Sign in to follow this  
jagabom

Moving on

On 7.1.2018 at 8:51 PM, rgflores said:

Anyway FS9 will stay in my heart it was the longest time I played a MSFS. 

Well said!

Exactly my opinion.

As a layman, I am not entitled to a "professional" license for P3D anyways, so that makes my choice rather simple.

• Upvote 2

Best regards,

Christian Kelter

I do not mind these posts I find it quite interesting to see why people keep FS9 and why they move on. As long as we stay away from the "my sim is better than yours" conversation it can be quite interesting to see the reasoning to stay or move.

I love FS9 and I think I share the same reasons for keeping it as my sim of choice as most others, time & money :biggrin:

For me when I one day manage to get together enough money to build a very nice system x plane will be the way forward. I have tried the demo and I was really surprised at a couple of things. The handling of the aircraft and having a proper sloping runway was actually quite weird but interesting. 

I think a new system is a few years off for me so FS9 will not be going anywhere however I fear the day is coming closer. The sim works great better than I could ever imagine but the addon software is the issue. Scenery is getting outdated and the updates are slowly drying up. I was never really concerned or noticed this until recently when Active sky stopped the server connection to as6.5 and then I was shopping around for a new weather engine and I suddenly realised how our choices are getting more limited. It is still pretty good though.

• Upvote 1

Can you use Level-D 767 from FS9 in P3D. I would hate to give it up.

Nebojsa

38 minutes ago, JAT said:

Can you use Level-D 767 from FS9 in P3D. I would hate to give it up.

Nebojsa

$40.00 off for previous FS2004 version customers But the Level-D 767 P3D version is only for P3Dv3 , it will not work in the 64bit P3Dv4

What is the difference between P3DV3  and  P3DV4.  Is it only the 64 bit ?

nebojsa 

Never mind i got the answer.

nebojsa

For those of you who don't want to make the leap to P3D (any version) and like me were disappointed with FSX, Dovetail are currently selling FSX Steam Edition at a 75% discount. You can get the basic FSX-SE but there are also some bundles that will give you  some excellent enhancements that would cost a couple of hundred dollars if you got them separately at full price. I have no interest in generating any negative replies here so please keep your negative opinions to yourself. But for those who tried FSX and rejected it and who don't want to make the big leap to P3D, I can tell you that the Steam Edition is everything that FSX should have been when it was released. Many of your payware sceneries have a free option for an FSX version, or in other cases a very big discount so most of your favorite places to fly will still be there, as well as a lot of freeware. With some patience, you can convert your AI to work in FSX-SE and there are several payware-quality freeware airplanes I can recommend as well as FSX versions of quite a few of the most popular FS9 airplanes. For less than a meal at McDonald's, you can give it a try and decide for yourself whether it's worth the change. And as I have said on this forum numerous times, you can keep FS9 and enjoy them both. FS9'ers of the world unite! Try FSX-SE. What have you got to lose but a few dollars! (with apologies to Karl Marx). And it is calorie-free so you're better off than buying that Big Mac and fries anyway. 

Please, no stupid rhetoric. It's all been said before ad nauseum and the only response you will get out of me is a raised eyebrow that there are still some people on even this forum who seem to get more fun out of being trolls than genuine flightsim addicts.. But for my die-hard FS9 friends, it's just a suggestion that you can give FSX-SE a try and see for yourself whether or not it's worthwhile. My experience was that there was a very small learning curve. If you like it and want some ideas of some good enhancements to get the most out of it, send me a PM and I'd be glad to help you avoid my mistakes!! :-)

Cheers

Ian

• Upvote 2

One caveat from an FSX:SE user with no experience of FS9: Do you get out of memory issues (VAS) with FS9? SE is good, but it has the 4Gb VAS limit (my 24Gb RAM means nothing LOL!)

I bought FSW when it was dirt cheap recently for similar reasons:- What did I have to lose apart from a few quid. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 hours ago, HighBypass said:

One caveat from an FSX:SE user with no experience of FS9: Do you get out of memory issues (VAS) with FS9? SE is good, but it has the 4Gb VAS limit (my 24Gb RAM means nothing LOL!)

I bought FSW when it was dirt cheap recently for similar reasons:- What did I have to lose apart from a few quid. :cool:

For the years I have used FS9 the only time I had a out of memory issue was because of a scenery I had (and the developer fixed the issue).

• Upvote 1

Joseph et all,

I used to have many CTDs (out of memory failures) in the beginning, but the 4GB patch fixed the problem beautifully and PERMANENTLY. A definite must have for FS2004 and it is now one of the first addons I install.

Speaking of "moving on" and also as an update, I am very seriously considering the Virtual Reality option as an alternative to my use of 6 monitors. This, I believe is NOT an option for my very much beloved FS2004 but it will (maybe) allow me to access other platforms in a meaningful way.

If and when I eventually make this transition, I will provide an update

Regards to all and long live FS9

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

15 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

Please, no stupid rhetoric. It's all been said before ad nauseum and the only response you will get out of me is a raised eyebrow that there are still some people on even this forum who seem to get more fun out of being trolls than genuine flightsim addicts.. But for my die-hard FS9 friends, it's just a suggestion that you can give FSX-SE a try and see for yourself whether or not it's worthwhile. My experience was that there was a very small learning curve.

It's a small learning curve to jump from FS9 to FSX or P3D because as I touched on earlier they are all still basically the same sim, living in the same generation. Reading some of the remarks from the users of other sims you would think we are running FS9 on our 2 color screens on our 1979 computers.

Each sim has it's own advantages and disadvantages as far as addon aircraft and scenery are concerned. No, you can't fly plane "X" in FS9 but there are plane "X's" in FS9 you can't fly in the other sims! Duh, silly argument! The simming aspect of each sim is basically the same, the planes all fly very well regardless which sim it is. ATC is the same, AI is the same, the way everything functions in any of the sims is basically the same.

The major differences between any of these sims from a simulation aspect are very minor and it's the graphical quality which is the greatest difference. So, to gain this extra graphical quality you have these things to consider:

FSX is a 32 bit platform pushed easily beyond it's limits. Myself not using it has nothing to do with owning a poor PC, it's the having to babysit my flight program so it doesn't spit the dummy on me and throw a fit. I don't want to deal with things like that when I can run anything in FS9 and never have to worry about VAS and being dumped out of my flight just as I'm about to land.
P3D is 64 bit and removes the VAS issues of FSX BUT it simply needs more time. It's a risk imo as I mentioned earlier due to the licensing set up. Then, as each P3D version comes along, too much changes so many addons from the previous version may no longer work and your $$$ and enjoyment of a particular addon may be gone.

As a flightsim addict, FS9 imo is still the logical choice. You don't have to worry about 32 bit issues as you do in FSX and you don't have to worry about how many $$$ you are sinking into a sim which might just eat all those $$$ away in time aka P3D.

In summary, any of the 3 sims are great flight simulators. All 3 sims have their pitfalls. I'll take the reduced graphic quality and the most stable flight sim with nothing to worry about other than where I want to fly too. As time moves on things may change. I'll be happy to move on when I consider one of the other sims can offer me a better deal. One day due to the content each sim offers I may very well use all 3 of them! 

Should also mention, I know 2 commercial airline pilots and they both flight sim and both use FS9. Go figure! lol

Some people may be flight simmers, some may be gamers, some may be a bit of both. Each one of these types could send you to a different flight sim program.

• Upvote 2

Mark Daniels

Hi to everybody,

I am resurrecting this thread because there's no need to start another, I guess. I've started "flying" on the Amiga, then Flight Unlimited came along, and Fly! and FS2002 and... you know the story. I've been away from my FS9 for the past 4 years due to RL stuff but by now, the itch is getting unbearable! So, I said, OK, years have passed, surely there's a better sim out there!

Is there? I am simply asking for an advice although after reading this and many other threads, watching many videos showing off P3D, Xplane11, I am not so sure anymore. My reasons are thus:

In my FS9.5 as we called it, I flew airliners for 95% of time. I had AES, FlighKeeper, FSNAV, Track-IR, some HW modules, add-on ATC and tons of airports, aircraft and so on. And zero problems. I still have the old rig, it was -is- a dedicated flight sim computer. All I have to do is install FSFK, AES, FSUIPC and a few other things on my other PC and I'm all set. If I can find the license keys for everything, that is. 

So, am I crazy wanting something else? Among other things I want to fly the old Ralph Tofflemire's B747-200 into Kai-Tak, listen to ATC chatter, see other AC in the air, have a jetway connect to my aircraft at the gate (you DO wave to the AES guy after pushback, don't you? :)). 

What I don't want is no AES, crappy ATC, no AI, no seasons by default and an investment into a new rig to drive some beast of a sim (P3D?)

I answered my own dilemma, I guess... still, I'd love to hear your opinion. Inspite of flying the big tubes I am a sucker for visuals, but the things I mentioned are more important to me than 2.000 autogen buildings and trees per square meter and giant 4K textures where you can see a snail crossing the highway. Immersion like I am used to in the FS9. Can it be had in another sim (X-plane 11 or P3D v4.) or I better stick with the old gal? Or I am hopelessly behind the times? I'm not of FB, you know... ;)

Thanks for your thoughts! 

Jure

• Like 1

Jure, try whichever one seems the best bet to you, I have, but NEVER delete your old faithful FS2004.

• Like 1

Last weekend I had enough. On the AIG forums there was the announcement of the multiple week flightplans. These plans cannot be installed for fs9. 

I have fs9. Tons of addons, tons of (payware) airports and lots of addons that give my sims enough eyecandy. I have a very smooth running sim with high frame rates even in the most demanding areas like the northeast corridor. I love flying commercial airliners on short routes. 

I started to dive into p3d v4. Asked some questions, had a chat with an ex-fs9 user and I found out that p3d is a very demanding sim for your system. I have a i7 (3,4 ghz), 16GB Ram and a GTX970 but that is not the best system for p3d. With my wishes for a flightsim I seriously will get a slide show at JFK for example. 

I decided to stay with fs9. I still gives me so much joy, there is still so much work to do (now Im working on the Afcad’s of my airports) and still the fs9 gives me very nice surprises when I meet a special livery ai-aircraft or when the sun sets on a approach. 

I simply spent too much time, energy and money to leave this one. It became a part of my life, ending this will end up in some serious trauma for me. 

Edited by meesterlijk
Typo’s
  • Like 1