Sign in to follow this  

ENVTEX > ASCA skies confusion

Envtex can be run and set and then closed. ASP4/ASCA run while sim is running.

To start - run envtex - accept defaults and apply

Run asp4 with defaults and asca. - In asca select global mode.

Then fly in different areas for a week and see how you like it.

There is no "one size fits all perfect setting" - you can crank up the resolution and layers if your system can handle it or tone them down and still get a fantastic experience.

IMHO, I want to spend less time tweaking and adjusting and more time flying. The clincher is simple - do you like what you see, is it accurate and can your system handle it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

2 hours ago, SledDriver said:

Thanks for the replies.

So if I add EnvTex to the mix, what do I let each package do? I read stuff regarding limiting what EnvTex can do when used with ASCA.

Are there some recommendations as to how to set them both up?

Cheers

I agree with Vic -- don't get too caught up in constantly tweaking it.  Fly some, if you don't like what you see, change it.

I use ASP4 + ASCA and PTA.  I do not use Envtex.  I rarely change my settings in ASCA.  However, if I want to change something in ASCA, I start it up by itself, make the change and exit.  Then I start ASP4 and it will auto-start ASCA with my new preferences.  Same goes for PTA -- I rarely change presets.  Once I find something I like, I go with it.

My start order is ASP4 + ASCA, then P3D.

Actually I use batch files now, but that's a whole other can of worms :)

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

4 hours ago, bosflo said:

So which is the best for sky textures, ASCA, REX or Envtex?. Also how do you achieve the most accurate skies that change by the minute. I would like to just let everything go automatic and be surprised whenever I start a flight. Oh yeah, there is also REX environment force that will be coming out to soon to confuse us all again 😉

I'm now thinking about uninstalling envtex because I already have ASCA, AS, and REX skyforce. I think I am overloaded!

In my opinion, Envtex' sky textures are the most realistic of all. ASCA also has some nice textures, but some of them are unrealistic. I let ASCA inject sky textures from Envtex dynamically, which works well.

After a year and trying all option I still think this is the best of all options.

1. Active Sky as the weather engine 
2. Active Sky Cloud Art ONLY for sky colours with...
3  Envtex for sky colour textures set to suit the region your flying. I think it called dynamic.
4  Rex Sky Force for cloud models with cloud structures I've not seen in anything else that looks so good., Soft stunning clouds that give a fantastic soft look to full overcast. 

5. The icing on the cake is Tomato shade with R&D preset with my own VC lighting and terrain lighting tweaks. Also, I have haze within the preset turned off. AS does the job fine.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

in order to get the dynamic sky of ENVTEX with ASCA, do i need to set ASCA to full dynamics or global auto ?

i feel like the sky is always the same colors.. 🙄

23 minutes ago, lidorx7 said:

in order to get the dynamic sky of ENVTEX with ASCA, do i need to set ASCA to full dynamics or global auto ?

i feel like the sky is always the same colors.. 🙄

It doesn't make a difference whether you set ASCA to full dynamics or global automatic when it comes to sky colors (it only matters for cloud textures and structures). When you fly during daytime, there is not going to be that much variation, but when you fly during dawn/dusk, you should see different sky colors depending on day and region. However, make sure that in Envtex, you set to use Envtex sky textures only.

1 minute ago, Afterburner said:

It doesn't make a difference whether you set ASCA to full dynamics or global automatic when it comes to sky colors (it only matters for cloud textures and structures). When you fly during daytime, there is not going to be that much variation, but when you fly during dawn/dusk, you should see different sky colors depending on day and region. However, make sure that in Envtex, you set to use Envtex sky textures only.

i think that is my problem. im flying most of the time during the same hour.. 13:00 PM..

dusk make my sim stutter to death. do you know what can cause it?

When you fly during dusk, what is your GPU load?  And what are your shadows settings?

What's the best settings to have REX sky force for clouds, Active Sky for the weather, Envtex for sky colors. I am confused between ASCA and Envtex. because they seem to do the same thing. I would like to have the skies change where and when I am flying based on the weather conditions. Just trying to get a real as possible. Of course this will change when REX environment force comes out which should make all this easier 😉

22 hours ago, lidorx7 said:

i think that is my problem. im flying most of the time during the same hour.. 13:00 PM..

dusk make my sim stutter to death. do you know what can cause it?

Dynamic lighting? 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

12 hours ago, bosflo said:

What's the best settings to have REX sky force for clouds, Active Sky for the weather, Envtex for sky colors. I am confused between ASCA and Envtex. because they seem to do the same thing. I would like to have the skies change where and when I am flying based on the weather conditions. Just trying to get a real as possible. Of course this will change when REX environment force comes out which should make all this easier 😉

This might help

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Uninstalling Envtex is a mess! I followed the procedure step by step but have now problems with ASCA which does not load anymore. Probably I need to uninstall and reinstall ASCA and hoping this will help. I am done with Envtex for a while.

I am also not sure if I have got back my original textures. Is there a way to prove this?

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Thank you, I will try it. Do I need to open sky force and AS every time I want to fly?

8 hours ago, Nemo said:

Uninstalling Envtex is a mess! I followed the procedure step by step but have now problems with ASCA which does not load anymore. Probably I need to uninstall and reinstall ASCA and hoping this will help. I am done with Envtex for a while.

I am also not sure if I have got back my original textures. Is there a way to prove this?

Just to be sure I reinstall the content to get the originals back.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV