Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

RW arrival gate vs approch choice question

I was wondering if at large airports with parallel runways if the planned arrival gate is taken into consideration when assigning landing runway. Consider 27L might be the best assignment for an airliner inbound from the south but his arrival gate might be on the other side of the airport causing a very long taxi. Giving him an approach to 27R would necessitate vectoring through the approach or arrival paths  of 27L being unpractical on a busy day even though his gate may be just off 27R. I was wondering if his destination on the airport proper is even considered by ATC assigning STARS and approaches or would they even know or care apart from pilot request which may be unfeasible due to traffic load.

Vic green

I don't think they care, for ATC it is more important to keep proper separation and everyone safety, for this reason they will always follow the public arrivals charts information and rules, so depending of where planes are inbound they will be vectored in accordance with the airport STARs charts.

I think most airlines will check the weather and know in advance what is the probability of the weather during the scheduled arrival and using this information pilots would use a FP that would give them a preferable runway (when posible) and if this is not the case pilots can also request a different runway when they contact approach although it is not 100% warrantied they will get it.

Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 1

Yes, they absolutely will take it into account.

I know of a private pilot who specially asked for a runway that would take him to the left side of the facility. It ended very badly.

But if you request to be on a specific side ATC will TRY to accommodate. They may not be able to do it for you, but they will if they can.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes they (ATC) asks, sometimes they don't.  I've tried to get on different arrivals based on the gate I was parking at.  However in all actuality, they want you on the ground, and if its busy, you will get assigned a runway that might work or might not for your situation. 

If you are coming in at an off-peak time, then chances are better for you getting a approach that puts you on the correct side of the airport.

• Upvote 1

KDFW seems to do this with their patterns.

Study this https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KDFW and this https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=kdfw for about 30 or so minutes and this pattern becomes clear.

It seems that switching sides on the ground is the preferred way.

I've experienced this as a passenger.

• Upvote 1

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I'm sure it's taken into consideration. KLAX has 4 parallel rwys and, by and large, the intended terminal dictates which runway they take (usually either 24R/6L or 25L/7R). They usually use the longer runways on each side for departing traffic. Of course that is not always the case.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin_28 said:

I'm sure it's taken into consideration. KLAX has 4 parallel rwys and, by and large, the intended terminal dictates which runway they take (usually either 24R/6L or 25L/7R). They usually use the longer runways on each side for departing traffic. Of course that is not always the case.

With airports that have parallel runways in such a layout, it's usually the inboard runways that are used for take-off and the outboard runways for landing. The idea is that once the departing aircraft rolls on by, the arriving aircraft can cross the runway.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I fly airliners only and try to get the correct procedures and gates. During my research into the process, I found that ATC typically will try to fit you in from the direction you are coming from. Using LAX as an example,  Traffic taking off to the north will probably get runway 24L/6R (inboard runway) and aircraft landing from the north (say from SFO) will probably land 24R/6L. An airport like DEN will do something similar but instead use East/West situation. (Arrivals from the west would typically get 34L/16R, etc..) There are exceptions. For example KEWR rarely uses 11/29 as the preferred runways for take off are the 22s. More exceptions, during certain times of night, the pattern changes (noise abatement), or a runway can be closed (be sure to check the NOTAMs), etc...

• Upvote 2

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

16 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

With airports that have parallel runways in such a layout, it's usually the inboard runways that are used for take-off and the outboard runways for landing. The idea is that once the departing aircraft rolls on by, the arriving aircraft can cross the runway.

Sure that makes sense as well. I also assumed that runway length had a bit of say in it as well. I generally see longer runways being used for departures over shorter.

8 hours ago, Kevin_28 said:

Sure that makes sense as well. I also assumed that runway length had a bit of say in it as well. I generally see longer runways being used for departures over shorter.

It would appear, at least in the case of LAX, that the inboard runways also happen to be the longer runways.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.