Sign in to follow this  
jagabom

Moving on

19 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Sascha...

I have seen your screenies of XPlane and ortho4xp sceneries and I think you may have found sim heaven with it all. I can only imagine flying with that scenery and using VR. 

In the meantime, I am going to be very content and smugly complacent using fs9, slides all the way up and very, very smooth. In itself that is my temporary heaven.

That must be another Sacha;) as I am currently with you in sticking with FS9! Haven't transited to X-11 yet, and am pretty sure I will not this year.

1 hour ago, gaputz said:

No doubt there are many like Jim and if everyone leaving FS9 were to begin a thread like this it would have the feel of the departure hall at Heathrow.  Perhaps we need a thread asking who is staying!  

Greg

I do not feel the need to tell others whether I am staying or leaving...... 

But if others must know I'm staying....and my FS9 will continue to get better and better.

The only thorn in it's side is AES but you don't even get that in P3Diddy.:laugh:

For those of us who have become friends over the years on this forum, I think it's totally appropriate to let the community know that we've decided to stop using FS9. It's no insult to the platform, which has exceeded all reasonable expectations and a "fond farewell" affirms the relationships that many of us "old timers" have built over the years..

I freely admit that I rarely use FS9 anymore but I keep it on my hard drive as there are some sceneries that are in every way comparable to their FSX-SE counterparts and there are some aircraft like the DF727 that don't exist on the new platforms. If you are flying IFR from one outstanding payware airport to another with maxed out AI and all the upgraded textures and other tweaks for FS9, there's every reason to choose FS9 if there's a particular aircraft you want to use and the only view of the ground is a limited visibility, minimum ceiling departure and arrival into an outstanding payware airport with AES continuing to work.

VFR is a whole different matter unless you're flying a particularly beloved aircraft and doing low-level aerobatics where performance is everything. I will come back to ACG Duxford and fly a display routine in my RAS Spitfire XIV, or my Virtavia RNZAF Harvard over GodZone Marlborough for a long time yet!

So I say, enjoy the benefits of both until you decide that your new platform is the only one you want to use and say goodbye to a forum community where many of us have "hung out together" for the past 13 years!

C'est la Vie!

Ian

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

For those of us who have become friends over the years on this forum, I think it's totally appropriate to let the community know that we've decided to stop using FS9. It's no insult to the platform, which has exceeded all reasonable expectations and a "fond farewell" affirms the relationships that many of us "old timers" have built over the years..

I freely admit that I rarely use FS9 anymore but I keep it on my hard drive as there are some sceneries that are in every way comparable to their FSX-SE counterparts and there are some aircraft like the DF727 that don't exist on the new platforms.

C'est la Vie!

Ian

This is like me. I bought a new computer this past September and bought P3D 4.1. Now I hardly use FS9 anymore. Since I got the new computer I have only used FS9 2 or 3 times maybe.

Well I'm staying! Love my 2D panels, hate VC's. P3D choice of aircraft is very limiting, graphics are still same generation, nothing mind blowingly different. Everything else is likewise much of the same. Just not worth a switch imo. I'd be less happy with a P3D than FS9 even if not a single $$$ was involved in the transition process. I'd lose my Flight Keeper too! Forget it! lol

• Upvote 1

Mark Daniels

2 hours ago, Skywatcher said:

graphics are still same generation, nothing mind blowingly different.

Do you really believe that ?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Glynn said:

Do you really believe that ?

Yes!!! Mind blowing and improved are very different things. P3D is a revamped 2006 game is it not? 2- 3 years younger than a FS9?

Here's the biggest thing for me, yes, you heard it here first! lol
Lockheed Martin is operating under a very shady licensing scheme IMO. As the masses move from all these yucky 32 bit platforms P3D becomes increasingly more popular. The more popular, the closer it will get looked at. Now, just imagine if the way they are operating isn't determined to be in a satisfactory manner. Things could change literally overnight. The 64bit Super Sim could be ruler of the world one day, gone the next! Imagine if it happened!

It's a thought, may very well be a possibility. Anyone can reply to my suggestion but there is no one likely in this community who would have enough expertise or information available to dismiss what I say. It would simply be another opinion.

For me, FS9 is still the way to go or FSX. P3D as far as I'm concerned still needs more time under it's belt before I'd even think about putting a dollar into it.

My point is, the newer sims are not groundbreaking compared to anything in FS9 which almost runs itself on today's modern PC's headache free. The potential pitfalls of the newer sims, heck, plenty of time to sit on the fence till there is a genuine reason to jump off. I got a good view up here with my FS9 already so no mad rush to do anything!

Mark Daniels

1 hour ago, Skywatcher said:

P3D is a revamped 2006 game is it not? 2- 3 years younger than a FS9?

But light years ahead in development,

You haven't actually tried P3Dv4 have you ?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Glynn said:

I have not tried P3Dv4 yet.

"light years ahead in development" tosh.

Have you got rain in the VC yet? ...because FS9 had that light years ago.

Hi Folks,

LOL - seriously - to each his own for simulators - as mentioned I was a late bloomer with P3D and fought the urge pretty hard - I was a die hard 2D panel guy as well... Pretty much ignored my VC's all the time in FS9...

Cockpit VC glass - courtesy of TDFI and the B717 - rain - - - fog - - - and ice - in P3D... Other developers are licensing the technology as well...

Some of the biggest improvements you can't see - like how much Active Sky has improved over the years...

TrueGlass-Official-Reveal-Trailer.jpeg

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

6 hours ago, edetroit said:

Have you got rain in the VC yet? ...because FS9 had that light years ago.

Do you have cloud shadows, HDR lighting, dynamic lighting, 4096k textures etc in FS9 ?, how is your texture draw distance at altitude ?

Yes, no problem with VC rain, even the default aircraft have it, lots of development has happened since LM acquired the code in 2009, incidentally they have been working on P3D longer than MS actively supported FS9 and FSX combined and they haven't been sitting on their hands that's for sure.

TDFi Trueglass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0P-Osp6ZO0

1 hour ago, Glynn said:

Do you have cloud shadows, HDR lighting, dynamic lighting, 4096k textures etc in FS9 ?, how is your texture draw distance at altitude ?

I tried to edit my post but avsim went down for me.

I'm sure/glad P3Dv4 is finally getting it right but it has taken 16 years! ....and there is nothing light years about it.

I do not need oversized textures, overblown airports etc etc.... what I need is a brilliant FDE, great systems simulation and a good weather engine.....AND very important for flight GREAT FRAME RATES. 

When FSX was being developed I was asked what did I want in a new sim?. My answer was improved ATC and sloping runways...... how far have we got?.

I can see some P3Dv4 simulations coming up that I desire Maddog, 717, FSL A320. But I know where my true heart lies, L-1011, 747 classic, DC-10, DC-8, IL-76, An-12, Tu-154M  and other oldies. The best simulations of which are on my drive (or will be).

I guess I'm still smarting (after all these years) from the utterly appalling and embarrassing demo of FSX when it was released. (Stuttering frames in a C172 over the sea) and then the new coding for FSX (which no-one uses to this day). I am now very wary of any new sim that purports to be so great just because it offers new eye candy.

All of these great things you mention and I'm still winning screenshot competitions with FS9 and see no improvement in Simmer's piloting skillz. :laugh:

The last word has got to be.....each to their own.

Happy flying... or spotting...or whatever takes yer fancy.:biggrin:

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Glynn said:

Yes I have!!! lol

On a friends PC, we spent an entire afternoon of him trying to convince me to get it. TrackIR (blah) and everything!

There has been nothing in this thread to go even remotely close to showing me anything that is light years ahead. VC rain??? That's the best we can come up with??? "My rain drops are better than yours!" lol
Do the tires also slightly decompress as an aircraft touches down on the runway??? Who cares, it's a flight simulator!

Here! Look! Look! Look!

1 hour ago, edetroit said:

I do not need oversized textures, overblown airports etc etc.... what I need is a brilliant FDE, great systems simulation and a good weather engine.....AND very important for flight GREAT FRAME RATES.

Not quoted but also fully agreed with, edetroit said each to their own. These threads are fun! People should not be sour pusses and say they are not. haha

Mark Daniels

Hello all,

As Edetroit says "to each, his own"

I am probably in a fairly small circle here by using 6 monitors. Nothing I have tried so far in any other sim allows me to do this. 64bit platforms or no, the modern Sims may be lovely to look at and dribble over but, they are quite useless to me simply because the immersion factor that I derive from the use of the 6 monitors is not possible. this is due to a few factors not the least of which is my aged computer hardware.  However, I can find nobody on this or other forums who can run a similar set up with ANY hardware/software combination. They may well be out therebut they aint sharing or telling.

Given the above, I see the only real alternative for me is VR, which I am currently investigating. This too will involve expensive computer hardware upgrades but that level of immersion may, repeat, may offer the same level of immersion (for me) If in fact, I do go down this route, I think I will be forced to abandon FS9.  The reason I say this is because I do not think FS9 supports VR and I do not have room for my current cockpit and a VR set up. I think one would also need Flyinside and I dont think that is available for FS9. If FS9 could work with VR that would open up a whole new avenue for exploration and would really extend my love of FS9

I have been proven wrong in the past and as age progresses I am sure that "foot in mouth" disease will probably get worse. I do, however, firmly  believe that VR is the future of flight simming despite the fact that it appears cumbersome and a little intrusive at this time. 

Despite all of the above, it is very interesting to hear all the arguments for and against coming or going with the various platforms.

I really look forward  to hearing much more about everybodys preferences.

Regards to all

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I use both FS9 and FSX SE pretty equally. FSX runs great as long as I don't fill it up with traffic so it's a VFR simulator where I can do short hops to smaller urban areas. FS9 is used when I have a ton of AI happening in large urban areas and runs great. This is all done on a 10 year old CPU and I'm sure as hell not upgrading for the sole purpose of having a prettier sim, not with a daughter's university education to take care of.  It is a flight sim and not a scenery sim after all. I  vowed to my self to stop looking at all these new sims and Orbx because all it is, is creating  a want that I can't really afford. Just happy with what I have. 

And for Pete sakes, can we not have any more of these pointless "I'm leaving" posts? It always inevitably devolves into a "my sim's better than your sim" thread. Rant over. Just fly.....just fly.

Peace.

• Upvote 1