Sign in to follow this  
jwillyf

Out of Memory problems

I am running FSX DVD version with accelerator on Windows 10, with 8 Mbytes of RAM, an Intel i7-4770K processor at a speed of 3.5, and an NVidia Geforce GTX 780 card.

I am trialling the latest verson of Pilot2ATC in 64 bit, and am so far very impressed. I have had a couple of FSX crashes with out of memory error messages however, which I have never had prior to using Pilot2ATC.

I have reduced taxi and autogen density and my current flight is so far stable. I am monitoring VAS through FSUIPC and although it has steadily fallen, it is now hovering around a figure of 1220000.

I have read posts where Dave quotes 16 Mbytes of RAM is needed, but my understanding is that VAS problems relate to FSX limitations, and that increasing RAM would not help.

Am I correct? I would not want to commit to purchase of Pilot2ATC worrying that I am going to expose myself to regular out of memory problems.

Thanks

You're correct.

I've got 24Gb of RAM, but FSX:SE has a maximum VIRTUAL address space of 4Gb (not RAM). Once that 4Gb is used up then.. OOM!

In fact the sim was bleeping at me today. I did a 4 hour + flight in the Carenado Cessna 337 from Nice, France to Liverpool all in one go (great autopilot!).  :biggrin: I have VFR Real photoreal scenery for the UK and numerous UK 2000 airports (Liverpool is one). I got a couple of the warning bleeps when on approach and taxiing in, but fortunately no crashes.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Got to go with p3d 64 bit and put away the fsx woes. Thsts what I'm doing not to mention the awesome XP 11 which is growing to maturity. I've had enough of the OOM ding.

• Upvote 1

:P Timothy Murphy

No. The new version of P2A is a 64 bit program and is not limited to the 4GB of virtual memory.  That is, in fact, why I upgraded the program to x64.  The x86 version was occasionally hitting virtual memory limits.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies.

I see the attraction of P3D but starting with add ons all over again.... Time and money!

59 minutes ago, jwillyf said:

Thanks for the replies.

I see the attraction of P3D but starting with add ons all over again.... Time and money!

It's time and money that is very well worth it if you give importance to your flight sim experience.  I still have FSX on my computer just to be able to fly the QualityWings 787 and PMDG MD11, but that's all add ons.  I don't even think about OOMs anymore.

Out of curiosity I ran the same flight under the same conditions with the same add-ons but no P2A.

If anything there was less VAS available without P2A!

Looks like I will be purchasing the software.

Dave,

On the same subject the 2.4 version recommends 16Gb of RAM.  I am running with version 2.2 and 8 Gb.  All OK but would like to run with the best version I can (I love it by the way).  Looking at the download options it appears it is 2.4 or nothing.  Can I or is it worth trying to get a 2.3 down load, stick with what I have or....what? I am not going to 16Gb any day soon as this appears to be the only reason for upgrading at the moment..

If you're not having problems, I would stick with what you have until you get 16GB of memory.

The main reason the program is now available only as a 64bit program is because users were having severe issues caused by lack of virtual memory. 

You could also download the full 2.4 version (not the update) and install it to a different directory.  You can then test it out and see how it performs.