Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

P3Dv4.1. Road Traffic Benchmark

2 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

The default ship traffic is quite sparse, so I don't think you will notice much performance degradation. 

How about the freeware ship pack from the Avsim Library? I'm guessing it shouldn't change much?

The file that controls sim performance vs road traffic is PopulationDensity.BGL found in:

<drive>:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\BASE\Scenery

Microsoft made the same mistake with road traffic that they did with AI traffic in that the slider just controls the percent of the maximum value found in the bgl file for that geographic location. Thus, extremely densely populated cities such as London, NYC and Tokyo have incredible numbers of vehicles on their roads. Of course, in real life these cities have comprehensive mass transit systems and even though there are a lot of cars on the roads, the proportionality to population density is probably an anachronistic relationship. In any case, there should have been a limit to the maximum vehicle density per lane mile. Unfortunately, Microsoft never released the Living World SDK, so what controls road traffic is a static compiled XML file (LWConfig.spb). Users can decompile the SPB version to XML and edit such parameters as vehicle models used and vehicle speeds.

• Upvote 3

And believe the small boat traffic is controlled the same way, being more numerous close to high population areas. It sounds like a logical system, but  it kills performance where you most need it of course...

Lets hope LM can create a fix. There really should be a limiter in terms of exact numbers instead of % for all traffic parameters. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

2 hours ago, TheBoom said:

How about the freeware ship pack from the Avsim Library? I'm guessing it shouldn't change much?

Regarding that, (Global AI Shipping) I believe it is recommended to have the ship traffic under 10%. At least in FSX:SE FWIW..

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

Regarding that, (Global AI Shipping) I believe it is recommended to have the ship traffic under 10%. At least in FSX:SE FWIW..

Sounds strange. It's not my experience that it is fps hungry at all.

Speaking of car traffic, has anyone tried the old method of editing each vehicles speed in their config file to slow down the vehicle traffic? This method has always worked for me but seems like in 4.1  they wont slow down regardless of changing the max speed. 

The only way of altering freeway traffic speed is to convert the file LWConfig.spb to xml, rename the spb file to LWConfig.spb.old and edit each region's entry:

<FreewayTraffic TrafficSpeed="xx">

If vehicles had different freeway speeds they would crash into each other, so editing the vehicle's cfg file will not work for freeway traffic.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The only way of altering freeway traffic speed is to convert the file LWConfig.spb to xml, rename the spb file to LWConfig.spb.old and edit each region's entry:

<FreewayTraffic TrafficSpeed="xx">

If vehicles had different freeway speeds they would crash into each other, so editing the vehicle's cfg file will not work for freeway traffic.

Thank you!

i thought they worked on it for v4? The traffic performance? :-o

Victor Roos

13 hours ago, simmerhead said:

Sounds strange. It's not my experience that it is fps hungry at all.

You're right, but the 10% is limiting the default boats, not the Global AI shipping.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

You're right, but the 10% is limiting the default boats, not the Global AI shipping.

Which also have very little fps impact, but of course some might not like to mix fictional ships with real ones.

When I use addon traffic I always disable all default traffic anyway by renaming the aircraft and ship traffic bgls to .OFF.

• Upvote 1