Sign in to follow this  
rstough

REX Sky Force - Cloud Model Sync Explanation

I bought SF yesterday and love it. Using it with AS. Great job. I am completely satisfied. Also love how you guys always manage to slip in a discount to your customers. Not many devs do that on an initial release. 😊

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, J van E said:

That's what I've been thinking and saying for ages already. :happy: How can an addon select appropriate cloud textures based on METAR only...? I also think it is (mainly) a random option and yes, this means SF is just as good if not better because its cloud textures are supposed to be double the size.

ASCA does allow you to tailor cloud and sky textures to high, mid, and low latitudes as well as to specific weather conditions (fair, CAVOK, snow, etc); check the WX Influence Configuration options under Settings. All of this must be done manually, though.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

2 minutes ago, J van E said:

I actually thought about that but I thought no one would take me seriously. :laugh: Besides, I don't use ASCA (so I'd have to write things based on information from others) and I don't own ENVTEX.

I have to say though that the manual of SF is more complicated than needed. It has a lot of pages but in the end the interface of SF is quite simple and self explanatory (despite a few mistakes... :happy: ) I could write a short as possible tutorail here for the use of SF with AS though...

yeah please i think it will solve some questions

I have been following this thread as a potential customer of SkyForce.

It would be very helpful if the OP / rex developers would contribute /engage with the queries raised in this forum in response to the first post.

Jay

23 minutes ago, kurtb said:

yeah please i think it will solve some questions

Basic REX Sky Force 3D + Active Sky tutorial

1. Start REX and go to Options Engine and disable everything you see.

2. Go to Options Cloud Sync and make sure everything is enabled.

3. Ignore Options Clouds, Wind and Visibility because they mainly have to do with the SF weather engine.

4, Go to Options Install and enable everything you would like to install. Disable everything you don't want to use of SF or for which you want to use ASCA and/or ENVTEX.

5. All other options aren't of real importance for this and can be set up the way you want to.

6. Go to the 3D Cloud model structure page (the cube icon) and select what you want to use (I would enable everything as much as possible: I personally use Altocumulus floccus, high precipitation and visible rain shaft: I also enabled all 3D models addons). Make sure the real time sync mode is ON. Finally click on Install Now in the bottom right corner. This will install the initial batch of models/structures into the sim. These will be dynamically updated whenever needed. At least that's the idea.

7. Go to the page with all the sets (the cloud icon) and install whatever you want to use (clouds, skies, sun, etc.). As is clear by now SF will only use the cloud set you actually install. To make sure the SF textures are actually being used you have to manually install the textures! I do think this is a mandatory step. Do not simply believe what the option 'Currently in sim' says (bottom right corner) because even if you have installed NOTHING after installing SF it will still say sets 1 of everything possible has been installed...

That's it. The next time just start Sky Force (no need to change anything but it needs to be running in the background for the structure syncing), start Active Sky (or any other weather addon) and start P3D.

In addition: you can either install a Skies 10 day cycle OR seperate dawn, day and dusk textures. You can't do both. What gets installed here depends on your settings on the Options Install page. If you use the integrated PTA presets appropriate dawn, day and dusk textures will be installed automatically. (I have NO idea what this does with the 10 day cycle...)

Tip: disable the Quick start menu on the Options General page. It's of no real use. And btw the Dasboard also isn't of much use imho: it mainly shows you the pages you can select anyway on the left side. Those are the exact same pages as the Dashboard will lead you to. The interface of SF would have been better (more simple) of without this.

44 minutes ago, J van E said:

4. SF itself has no build in option that I know of to start it automatically and minimized.

That's a shame!

Thanks for the other answers. All understood!

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

26 minutes ago, jkeye said:

I have been following this thread as a potential customer of SkyForce.

It would be very helpful if the OP / rex developers would contribute /engage with the queries raised in this forum in response to the first post.

Jay

Rex devs have their hands full at their own forums.  You should pose any questions you have over there.  They are really responsive.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

19 minutes ago, J van E said:

Make sure the real time sync mode is ON.

Does this prevent AS historical weather ? Or simply mean "SF use weather in sim injected by AS" ?

Some other questions of an AS16 + TD4 w/Softclouds owner (FSX):

As understand the former answers, SF injects a bunch of cloud textures in the sim.
Are they stored in sim's private memory (leading to FSX OOM ?) or on the graphics card (no problem: 8GB) ?

What about processor performance ? Calculations done on maintask processor ?
(Actually, my installation runs very smooth)

Does TD4 complement SF or is SF a complete replacement for TD4 ?
(If replacement: will there be an upgrade price for TD4 users ;-) ?)

In this option screen to set 3D Model Option you need to set one of the following Floccus - Perlucidus - Undulatus

rex.jpg

Here is what the Alto 3 types look like, set to your liking.

Floccus.jpg

perlucidus.jpg

Undulatus

Undulatus.jpg

I would suggest if you want nice darkened skies under overcast to turn ON "Enhanced Overcast Cloud Bases" You might as well turn ON Roll Clouds, Calvus Rain Shaft, Tornado / Funnel.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Happy buyer here Reed. Love the product and thanks for the explanation. I  use SF in combination with AS as I think your weather program with its jarring weather insertion does not do your SF product justice. But in combination with a good weather program like AS the graphics are great. I never liked the textures, particularly the cloud ones of ASCA/ENVtex.

Hopefully you can develop a proper weather program to provide seamless integration with  your great textures.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I use ENVTEX for their sky textures which work with ASCA. I plan on unticking all options in ASCA other than sky textures. And yes if you go into weather options within ASCA and click on the various textures for the sky you will see they are for different latitudes and conditions based on the weather. 

I will use SF3 for clouds and structures and cloud textures. ASCA for dynamic sky textures.

Eric 

42 minutes ago, QuaxTheSnoopie said:

1. Does this prevent AS historical weather ? Or simply mean "SF use weather in sim injected by AS" ?

Some other questions of an AS16 + TD4 w/Softclouds owner (FSX):

3. As understand the former answers, SF injects a bunch of cloud textures in the sim.
Are they stored in sim's private memory (leading to FSX OOM ?) or on the graphics card (no problem: 8GB) ?

3. Does TD4 complement SF or is SF a complete replacement for TD4 ?

(If replacement: will there be an upgrade price for TD4 users ;-) ?)

1. No on both questions, The sync option is about the 3D models/structures which SF can inject on the fly into the sim. This also has nothing to do with the textures! Historic weather still works in AS. In fact, SF doesn't change anything to AS. BTW SF always uses the weather that it finds in the sim: there is no option to select that. The only option you have is to either enable the SF weather engine (and to not use another) or to disable the SF weather engine (and to use another).

3. SF doesn't inject a bunch of cloud textures. Textures are manually installed, just as in TD4. SF only injects structures, so the shapes on which the textures are projected. Textures are stored on your HD and loaded into memory just as any other texture.

3. SF replaces only the sky and cloud part of TD4. You can still use the waters and runways of TD4.

16 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I use ENVTEX for their sky textures which work with ASCA. I plan on unticking all options in ASCA other than sky textures. And yes if you go into weather options within ASCA and click on the various textures for the sky you will see they are for different latitudes and conditions based on the weather. 

I will use SF3 for clouds and structures and cloud textures. ASCA for dynamic sky textures.

I have always loved the Sky prediction from ASCA and did not know it was always based on different latitudes and conditions based on the weather. This is properly why I have always thought the colours were so life like. 

I think I will use ASCA like you say. It will also stop me from closing it all the time.

You learn something new every day!

Thanks Eric.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

exactly what I have done and the result is outstanding