Sign in to follow this  

ENVTEX > ASCA skies confusion

I'd like to use ENVTEX skies dynamically through ASCA. So I installed ASCA and disabled everything but the skies. After that I installed the Full Dynamic there. Then I installed ENVTEX and disabled everything but the skies. I manually set the path to ASCA and set ASCA Integration to ENVTEX textures only.

And here is where the manual stops giving me the needed information... I do see the Install to sim button but the manual doesn't say if I have to select a specific sky or not... Right now the Sky shows Random but in the drop down menu I see 11 skies. (Is that all btw...?!) Do I have to select a certain sky or do I just have to click the Install to sim button? Will the 'ENVTEX textures only' ensure that ALL textures are copied into ASCA?

Since I did this, this morning I can share your confusion.

Here you see what you get when set to Full Dynamics

asca.jpg

If you then click Settings >WX influence configuration you should see this. The list of ENVTEX sky textures as you see here and another page long 64 in total of ENVTEX
list.jpg

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Thanks! I clicked on the 'Install in sim' button without selecting anything (but after making sure ENVTEX textures only was enabled) and yes, after a restart of ASCA all those ENVTEX skies are in the list! And I also noticed all ASCA original skies are unticked for every WX profile so indeed the ENVTEX ones are used. Nice!

17 minutes ago, J van E said:

Thanks! I clicked on the 'Install in sim' button without selecting anything (but after making sure ENVTEX textures only was enabled) and yes, after a restart of ASCA all those ENVTEX skies are in the list! And I also noticed all ASCA original skies are unticked for every WX profile so indeed the ENVTEX ones are used. Nice!

Glad your sorted J.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

You will enjoy these clouds Jeroen.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 minutes ago, GSalden said:

You will enjoy these clouds Jeroen.

ASCA+ENVTEX is just for Skies Gerard.

So we now have 
1. Active Sky as the weather engine (but you could use REX Sky Force)
2. Active Sky Cloud Art for sky colours but see 3. below
3  Envtex for sky colour textures
4  Rex Sky Force for cloud models and textures

Also
REX Textures HD for Water / Runway
or Envtex for Water / Runway
and/ or PTA for third party preset
and/ or Rex SkyForce for PTA preset
or a single Envshade preset

No wonder people are confused!

• Upvote 1

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Would you  mind showing a screen shot of ASCA and ENVTEX skies where '...noticed all ASCA original skies are unticked for every WX profile so indeed the ENVTEX ones are used...'?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

OK,

I found what I was looking for...I wanted to see the various check marks (weather and geo profiles) when I clicked on a particular Envtex sky texture:

ASCA.jpg

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

1 hour ago, TonyD said:

So we now have 
1. Active Sky as the weather engine 
2. Active Sky Cloud Art for sky colours 
3  Envtex for sky colour textures
4  Rex Sky Force for cloud models and textures

Correct Tony.

I have also put it in my sig below.

ASP4 + ASCA + EnvTex + PTA

Dawn.jpg

Dusk.jpg

Plus every vid on my webpage

https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

New P3D user confused about various sky/cloud/texture packages.

So I have installed P3D4.4 + ASP4 + ASCA + PTA

I load ASP4 before the sim - is that correct?

I notice that ASP4 fires up ASCA, and then hides it.

Questions:

1) Considering the above, is it therefore legitimate for the user to open ASCA and select various sky/cloud texture setups, even though ASP4 seems to want to take control of ASCA? (Does this require the sim to be closed?) If I set ASP4 to do real-world real-time weather, am I still allowed to select the ASCA setup I prefer, or does ASP4 now control all that as it is running?

2) I also have PTA with Mike's recommended preset in action. Does this interact with the above? If so, how?

3) If I am after the best realistic look and feel I can get, should I also be using EnvTex with the above? How does that fit in - what does it add? It seems like it is going to conflict with ASCA. If so, what is the right/best way to configure EnvTex?

4) Did I make good choices or should I have bought the REX equivalents? 🙂

So many complex things to get yer head around with all these various package.

Cheers

So which is the best for sky textures, ASCA, REX or Envtex?. Also how do you achieve the most accurate skies that change by the minute. I would like to just let everything go automatic and be surprised whenever I start a flight. Oh yeah, there is also REX environment force that will be coming out to soon to confuse us all again 😉

15 minutes ago, bosflo said:

So which is the best for sky textures, ASCA, REX or Envtex?. Also how do you achieve the most accurate skies that change by the minute. I would like to just let everything go automatic and be surprised whenever I start a flight. Oh yeah, there is also REX environment force that will be coming out to soon to confuse us all again 😉

The "best" is whichever combination YOU like.  I prefer ASCA/Envtex.  Try and decide,

@SledDriver

1)You setup ASCA selections first or after sim is started - ASP4 will change accoedingly

2) PTA tweaks specifc settings and can work with ASCA

3)ASCA/Envtex work fine together. The dev's of Envtex have a companion product Envshade which basically does what PTA does.

4) Your choices are just fine. As with any product there those that prefer a different one. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks for the replies.

So if I add EnvTex to the mix, what do I let each package do? I read stuff regarding limiting what EnvTex can do when used with ASCA.

Are there some recommendations as to how to set them both up?

Cheers

Edited by SledDriver