Sign in to follow this  
Flying Tiger

Transfer repaints to x-plane 11

Hello repainters, or anybody who can answer,

I am considering to purchase X-plane 11 to use next to my P3D v3.4. Question: I have made a few repaints of some of my Carenado & Alabeo aircrafts. Some of them I think I will also buy them in X-plane when I make the purchase. Is it possible to transfer my P3D textures to replace the according textures in X-plane, or do I have to do the repaints all over again?

Awaiting some reply, 

kind regards, 

Eddy

Yes, it's possible and remarkably easy. The XPlane versions use the same textures as the FSX/P3D ones, only in some cases they're flipped around a bit or have some transparency issues you can fix easily using dxt.bmp and a texture editing software. Also, XPlane uses png rather than dds.  All told, it generally doesn't take me more than 30 minutes to convert a paint. For example, I made a Northwest Airlink paint for the Do228 and converted it to XP11. Download each and compare them to see the similarities and differences. If you have any painting and texture work experience it should be clear how to do the conversion. 

XPlane paint: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/40744-carenado-dornier-do228-northwest-airlink/

FSX/P3D paint: https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=carenado_do228_northwest.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Also, I should note that this holds true for all Carenado/Alabeo aircraft. However, some like the C404 only require a simple horizontal flip of the textures while others like the B1900D require you to consolidate multiple FSX/P3D texture files into one image for XP. 

• Upvote 1

Hello hamoody,

thanks for the reply. I will bare it in mind when I decide to go with X-plane 11. Not sure if I'm going to do because I just discovered that the GTN750 is not compatible with one of my favorite planes, the Carenado C337H in X-plane (yet?). 

My repaints are just adaptaions of existing liveries. My knowlede isn't sufficient enough to make my own designs. (see my C337H).

Maybe when I go for X-plane, and I experience some troubles with the repaints I will knok on your door once more, ok?

Kind regards, 

Eddy

Ps: I wanted to include a screenshot of my C337H repaint but the Dropbox file isn't accepted ???

5 hours ago, Flying Tiger said:

Hello hamoody,

thanks for the reply. I will bare it in mind when I decide to go with X-plane 11. Not sure if I'm going to do because I just discovered that the GTN750 is not compatible with one of my favorite planes, the Carenado C337H in X-plane (yet?). 

My repaints are just adaptaions of existing liveries. My knowlede isn't sufficient enough to make my own designs. (see my C337H).

Maybe when I go for X-plane, and I experience some troubles with the repaints I will knok on your door once more, ok?

Kind regards, 

Eddy

Ps: I wanted to include a screenshot of my C337H repaint but the Dropbox file isn't accepted ???

I've found that the easiest way to post a screenshot here is to upload it to imgur.com then simply paste the URL into your reply and the photo will automatically embed. The process doesn't take more than a minute and you don't even need an imgur account to do it. 

Anyway, something to keep in mind is that Carenado have decided not to offer any upgrade pathway between the XP10 and XP11 versions of their planes, meaning that if you buy the XP10 version of the C377 you'll need to buy it again to get full XP11 compatibility. They're currently in the process of converting their planes to make them fully compatible with XP11. Most if not all of their XP10 planes will work in XP11 but may have texture issues, flight dynamics issues, etc. For that reason, a lot of their planes are listed as both XP10 and XP11 compatible, but only those explicitly stated as being the XP11 version have been fully developed for and tested in XP11. So far, that only includes the Do228, C90, C208, B200, and B1900D. I'm not sure when the C377 will be converted, or if it will get GTN750 compatibility when it does. You can always go to the xplane.org forums and send a message to Dan Klaue with your questions- he is the main developer of the team that converts Carenado's planes from FSX/P3D into XP: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/profile/3424-danklaue/

Anyway, I'm glad my response was helpful and I thoroughly encourage you to give XP a try. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me! 

• Upvote 1

Hello again Hamoody,

I will read your reply more  thoroughly tommorow (time to go to bed now :-). But thaks again for your extensive answer. After reading I will send you an PM with some more explanation.

Regards, 

Eddy

• Upvote 1

Hello Hamoody,

because I don't know if my PM to you is send (I am so clumsy with these things, and every forum works different in some ways :blush:. But hey I was born right after the stone age, take that into consideration will you :biggrin:). So to be sure: here it is via the "normal" way:

Hello Hamoody,

a bit later than planned but here is my reply. I am running X-Plane for 2 days now. There is so much to learn and it will take some time before any possible repainting. I am a total no-no with installing things, settings, change files etc. So it will give me a few more grey hairs ( and I have not much hair left!):-) . Before I start to buy addons and decide to stay with X-Plane I want to see how far I can get with all the fantastic freeware that is to be found on the internet. (and that is a whole lot!) From the 4 addons I already downloaded 2 of them aren't working. So back to their forums and wait for replies. So repainting isnt' going to happen in the near future I guess. But thanks anyway, and if start repainting, and have some problems, can I contact you again via a PM?

I will check out that program you mentioned for posting pictures. I will send you the planes I repainted so far if you are interrested, just let me know if so. Ok?

Kind regards, 
Eddy