Sign in to follow this  
Alberto Zanot

Really, who uses dynamic lighting?

1 hour ago, Alberto Zanot said:

What is the caveat?

Slait's caveat is that he's running at 4k, which allows him to use the lower AA settings (MSAA) that do not have an impact on the performance of dynamic lighting.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Aaron.

Using a 4K or 2K monitor with a higher end graphics card allows for low to medium MSAA settings and this makes all the difference in graphics performance. I have dynamic lighting on day & night and don't see a big fps hit.

Most of the P3Dv4 performance issues reported on AVSIM have to do with using SSAA. The investment I made in my monitor and graphics card is well worth avoiding the headaches of SSAA and achieves a similar graphics experience.

Ok i see.

But, does anybody have noticed that with DL enabled the airplanes' landing lights at night do not illuminate ground enough? Just a very faint light, useless.

EDIT: Please, this post is about visual effect of DL and how they look like. It is not about performance or MSAA, SSAA or whatever.

I use it as well - with no issues and performance penalties.

Personally I think it's an amazing contribution to the simulator.

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Just now, Anders Bermann said:

As do I.

4 minutes ago, Alberto Zanot said:

EDIT: Please, this post is about visual effect of DL and how they look like. It is not about performance or MSAA, SSAA or whatever.

You should have made this clear first ...

• Upvote 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

2 minutes ago, Alberto Zanot said:

But, does anybody have noticed that with DL enabled the airplanes' landing lights at night do not illuminate ground enough?

Not sure what your question is about or if you're just ranting?  But many people use DL, I do and I know many others do.  How well the lights illuminate depends on the aircraft and the developer of the aircraft.

and more 

I love how GSX service vehicles use DL, makes for a great visual feast.

Cheers, Rob.

No ranting. 

"how developers make use of"... 

This is exactly the point. 

With default stuff they just do not look as intended. 

Another happy DL user here !

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

11 minutes ago, Alberto Zanot said:

"how developers make use of"... 

Personally I use it the best way posible in order to increase the level of immersion and simulation experience for any end user, of course I run a lot of tests to ensure it will not cause any major performance problems, but in any case I always ensure that you can use my add-on's without dynamic lighting enabled in case this is the user preference, however eye candy effects will fallback to 2D textures only and would not work as fully intended. 

The feedback I get from my customers is that they would rather reduce their simulator settings like shadows, resolution, anti-aliasing and many other settings in order to fully enjoy dynamic lighting under P3D V4 and above.

Best Regards,
Simbol

49 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

It is amazing.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I'm confident Lockheed will figure out how to speed things up.  Laminar Research was already doing dynamic lighting with XP and there is virtually no FPS difference between day and night scenarios.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I do. With an ancient Radeon R9 290

I also use FSL Spotlights to create better cockpit lights (Dome lights, ambient lights etc) and also to create landing/taxi lights that truly illuminate the ground.

Juan Ramos