Sign in to follow this  

Hello!

I've been flight simming for some time now but I still consider myself as a beginner. I mainly do GA flying and are now looking at getting my first jet for p3d v4 and Phenom 300 is one of them (the other is the Premier, not sure which one yet). Anyways, will the Phenom 300 suit a somewhat beginner? I am also looking into at getting the GTN 750 because of its capabilities and from what I've understood it is compatible with the aircraft?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome,

The Carenado Phenom 300 does not natively support the GTN 750. It seems like there was a user created modification that would fit this into the panel, but I'm not sure.

You didn't specify what simulation software you're using. If you're on P3Dv3 (the older previous version), the Flight1 Cessna Mustang is a really good small jet. Too bad they haven't got around to releasing their aircraft for P3Dv4. I have the Mustang and King Air Flight1 aircraft for P3Dv3 and would like to have them back in my hanger.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Welcome,

Regarding the Carenado Phenom 300-- Bert Pieke has done a modification that allows you to install the GTN 750-it works great with this aircraft. You may want to send him a "PM" and get his opinion regarding your question as well as his mod if you plan to purchase this a\c..

I personally do not find this aircraft all that difficult to fly (do not know how it compares to the Premier)--I guess it depends on what type of GA flying you do--if they're more complex single and twin-engine types, you may not have much difficulty. Something to get use to is the time it takes for a jet engine to spool up to full power. 

You may want to take a look at some YouTube videos regarding this a\c by Carenado, prior to purchase. I believe FSMania may have done a review video on this aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Yes. FSMania has done a nice series on this aircraft. He flies the 'out of the box' version of the Phenom 300.

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

You might like to consider the Xtreme Prototypes GLJ25 it’s my favourite bizjet and takes the GTN750. Lovely clear VC and 200 page manual. Flys great. 

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm watching the first part of FSManias review as we speak. It's really thorough and has good pace, really appreciate tips like this. I might even stick with the G1000 for abit even though the GTN 750 gives incredible utility and I can use it for other aircrafts aswell. We'll see.

The Phenom300 is basically an owner/pilot flown luxury jet, so it is relatively simple to find your way around in.

You can certainly fly it with the native G1000, but for more serious navigation, the GTN750 mod adds a lot..

• Upvote 1

Bert

So I ended up buying it, and I gotta say this beast climbs like a rocket!! I got overspeed warning quite fast after I took off, gotta watch that next time, haha! Cruising right now and it's so much fun already! 

Ill ride with the G1000 for a while and see how it is. After watching FSManias vids of it, it looked fine. Indeed the GTN 750 seems very capable! Getting I reply from Bert makes me feel extra special! Thanks for all the welcome guys and gals!

/Proud owner of a Phenom 300! :-)

Here's a pic...

66hfDvq.jpg

Good for you! Enjoy your first personal virtual jet and the hours of learning & flying enjoyment that comes with it. Once you become proficient with this one, I would recommend you try one of the Lear Jets mentioned earlier. Both are great in their own way and will challenge your piloting skills even more as they are "Old School" flying with the ability of updating to GTN 750. I enjoy them both.

I might aswell ask in this thread instead of making another one of mine. I can't seem to find the alt menu (to get vnav to work!?) in the flight plan page (see picture below of whats missing). I also can't find a vnav button anywhere, well there is a button marked vnv but I cant click it. It doesnt say what it is in the AFCS control unit section of ze manual, but I assume it is vnav. Maybe it has something to do with the navigraph extension pack which I dont have? I am also running p3d v4.1.

Ill post a picture so you can see what I mean is missing: iXNPEYP.jpg

Thanks once again for all the help!  (Lets hope I get to the member status soon, my messages are hidden until approved lol!)

The Carenado G1000 MFD is a "lite" version... do not expect to find all the capabilities of the real unit..

Bert

When I looked at FSMania it looks like this: 

moqVdJ7.jpg

Sorry for all the questions, but Im really eager to understand how it works and maybe I've missed something (most likely) :-) His VNV button works aswell, while I can't click mine.

GTN 750 looking more and more tempting I guess...

You may want to check out the "Phenom 300 Tutorial and More" post just before your "First Jet" post. Apparently one of the forum members put together a tutorial that you might find helpful in light of this issue. You might try contacting FSMania in light of your picture to see what he did that you might not be doing.

I am sorry to say, Carenado's version of the Proline system has been more of a source of frustration than a joy for many flight-simmers. I enjoy this aircraft primarily due to the GTN750 modification made available for us to use.

Yep I've got the tutorial earlier today, gonna have a read and must give credit to the author, nice work! Haha everyone keeps mentioning the GTN 750 doesnt make it easier ;) I think the issues I'm having is because of that I cant get Navigraph to work. Reading the other threads it seems I'm not the only one... *sigh*