Sign in to follow this  
SimSlim

737 NGX Startup Plane Flip and Crash

I've been enjoying the NGX for several years now but there is an annoying event that occurs at what so far seems to be random times. I've searched the forum repeatedly for this problem but I see no mention of it yet.  I'm using FSX-SE on Win 10. 

Here the problem, occasionally, when I select a saved NGX flight with a fully setup FMC flight (while starting the sim fresh or after just completing another flight), right at the beginning of the 18 second countdown the plane will begin to flip about wildly on the tarmac, usually about the pitch axis, and of course a crash is detected and the flight starts over.  On the second go it usually stays put but the entire panel state is lost and all work that went into it is gone.   If I close and restart the sim the same wild flip crash will again happen for that saved flight.   

These crashing saved flights only occur once and a while (maybe 25% of the time) and many times I can save a flight and open it later with no problem.   I haven't been able to determine what might be wrong but I suspect it is something that I can adjust if I just knew where to start.  I have Saitek Pedals and Yolk but the problem occurs whether they are connected or not.  I'm really at a loss and I was hoping to get some insight from the knowledgeable users here.  One thing I haven't done is uninstall and re-install the NGX.

Flip_Crash.jpg

Thanks for you help,

Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson

8 hours ago, SimSlim said:

I've been enjoying the NGX for several years now but there is an annoying event that occurs at what so far seems to be random times. I've searched the forum repeatedly for this problem but I see no mention of it yet.  I'm using FSX-SE on Win 10. 

Here the problem, occasionally, when I select a saved NGX flight with a fully setup FMC flight (while starting the sim fresh or after just completing another flight), right at the beginning of the 18 second countdown the plane will begin to flip about wildly on the tarmac, usually about the pitch axis, and of course a crash is detected and the flight starts over.  On the second go it usually stays put but the entire panel state is lost and all work that went into it is gone.   If I close and restart the sim the same wild flip crash will again happen for that saved flight.   

These crashing saved flights only occur once and a while (maybe 25% of the time) and many times I can save a flight and open it later with no problem.   I haven't been able to determine what might be wrong but I suspect it is something that I can adjust if I just knew where to start.  I have Saitek Pedals and Yolk but the problem occurs whether they are connected or not.  I'm really at a loss and I was hoping to get some insight from the knowledgeable users here.  One thing I haven't done is uninstall and re-install the NGX.

Thanks for you help,

Eric Anderson

Eric you wrote

"after just completing another flight" . If you try to load another PMDG flight on top of the existing one, switch between PMDG liveries or PMDG planes such thinks will happen, You need to make sure that you are loading the saved flight from the select flight screen showing the default trike with a clean FSX start.

So if you finish a flight and want to load a new one, load not start another segment, then again you need to restart FSX completely an load the flight from the select flight screen

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

This will happen again once I close the sim and then open it again fresh and select that flight (with trike at start) that had previously just "flipped" in the prior session.  So it appears that once it has occurred, the file itself is permanently corrupted even though I never took the steps to save it.  Does that sound correct?

Eric Anderson

4 hours ago, SimSlim said:

This will happen again once I close the sim and then open it again fresh and select that flight (with trike at start) that had previously just "flipped" in the prior session.  So it appears that once it has occurred, the file itself is permanently corrupted even though I never took the steps to save it.  Does that sound correct?

Eric,

I'm confused.

In your first sentence, you state that you select a flight that had previously just flipped (implying a save of that), but in your second to last sentence, you state that you never took the steps to save it. Can you clarify your meaning/steps here?

Additionally, in the picture, it looks like you have custom scenery. Is it only occurring at these airports, or is it also at the default ones? Do keep in mind that Orbx themselves state that you need to run their Vector Elevation tool every time you install new scenery (particularly airports).

13 hours ago, SimSlim said:

Yolk

Yoke, by the way...and I say that to help ensure that you're being delivered accurate data/results if you needed to search the term. Yolk will probably give you a bunch of irrelevant cooking stuff, and only a handful of misspelled sim/flight posts. Yoke will get you what you're looking for if you ever need to search it.

Kyle Rodgers

Yeah, yoke, I'm a RW pilot and I just had a brain fart.  This behavior happens when I have the NGX open and I switch to a "new" FSX flight (which is in this case a previously saved NGX flight from an entirely different FSX session).   I get it now that the flipping may be first triggered because I loaded a "new" (previously saved) NGX flight without closing and restarting the sim.   When the flipping occurs, it is completely out of my control and I can make no change to the settings or the sim in any way. No save has taken place from my interactions, so no, I did not Save. It simply flips, crashes and restarts (flight restart, not sim).  On restart the saved FMC info is gone.   So I close the FSX and then restart it (sim restart) and, expecting that Saved flight to be ok, I open it.  But it flips again.   So I'm looking for confirmation, did the flipping "action" somehow then get embedded in the saved flight even though I took no action to save it when it started flipping at that point?

I'm expecting the answer to be yes.  The file gets permanently corrupted (saved w/o user interaction) when it flips and the flipping is not merely a one-time in-Sim response to the dynamic action of loading another PMDG flight on top of the existing one.    

Happens at all types of airports, default and add-on and I perform the Vector Elevation process when new airports are added.  

Thanks.

Eric Anderson

27 minutes ago, SimSlim said:

This behavior happens when I have the NGX open and I switch to a "new" FSX flight (which is in this case a previously saved NGX flight from an entirely different FSX session).   I get it now that the flipping may be first triggered because I loaded a "new" (previously saved) NGX flight without closing and restarting the sim.   When the flipping occurs, it is completely out of my control and I can make no change to the settings or the sim in any way. No save has taken place from my interactions, so no, I did not Save. It simply flips, crashes and restarts (flight restart, not sim).  On restart the saved FMC info is gone.   So I close the FSX and then restart it (sim restart) and, expecting that Saved flight to be ok, I open it.  But it flips again.   So I'm looking for confirmation, did the flipping "action" somehow then get embedded in the saved flight even though I took no action to save it when it started flipping at that point?

The flipping is caused by reloading the flight within the same sim session. The NGX can only be loaded once. The sim isn't stable enough to handle it being loaded multiple times.

It's literally impossible for it to be saved into the flight, with one exception...kind of. Are you loading the "Previous Flight" flight? If so, that one automatically saves on sim exit, so you aren't personally saving it, but the sim is.

29 minutes ago, SimSlim said:

Yeah, yoke, I'm a RW pilot and I just had a brain fart

Got it. Sorry for all the extra lines, but when I correct people (for the reasons listed), I usually catch commentary from the peanut gallery.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers