Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Deja vu... Connie

Well.. almost.. both at Liverpool... and 50 odd years apart. :blink::biggrin:

2018-1-5_21-58-44-193.jpg

Const1-640x426.jpg

8000 kg of ciggies, (actually 11000 kg !) over from Belfast during the dock strikes of 66. Wonder if they were Chesterfields? Eh, Mr. Godfrey....?

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2012/02/the-story-of-the-ace-freighters-lockheed-constellation-that-tipped/

• Upvote 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

They should have evened the load with lots of cases of Dewars. Good catch on Arthur Godfrey.  He probably was smoking a Chesterfield while they were filming a commercial with him as captain in the cockpit.

• Upvote 1

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I've seen "three-point-landings but that one is in a class of it's own!  The back of that bus is where they held the barrels of oil needed during flight!

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

That is me in the left seat of a Super Connie at Camarillo, California, a month before it was ferried (flown)  to Europe with Breitling sponsorship.  Here is a link to the current site for that Connie:

https://www.breitling.com/en/airtime/breitling-super-constellation

02%20AR_FP_Deck_web.jpg

08%20Super_Connie_starting_web.jpg

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

This ticket was displayed in a display case in the pax area of that Super Connie.  Fascinating. $9.20 American for a flight from LAX to MKC, "the soupbowl" near downtown Kansas City in 1947.  MKC is still open and operating as Kansas City Downtown.

05%20Connie_ticket_web-L.jpg

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

You, sir are a lucky dog! :biggrin: :cool:

I note from the website that the Breitling Connie should be flying again this year. Sweet!

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Just now, HighBypass said:

You, sir are a lucky dog! :biggrin: :cool:

I note from the website that the Breitling Connie should be flying again this year. Sweet!

The crew spent  a long time reconditioning it and getting it certified as airworthy for flight.  I rode on a certification flight which also served as a flight for the pilots to become rated in type.  Both were active Lufthansa pilots on leave for the project.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Er.. that's 3 words, Dan!  :tongue: And that's precisely how I got the Ace Connie to tailsit :cool: Full aft cargo, manually add passengers to the aft of the plane until the nose oleo stops extending, remove some fuel, again to see if the nose oleo extends further, initiate pushback, wait until some momentum is gained, stop pushback, hit the brakes :biggrin:.

Whilst I'm loading the Connie, Betty comes into the cockpit and announces, "Doris Day just came on board!" LOL so I'm trashing a VIP flight to generate the screenshot. Mind you, I've only done one career mode flight so far so it's no big deal, besides Ctrl-C means that the flight's not logged as it didn't finish.

Mark Robinson