Sign in to follow this  
rstough

REX Sky Force - Cloud Model Sync Explanation

If you have no clue which cloud set to start with in Sky Force or if you are wondering if 22 cloud sets isn't a bit too much of it all, look here!

7 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Yes but before that, make sure you have textures set to DTX5 and res 512 I have no hit worth talking about even with draw at 250 nm.

"enhanced overcast" when under the overcast makes it darker like real life. make overcast look like overcast dark and moody From the top no diffrent. I have it on and love the look it bring from below.

The only hesitation I have with DXT is it puts more strain on the CPU. 32 bit puts more work on the GPU. I have a 1080Ti so it can handle the extra work will keeping the CPU less strapped.

• Upvote 1

Eric 

2 minutes ago, B777ER said:

The only hesitation I have with DXT is it puts more strain on the CPU. 32 bit puts more work on the GPU. I have a 1080Ti so it can handle the extra work will keeping the CPU less strapped.

That's interesting Eric I did not know that. I might even try 32bit low res.

Thanks, you learn every day:biggrin:

You could also try DTX5 just to see?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

That's interesting Eric I did not know that. I might even try 32bit low res.

Thanks, you learn every day:biggrin:

You could also try DTX5 just to see?

I just did a flight with DXT5, frames were a little strained. Going with 512 32 bit, same route. Will see how it does.

Eric 

From REX from 1 year ago

"Hi there,

This is not conflicting information and is intentional. With Texture Direct, the clouds can have a significant impact with the 32-bit setting. If you have a reasonably spec'ed rig, which from your sig you do, you can probably run 32-bit textures at 4096 resolution without significant issues. Unless you are running other resource-intensive software as well. However, with DXT5 you will be essentially guaranteed to not have any frame-rate hit even with some of the most complex software running in conjunction with REX.

The Soft Clouds textures are not anywhere near as resource intensive as Texture Direct, and thus you can run in 32-bit mode safely. They are structured differently than Texture Direct clouds.

Let me know if that makes sense."

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Jeroen - I don't know what your intentions are for that cloud set comparison thread, but you can't do a comparison between cloud sets that way. As fair as the weather is in those pictures, it's not a fair comparison. The only way for one to discover the right set for them is to keep using Sky Force through different weather settings and changing sets if you feel there's another you'll like more. It took me some months to discover with REX Essentials and then with 4 Texture Direct. Also consider geolpilot's post on p17. What small differences you might see here could be big differences in other weather scenarios. Let's just go back to flight simming, enjoying and discovering the products we've bought. The best way to see this product without having it is through users' screenshots and videos in different scenarios. There have been some beautiful ones over on the Orbx forum.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

From REX from 1 year ago

"Hi there,

This is not conflicting information and is intentional. With Texture Direct, the clouds can have a significant impact with the 32-bit setting. If you have a reasonably spec'ed rig, which from your sig you do, you can probably run 32-bit textures at 4096 resolution without significant issues. Unless you are running other resource-intensive software as well. However, with DXT5 you will be essentially guaranteed to not have any frame-rate hit even with some of the most complex software running in conjunction with REX.

The Soft Clouds textures are not anywhere near as resource intensive as Texture Direct, and thus you can run in 32-bit mode safely. They are structured differently than Texture Direct clouds.

I'm using 32 bit 512 now flying south out of Anchorage, frames around 20. Got frames around the same with DXT 1024. Will try DXT 512 next. Solid overcast and I have enhanced overcast on as well. Not happy with performance. Ran 1024 32 but with ASCA and never a hit. Think this enhanced overcast is not optimized very well from REX. 

• Upvote 1

Eric 

Yep confirmed, enhanced overcast is what is doing it. Overcast on left side of aircraft, frames in teens, 5 to 7/8 coverage on right side of aircraft, frames maxed at 30 (what I have it set to). 

Eric 

1 hour ago, J van E said:

If you have no clue which cloud set to start with in Sky Force or if you are wondering if 22 cloud sets isn't a bit too much of it all, look here!

Cloud files are mapped on the fly with different cloud types and different models. A static screenshot will never show any major differences (especially from looking up under the bases), since we double the mapping. Sky Force is about immersion with different weather scenarios and situations, not just static examples. The Sky Force textures/cloud model structures/mapping/synching, you can experience endless variation and differences with varying metar on the fly.

• Upvote 5

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

11 hours ago, J van E said:

Well, finally, my problems are solved!

Super!

:sleep:

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

10 hours ago, Nyxx said:

From REX from 1 year ago

"Hi there,

Thanks David.
Interested to know what about SF textures.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

9 hours ago, rstough said:

Cloud files are mapped on the fly with different cloud types and different models. A static screenshot will never show any major differences (especially from looking up under the bases), since we double the mapping. Sky Force is about immersion with different weather scenarios and situations, not just static examples. The Sky Force textures/cloud model structures/mapping/synching, you can experience endless variation and differences with varying metar on the fly.

By saying that a "screenshot will never show any major differences" you are saying that there is hardly any difference between sets. In fact, that is what you are actually saying on the REX forum in a topic where someone posted he couldn't load any texture sets: "Sky Force has all the necessary cloud variations built into the cloud textures sheets that we have doubled.  So any set will do what you want with some variations. Some are little softer as some more defined, but either way it is the models that dictate the look." In other words: it doesn't really matter which set you load (and apparently it also didn't matter that he couldn't load any set at all because that problem wasn't attended to at all). 

The very funny thing is that I tend to disagree. :biggrin: Making those screenshots helped me to decide which sets to use and which sets not to use, based on this situation alone. I think there really are some obvious differences. I was just hoping those screenshots might help others too. :happy: As I said over there I didn't post them to bash SF. 

You are also saying you will only see major "endless variation and differences" in "different weather scenarios and situations". Well, that's obvious, but that difference is indeed due to the different weather and hence the models and not due to the textures. 

As I posted in that screenshot topic: the only way to COMPARE textures sets is to show them in the exact same situation otherwise you can't compare them at all. And that was all I was doing: comparing texture sets in one given situation. I wasn't trying to show everything that is possible with SkyForce. That would take millions of screenshots. :happy:

Let me finally repeat what I also posted in that screenshot topic (btw I'd rather posted those screenshots in this topic but that isn't allowed): now I've got it all working I actually and honestly like SkyForce. And as it is now I even recommend it! So PLEASE (and this is not in reply to rstough) don't take everything I say as negative: I may be negative or sceptical about how REX communicates or about certain aspect of SkyForce but let it be clear that I do not hate SF. I love it. I simply always say things as they are, like it or not. :cool:

First I was irritated, now I fully concur and appreciate your honesty and your smart contribution Jeroen.

Best regards,
David Roch

12 minutes ago, David Roch said:

First I was irritated, now I fully concur and appreciate your honesty and your smart contribution Jeroen.

It reminds me of his "journey" with PTA. 

But with PTA all we needed was a few cups of tea and a few deep breaths. 

With SF we have needed 10 pints, A bottle of whiskey and a box of sedatives to get to...... 

48 minutes ago, J van E said:

I love it.

Finally. :biggrin: 

@J, right then, what aircraft you buying next? :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

It reminds me of his "journey" with PTA. 

But with PTA all we needed was a few cups of tea and a few deep breaths. 

With SF we have needed 10 pints, A bottle of whiskey and a box of sedatives to get to...... 

Finally. :biggrin: 

@J, right then, what aircraft you buying next? :biggrin:

LOL :biggrin: Well, frankly, all it took was the working product itself... I can't help things didn't work as they should at first. And there still are people who are having similar problems with it which isn't needed at all once you know how to solve it. So it wasn't me! :cool:

BTW I just noticed my screenshot post even resulted in a sticky post on the REX forum LOL (without giving me credit though :tongue: ). Or at least so it seems, given the timing and content of it (copy and paste from or into my screenshot post). Pity though they end by saying "I hope this clears up any misleading information." I have said nothing misleading. Maybe Reed, Tim, Alex and I should get together to drink some of that bottle of whiskey that's left. :happy:

Anyway, I won't be buying an aircraft anytime soon! In fact, won't be buying ANY addon anytime soon because I don't want to cause you guys all this trouble all over again LOL :laugh: