst this is a fantastic improvement on the rift and vive, is it actually really, really necessary for flight simming? It is nice to have peripheral vision but you only need to scan instruments and panels so I would venture a "nice but not really necessary in the context of flight simming."  I think it will eventually boil down to a resolution and the ability to read/scan guages factor, that will be the "be all and end all" for VR as far as a flight simmer is concerned. As previously stated this is all just guess work for me, and very important aspects of VR that everybody should be investigating before a purchase. This eventually, is going to be a system purchase (all inclusive) and a decision not to be taken lightly in my opinion.

Because I believe software like Chaseplane and Ezidock, perhaps among others are going to become largely irrelevant  or obsolete (in the VR world) perhaps newbies contemplating entry into the VR world should be addressing hardware before software considerations whilst being familiar with all the ramifications that statement implies.  The hardcore simmers who don't or won't,  venture into Virtual Reality will always have a need for this software so I do not see this software becoming redundent nor obsolete in the near future. VR however, is a whole new world with completely different priorities and hardware requirements and I do not think it should be treated as a mere "add-on" piece of hardware.

I really do not know much abut it, except, that there is going to be a huge learning and a huge research aspect to venturing into Vitual Reality for me and also for others. I am excited and very aprehensive about the possibilities ahead. Caution is the watchword.

Cheers to you all

Tony

Again I thank you for your input .. for me,  it has been invaluable.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony, everyone that has tried the new Pimax has said that the expanded FOV is really nice and they fell like wearing swimming goggles when going back to the Rift/Vive. I believe that the a bigger FOV would have more or less the same effect as an Ultra-Wide monitors or multi-screen setup. It expands your peripheral visions and gives you an improved sense of realism. It may not be as important as resolution, but I still think that it will be a considerable step forward!

Regarding Chaseplane, I would not say it will be completely obsolete in VR. I have been using this software and the built-in camera system in X-Plane and they can be really helpful to wander around the cockpit or to perform workarounds, something that would not be possible just by walking with your own feet in the virtual space due to physical limitations. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Thiago,

Again, good news for which I am indebted.

As I have said before I do not own these programmes as I can only fly satisfactorily with fs2004 (6 monitors) and my statements were just logical conclusions (for me) I have a huge amount to learn in the coming months but I think, in order to progress to the 64bit sims, that VR is the only logical way for me to go. In many ways, I wish this were not true but it is getting closer and closer to crunch time and all this information helps,

Thanks again

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

On 1/6/2018 at 6:59 AM, GCBraun said:

Hi Tony, everyone that has tried the new Pimax has said that the expanded FOV is really nice and they fell like wearing swimming goggles when going back to the Rift/Vive. I believe that the a bigger FOV would have more or less the same effect as an Ultra-Wide monitors or multi-screen setup. It expands your peripheral visions and gives you an improved sense of realism. It may not be as important as resolution, but I still think that it will be a considerable step forward!

Regarding Chaseplane, I would not say it will be completely obsolete in VR. I have been using this software and the built-in camera system in X-Plane and they can be really helpful to wander around the cockpit or to perform workarounds, something that would not be possible just by walking with your own feet in the virtual space due to physical limitations. 

Also the Pimax is going to be 4K on each eye. The only thing I don't like is that it's not AMOLED Hopefully they use AMOLED for the production units or even better screens if there are any by that time.

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

Oculus Rift V2 has to be right around the corner - anyone thinking about one should probably wait a few months.   I read their website last year regarding applicants, and they are assembling a cracker-jack team (Phd level in multiple fields) and I'm feeling confident their next product will be high desirable.

Give it a couple of months.

Mark Trainer

I am pretty sure Oculus stated that a new model would come out just on 2019. If that is the case, I will probably be buying the Vive Pro in the second half of this year.

Hi,

I have the Oculus Rift and love it.

However, with the advent of higher resolution headsets, has any thought been give to what kind of graphics card will be capable of driving one of these new hi-rez headsets?

Currently, I'm doing well with my high end system, not sure how my GTX 1080Ti would fare, if say, the resolution were doubled?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

To me, the biggest problem with VR right now is not the resolution.  It's the quirky user interfaces that are still a pain-in-the-a**.  Mouse integration to use click-spots is problematic yet.  Having other "windows" available is problematic, even with things like the FlyInside interface.  

The highest resolution graphics in a headset won't be worth a nickle if the user can't USE the product in a reasonable way...dependable mouse-clicking, ability to open other apps like chart readers, real-time weather programs, etc.  That is what kills the experience for me now.

Rick Ryan

Add me to the "will never go back" list. Flying in VR has completely changed FS for me forever. Yes, the resolution is low but, I always equate it to flying with 20/30 vision. If you can't read the gauge you just lean in and read it just like you would in real life. It's so immersive you don't even notice. I don't at least.

It's possible for me to see out the bottom of the headset to see the keyboard if I hold my head just right too. 

At one point I was considering going down the route of building a home cockpit but there's no way I would do that now - even if someone gave me the hardware for free. 

• Upvote 1

Noah Bryant

12 hours ago, FalconAF said:

To me, the biggest problem with VR right now is not the resolution.  It's the quirky user interfaces that are still a pain-in-the-a**.  Mouse integration to use click-spots is problematic yet.  Having other "windows" available is problematic, even with things like the FlyInside interface.  

The highest resolution graphics in a headset won't be worth a nickle if the user can't USE the product in a reasonable way...dependable mouse-clicking, ability to open other apps like chart readers, real-time weather programs, etc.  That is what kills the experience for me now.

Have you tried native VR in XP11? Yesterday I had a very enjoyable flight with the C172+REP using the touch controls. I really wish that LM would also implement native support to the touch controls. 

Regarding the second point, with the latest Oculus Beta Home Screen, you can pin external windows right into the simulator. Yesterday I did one flight with vPilot, Navigraph Charts and other windows pinned right into my simulator.

There is really not a need for Flyinside anymore.

Things are evolving fast!

7 hours ago, NoahBryant said:

Add me to the "will never go back" list. Flying in VR has completely changed FS for me forever. Yes, the resolution is low but, I always equate it to flying with 20/30 vision. If you can't read the gauge you just lean in and read it just like you would in real life. It's so immersive you don't even notice. I don't at least.

It's possible for me to see out the bottom of the headset to see the keyboard if I hold my head just right too. 

At one point I was considering going down the route of building a home cockpit but there's no way I would do that now - even if someone gave me the hardware for free. 

That is exactly what I think. With the rapid evolution of VR hardware and software, I would never invest in a home cockpit from now on. Besides being much, much cheaper, a VR setup will give you a 3D experience on ALL cockpits and not just one! 

13 hours ago, sbclark said:

Hi,

I have the Oculus Rift and love it.

However, with the advent of higher resolution headsets, has any thought been give to what kind of graphics card will be capable of driving one of these new hi-rez headsets?

Currently, I'm doing well with my high end system, not sure how my GTX 1080Ti would fare, if say, the resolution were doubled?

Bill Clark

If you supersample, you are already pushing your system to render at a higher resolution than the current HMDs. Therefore, I think that something like a Vive Pro would not perform considerably worse. Nevetheless, I might wait for Volta and for Intel's next gen CPU to grab the new Pimax or a Vive Pro. I am currently very happy with my supersampled Rift and native VR in XP11/P3D.

I purchased a Rift in early December and will be returning it tomorrow.  It's amazing for VFR work but difficult in the IFR world - BUT it does look awesome!  I will hold off until Gen 2 and then I am all in