Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

Improving Water Appearance in XP11

XP11 water looks very repetitive and unrealistic.  A while back there is a mod to change its appearance but then LR remove it, when not exactly, but FlyWithLua removed the ability due to LR instruction.  I have not checked recently with 11.11, is there way now to improve the look?  Thanks in advance.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

9 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

XP11 water looks very repetitive and unrealistic.  A while back there is a mod to change its appearance but then LR remove it, when not exactly, but FlyWithLua removed the ability due to LR instruction.  I have not checked recently with 11.11, is there way now to improve the look?  Thanks in advance.

I think on the .org you can find several water mods. FlyWithLua still has the ability to modify all the datarefs, you just have to use the Complete edition and not the Core edition.

8 hours ago, Longranger said:

If I didn´t misunderstood Philipp X-Plane 11.20 shall bring additional water features

That'd be great. Did he comment on that lately?

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

10 hours ago, Murmur said:

That'd be great. Did he comment on that lately?

At 23:00 "New Tesselator for the water maps."

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Longranger said:

At 23:00 "New Tesselator for the water maps."

Are you sure he isn't referring to some water depiction on the G1000?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I am extremly sure. The G-1000 is in no position to use Tesselators for water effects. Don´t forget, the X-Plane G-1000 is much faster than the real units.

But Tesselation for water was originally sheduled for 11.00 .

Good news then! XP11 water badly needs improvements. Curious to see what results they got.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Longranger said:

Well, I would see something in the direction of : https://developer.x-plane.com/2016/10/developer-blooper-reel-water-world/

Bah, humbug... that's a nice effect, and it would be good to see realistic heavy water action in deep water. But it's not the major problem with X-Plane right now.

The major problem is:

1) A weird repeating grid pattern that should be an easy fix, and...

2) A need for different water colors that correspond to different colors in the real world. We need turquoise water in the Tropical shallows, brown water in the Amazon river, so water all over the world doesn't look the same drab color. This needs hydrologic data, but I thought Andras has been saying they've made at least a first step in this direction with v11? But we haven't seen it yet?

And then after that, doing something about the tan-colored beaches that show up as coastlines everywhere. I know there are add-ons for this, but the base sim needs to do a better job with those transition colors between land and water. It looks very unrealistic up here in the PNW and other places where water is deep and islands just drop directly to the water, with no "beach" outline. And where there is a beach, it's not the same tan color all over the world.

• Upvote 4

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Well, they have something like different water colors in the code for some time, but they were unable to activate the code due to rendering artefacts. I think this is more or less the same problem, that they had with waves. They didn´t have anything for the ground beneath the water surface.

You can bet this was in fact the problem, that they had in this case. The obvious solution in this case is: Lower the water level, since no one would build.below the local water line. We simply see one of the tesselators in our GPUs at work. But the real problem is the border between the land and see.

I

Next we will have revised waterwash physics for boats !

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

8 hours ago, Paraffin said:

2) A need for different water colors that correspond to different colors in the real world. We need turquoise water in the Tropical shallows, brown water in the Amazon river, so water all over the world doesn't look the same drab color. This needs hydrologic data, but I thought Andras has been saying they've made at least a first step in this direction with v11? But we haven't seen it yet?

You can see the water color thing at work in some of the HD Mesh v4 sample screenshots from Andras. Here are a few examples:

12 hours ago, Longranger said:

Well, I would see something in the direction of : https://developer.x-plane.com/2016/10/developer-blooper-reel-water-world/

You can already activate that, by changing a specific dataref to 1 (I think it's called "3d water" or something), but of course it's still a work-in-progress, so there are visual issues.

For the rest, I agree with Paraffin and Jcomm that a more realistic water pattern, colors and physics should be a higher priority for now.

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for replying.  I downloaded a couple packages from the org and at least for now, I don't have to look at the excessive repetitive pattern.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Out of curiosity, which packages are you guys using for the water?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."