Sign in to follow this  
Funky

P3D -Carenado icing problem - lose power

Hey guys,

When i fly my c185 in p3d (i love it) i got some huge issues in cold air. I know it is injected engine and doesnt have carb heat, but also try to smash the H button (like in the old fsx days) but it doesnt do anything and i still lose power.

I have the latest c185 download from simmarket.

I dont know what to do and how i can solved it, anyone have some idea ?

Are you losing RPM or just full and no airspeed? Don't own the Cessna, in a few other Carenado twins I own, I found the while onset of  surface icing is a nice feature, it's hard to just wait for it as there is no visual clue on wings/windshield. Was the -185 FI even modeled correctly?

RPM is still full (and it stay there) but the mp are going down and also the airspeed, even with full power

No model for ice, never see it on the wingshield.

Icing isn't "modeled" but on a few aircraft like the Majestic Dash and Flight1's Mustang (maybe the King Air from them too). The problem sounds like you ARE experiencing icing, but the 185 doesn't "de-ice." Probably have to head down to warmer air because the structural ice is blocking your air intake as well. :-)

isn't this the induction icing/bug that allows the air intake of the engine to ice up? the only way to solve it is to descend to warmer air...like it or not.

There are accidents of fuel injected piston engine failing in icing conditions...even with known ice approved airplanes.   

Hi Folks,

Yep - while not the traditional icing - a PC12 turbine went down with a plane load of kids somewhere around Montana a few years back - because they didn’t add the cold weather additive to the aircraft fuel to keep it from freezing - IIRC...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Icing is not physically modelled. In that you won't "see" the icing on the wings and rarely on the windscreen. I doubt if it would ever be modelled as  it would probably have to be an effect. However, it can be simulated and that is probably what you are experiencing. I'm afraid for the aircraft type there is no icing protection at all and your only option, as it would be in the real world is to descend to warmer air or get out of the cloud layer. And yes with icing you can have full power and fly like a brick. You are lucky that it was only simulated otherwise you wouldn't have been able to write about it!!!

Hi:

Press the H key for carb heat. P3D /FSX can't tell between carburated and injected engines. As soon as you press H, the engine will jump back to life.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

10 hours ago, bob34 said:

Hi:

Press the H key for carb heat. P3D /FSX can't tell between carburated and injected engines. As soon as you press H, the engine will jump back to life.

Carb heat does not unfortunately clear the ice from the wings. Which can and is modelled in all the sims. However, it is up to the aircraft developer to initiate it in the air files.