Sign in to follow this  
jagabom

Moving on

Was getting bored with FS9.No flying in 5 years.  Just bought P3DV4 and got it going with different video drivers.  Sorry FS9 I have to leave you.  What an amazing simulation P3D is.  Bye.

jim

CYWG

• Upvote 3

Hey Jim, I enjoyed your post, put a smile on my face. But yes, so true...

Jagabom,

I wish you well with your transition.  I think you have reached a stage that most of the remaining committed FS9 ers will eventually reach. I do not think we should be perturbed about that aspect of it.  What upsets me is looking at what is possible with the new 64 bit platforms but which is impossible with my desired configuration. I would if I could abandon fs9 with reckless abandon and great alacrity, but my personal sense of immersion keeps me from swapping.  I am, however, seriously looking at VR and if I can be convinced without access to a try before buy option.

Enjoy to the fullest

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

And, getting better all the time ! Jim, enjoy...

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA

P3D with PeopleFlow = really nice! But X-Plane 11 is my ultimate goal. I'll transition eventually from FS9 but am convinced that waiting until X-Plane 11 came along was worth it! But I will keep FS9 for the occasional friendly fling ;)

• Upvote 1

Best wishes Jim.  

In response to Tony and Sasha I'd like to chime in to say I have both but I have to agree that FS9 on a 64 bit platform running on a reasonably robust computer is as smooth as silk.  I did a flight with the QW757 from Manchester to Geneva with full settings without a hickup (except maybe my piloting skills).  So far I am just exploring P3D4 but I have to say it performs way better than P3D2.5, which I felt was a step backwards as far as performance was concerned compared to FS9 on decent computer.  But I won't be deleting FS9 anytime soon.   It runs well, I still have a backlog of aircraft to explore, and it took me a decade to get to the level of immersion I have now with FS9 so getting to that level with traffic and scenery is going to be a huge expense in time and money.  I say, why not enjoy the benefit of both platforms. 

Greg  

• Upvote 2

That is also the biggest reason not to move on. My fs9 is tuned and modified to the max to get the best results in visibility, frame rates, traffic and it runs like a dream. Everywhere, everything maxxed out. No oom’s, no ctd’s nothing.

If P3D can run like this, I will move on. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gaputz said:

it took me a decade to get to the level of immersion I have now with FS9 so getting to that level with traffic and scenery is going to be a huge expense in time and money.  I say, why not enjoy the benefit of both platforms. 

So true for me, too! Whatever flightsim I'll fly in the future, FS9 will always stay beside it as long as any OS will be able to run it. I'll never ever have a sim again that is as complete and matured as my FS9 grew within 14 years.

• Upvote 3

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Yes, it´s time to move on. I deleted all FS9 files in my PC. Same with FSX.

X-Plane 11 stolen my heart. It´s not like MSFS in some aspects like there is only a few freeware aircraft models to fly. Also, the ATC is not good. About the rest, specially freeware sceneries and flight model X-Plane is far better.

Anyway FS9 will stay in my heart it was the longest time I played a MSFS. 

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I felt the same at about FS9 - I'm a GA guy and I loved my Dreamfleet/Digital Aviation aircraft... I skipped FSX entirely going straight from FS9 to P3Dv3 with every intent of keeping FS9 around for my old favorites... That lasted about a month - P3D - AS4 - ASCA - ENVTEX - ENVSHADE - ChasePlane - ORBX with the literally hundreds of FREE improved airports from class C on down in addition to their payware - A2A aircraft - there is no going back... I really tried - couldn't do it - seriously - I couldn't take FS9 anymore after just a few minutes back in it - resistance is futile once you give P3D an earnest try... I got tired of farting with Flight1 wrappers that wouldn't work in Win10 and some aircraft had fits too - gave up - and deleted my beloved FS9... My biggest regret was losing Paul Golding's absolutely incredible 727 and Bob Scott's Tin Mouse 737... Your mileage may vary...

If anyone else decides to switch - do it over the holidays to catch the sales - because it ain't cheap...

Regards,

Scott 

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hello again guys,

Sascha...I think I am with you with the XPlane 11 route. I just watched a video yesterday ...   XPlane 11 using the new native VR and it was absolutely incredible. This morning I watched another which stated that Oculus Rift current resolution was slightly better than 1080p and that is what I am using with great satisfaction now. The only drawback is that right now apparently there is no mouse support for VR but it is being worked on.

I cannot imagine a situation however where I have my six monitors for fs9 and having a seperate system for XPlane 11 which will use only the one monitor. The move to XPlane then will involve dismantling the current set up, upgrading hardware (new MB/CPU/RAM) buying and setting up the VR. It will be a large and expensive transition and wont happen in a great hurry or without a great deal of further research. 

I have seen your screenies of XPlane and ortho4xp sceneries and I think you may have found sim heaven with it all. I can only imagine flying with that scenery and using VR. 

In the meantime, I am going to be very content and smugly complacent using fs9, slides all the way up and very, very smooth. In itself that is my temporary heaven. 

In reality, with all the advances being made in hardware and the new 64bit sim platforms, I think fs9 and FSX will eventually be consigned to the dark ages and indeed, it is already becoming redundant. Sad really.

Cheers

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

4 hours ago, gaputz said:

it took me a decade to get to the level of immersion I have now with FS9 so getting to that level with traffic and scenery is going to be a huge expense in time and money.  I say, why not enjoy the benefit of both platforms. 

Greg  

Couldn't agree more!

No doubt there are many like Jim and if everyone leaving FS9 were to begin a thread like this it would have the feel of the departure hall at Heathrow.  Perhaps we need a thread asking who is staying!  

Greg