Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Just installed KB4056892 and lost about 25% of my performance...or did I...?

No difference at all here, either.

Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

20 minutes ago, bjratchf said:

I haven't noticed anything different at all... I didn't even know this patch was installed!?

And you shouldn't notice any difference. From what I read, the Microsoft patch is only half of the fix for the Spectre vulnerability. It's the second half, a BIOS upgrade to your motherboard, when available, that will change the way the CPU functions, that could slow down performance. The Spectre vulnerability is at a hardware level, and any software patch cannot fix it completely. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

59 minutes ago, guenseli said:

but frames go down in certain sight angles.

I have to say, I have only issues on some heavy add-ons, other than that pretty smooth. Last night update didn't produce any issues....for now at least....will monitor....

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

2 hours ago, simbol said:

The concern security advisors have is that the exploits allows cyber criminals to steal passwords (or other information) without leaving any trace plus antivirus programs would find it very difficult (if not impossible) to detect it.

So for example any data stored on your cookies (credit cards, user home address, bitcoins wallets, etc.) could be stolen just by visiting a website with specially crafted java scripts, the same could happen via trojans arriving via email, etc.

I recommend reading this article as it has plenty of examples about the dangers and posible problems if users don't protect against these exploits: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/meltdown-and-spectre-heres-what-intel-apple-microsoft-others-are-doing-about-it/

Regards 

Simbol 

Thank you for that clear explanation.  As I have no passwords on my sim SSD I guess there is little to exploit.  In my triple-boot platform I always do my FS related purchases on a different OS/SSD so should install the updates for that OS/SSD for sure.  I will read the arstechnica article thanks ;o)

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

29 minutes ago, Noel said:

Thank you for that clear explanation.  As I have no passwords on my sim SSD I guess there is little to exploit.  In my triple-boot platform I always do my FS related purchases on a different OS/SSD so should install the updates for that OS/SSD for sure.  I will read the arstechnica article thanks ;o)

Do you visit Facebook, check email or visit websites on your Sim PC? if you do, you are at risk.

I have been running with the patches already since Wednesday last week and I have zero impact on my performance, my advise is to patch every system as we don;t know how cyber criminals will use these exploits, remember that is their Job find ways to get in to steal anything they can.

Best Regards,

Simbol

I have CTD'd 3 times in 2 days since it was installed.

I don't remember a CTD ever before.

2 minutes ago, n99wb said:

I have CTD'd 3 times in 2 days since it was installed.

I don't remember a CTD ever before.

Do you overclock? If you do recheck your OC is stable now with the patches.

S

1 minute ago, simbol said:

Do you overclock? If you do recheck your OC is stable now with the patches.

S

Nope, it's all stock.

Results here of the patch with BIOS updates applied: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbhKUjPRk5Q

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 minute ago, vortex681 said:

Results here of the patch with BIOS updates applied: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbhKUjPRk5Q

I don't see any performance drop on my Intel 6700k, however I am more interested to see result from older CPU generations.

At work we have several desktops using the Intel CPUs second and third generation (i3, i5,-2000 / 3000 series) and the windows speculation controls results are returning with PCID optimisation disabled.

Some users are reporting that their PC's are slower when running certain applications and we have now confirmed that this situation is only happening on machines where the PCID optimisation is disabled, we have also confirmed 10 to 15% performance loss in one of our Oracle data servers which is using an older version of Intel Xeon processors, so I must conclude that older processors will fare less favorable after these patches.

The good news is that theses performance losses doesn't seem to affect very badly our flying sim PC's, but as a overall it is clear that data centres will see inevitable some sort of performance losses unless they are using hardware with processors that are relatively new.

Best Regards,
Simbol