Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Three quick questions about the REX SF

1. May I use without their Weather Engine separately

2. Does it include REX SOFT-like textures. It's my primary texture pack since 2015.

3. Is there something REALLY new as far as clouds' textures concerned or it's just another textures' pack and I may happily live further with my REX SOFT package and some some $40 (I also own REX Texture Overdrive and I barely use it)

Thanks 

1. Yes. Just disable the included weather engine and you're done.

2. I don't own REX Soft clouds but I think the clouds are more similar to TD...?

3, The new part are the extra models/structures. P3D, like FSX, uses models/structures for clouds on which textures are being projected. SF adds more models (injected or not) and its textures contain more variation. Other than that it's same old bunch of textures, though only for skies and clouds, so no water and runway textures. I do think the new models also benefit from the new textures but I am not totally sure about that.

So far the skies look fuller and more diverse with SF, I have to say, but if it is worth the money only you can decide.

Hi Jeroen,

I printed out your guide to setting SF 3D up properly, the "Basic REX Sky Force 3D + Active Sky tutorial", and today I resolved to try sorting it all out 9with ASCA too, for sky textures).

However, I'm sort of stuck right at the start. You say "Start REX and go to the Options Engine". Which is that. When I start SF3D I get "click here'"s for:

Randomize, Customize, Flight Plane, and Settings

Nothing actually called Options! Each of the about takes me to other things, none of which really correspond to anything in your instructions -- oh, except in "Customize" I do get the odd icons all down the left, one of which is the "cube" where I have checked pretty much everything, as per your advice.

The other thing I need to find is where to disable sky textures so I can use ASCA for those instead.

Thanks!
Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Click on the gear icon in the lower left corner of the interface and you will see a row if icons at the bottom of the screen, starting with General. Further to the right there is one called Engine! Even more to the right there is one called Install and there you can disable various textures like the skies.

That screen with 'click here's' is a confusing screen because all those option can also be found in the menu at the left of the screen already. These will lead you to the exact same screens. REX should have left that entire 'click here' screen out of it, really.

And btw REX posted elsewhere that my screenshots do not show any SkyForce models, even though I did absolutely everything by the book. I wonder, what can you do wrong when you only have to click on an install button...? :huh: But anyway, until they tell me how to do it properly (which they very unfortunately failed to do, which isn't exactly helpful...) my guide should be handled with caution...  

Thanks for the assist, Jeroen. I'll take another look!

And doing all this to no avail, as your last comment implies, is rather annoying. If that's the case for others too, why the hullabaloo about how wonderful it is? Placebo?

Best
Pete

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Placebo?

Well, that's an effect EVERY flightsimmer seems to have in his or her flightsim. :tongue:

What guide you're talking about? May I have a link?

Thanks!

The answer to whether it is worth the trouble is always going to be highly subjective.

I have a backup drive littered with old weather engines and texture replacements, and was a little wary of paying for yet one more.

My take .... 

The Sky Force weather engine does not appear to be in favour with pmdg, so regardless of anything else I will continue using Active Sky.

Cloud models and textures......Sky Force looks better than anything I have tried before.

One surprising outcome, better performance when using Sky Force in heavy cloud.

Sky colours....take your pick...much depends on your monitor's colour calibration.

So no change from the past 5 years...Active Sky for weather, REX for textures.

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

2 minutes ago, TonyD said:

The answer to whether it is worth the trouble is always going to be highly subjective.

I have a backup drive littered with old weather engines and texture replacements, and was a little wary of paying for yet one more.

My take .... 

The Sky Force weather engine does not appear to be in favour with pmdg, so regardless of anything else I will continue using Active Sky.

Cloud models and textures......Sky Force looks better than anything I have tried before.

One surprising outcome, better performance when using Sky Force in heavy cloud.

Sky colours....take your pick...much depends on your monitor's colour calibration.

So no change from the past 5 years...Active Sky for weather, REX for textures, models and structures.

Fixed it for you.

• Upvote 1

Eric 

So is REX Soft Clouds going away with SF or no?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

21 hours ago, G-YMML1 said:

What guide you're talking about? May I have a link?

Thanks!

I think it was it a detailed post from Jeroen deep in this thread, long scrolled off:

I printed a copy at the time,  for reference!

Pete