Sign in to follow this  
DavidV935

REX Sky Force 3D

I just purchased REX Sky Force 3D this past weekend and have encountered an issue I don't know how to resolve. First, let me say that I use FSX w/ SP2 on an average PC with an i5 processor 3.3GHz, 16GB system RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 video card with 2GB RAM. Installation was not intuitive since their README is incorporated into their installer, so you can't read it before you attempt installation. After going to their website forum for help, I learned that anyone who purchases this software MUST disable your anti-virus software BEFORE beginning installation, and must add the program folder to the Exceptions list in your AV settings. If you don't, your AV will forceably stop REX from installing or working after installation. I discovered and downloaded and installed their Hotfix 1. I also discovered the hard way after installation, that when you run FSX and you select the weather component for your flight, you MUST select "Weather Themes" at the top left, and then find "REX" in the list of themes. If you select anything else, the REX weather will not come into your flight environment (I think). This wasn't mentioned in the README file, so I didn't even think to look for it and selected my usual Real Weather Updates every 15 minutes.

Once installed, I discovered the new cloud formations are pretty fantastic - especially the cumulus and cumulo-nimbus. I did several flights picking places in Europe or USA with active showers or storms and loved the transitions from low to high through rain clouds and descent back from high to low through reasonably thick cloud layers. I especially like the reduced visibility at the surface for fog or haze associated with winter storms.

Now the problem: I discovered the winds do not import into FSX properly. I believe the surface winds are accurate, but once you take off, winds aloft are not imported and updated as you change altitudes in your climb, cruise, or enroute descent. Additionally, while my Indicated Air Speed on my B737 was 300, my TAS remained very close to IAS and my Ground Speed was only affected by the initial surface wind speed. Example: while cruising at FL330, IAS = 300; TAS was only 290, and GS showed only 289 (IAS minus surface wind speed of 11kts). That's not possible. TAS and GS should have been up around 475-525. The impact is that your flight takes a lot longer because your ground speed is only 300 instead of 500. I don't know whether this is one problem or two problems. When I reflew that flight in FSX using the same B737 without using REX, I got normal TAS and GS at all altitudes.

I've posted these observations in the REX forums, so I'm hoping REX staff recognizes what the issues are and puts out another Hotfix.

• Upvote 1

David

I noticed the same issue on P3Dv4.1 as well.

• Upvote 2

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

HI DAVID i take some screen in NGX for your comments i'm in P3Dv4.1 and i take-off from LXGB to LEPA just a cliimb and an enroute screen .

You see my speed i open the 3 windows in real MTO weather SF3D

I'm have REXTD + SF + REXSF3D & VFX and that all .

AMD9590FX-8giga RAM2400 Mhz-GTX 980TI gigabyte G1 - Crosshair V formula Z.

2018-1-14_22-31-57-45126390.jpg
2018-1-15_4-34-29-147.jpg
2018-1-15_4-40-25-319.jpg
2018-1-15_4-46-49-146.jpg
2018-1-15_4-50-37-147.jpg

See you

Patrick

I experienced the same two problems with FSX:SE / Eaglesoft Citation X 2.0.

Hopefully a hotfix will solve it.

Hi David,

Concerning airspeeds, I have more or less the same problem that has rendered FSX-SE unuseable since installing Sky Force 3D (which is frankly stunning). Speeds in the sim are set to IAS. In my case, setting the IAS to, say, 320Kn during climb in the Aerosoft A320 (or QW B757 and even the stock FSX B737) is fine, though when reaching cruise the Mach number is only around 0.47. However, if a speed of 0.81 is loaded into the FMS the plane accelerates to 525Kn as shown on the speed tape with overspeed warnings following. Normally the speed tape would show around 260Kn at 0.81 Mach. All is well when REX isn't installed.

Rex needs to fix this soon, as it would appear that I'm not alone with this problem.

On another note, David, I believe the reason REX insists that antivirus must be switched off before install is that the Rexinstaller.exe file conains the virus W32/Mickey.Z.gen!Eldorado, discovered during a routine iolo System Mechanic 2018 scan. What it's doing there is a question that only REX can answer. The following is what I discovered about it (describing Q and not Z, but it's the same virus underneath.) This hasn't been edited. Needless to say I have quarantined it and deleted it.

"W32/Mikey.Q.gen!Eldorado is a virus detected by Microsoft Windows and several Antivirus or Anti-Malware software vendors. This W32/Mikey.Q.gen!Eldorado threat is classified as PUP a Potentially Unwanted Program or PUA a Potentially Unwanted Programs because it inflicts and acts as a malicious threat into your Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 computer system.

W32/Mikey.Q.gen!Eldorado modifies system files, add’s new folders, creates Windows tasks and might shows advertisements on your computer and browser.

W32/Mikey.Q.gen!Eldorado is adware which is bundled using custom installers and dropped on your computer during the installation process. Most users have no idea how this W32/Mikey.Q.gen!Eldorado threat is installed on there computer and what it is, until their Antivirus or Anti-Malware software detects it as a malicious threat or virus."

I definitely want to know what REX has to say about it.

3 hours ago, Ocelotfr said:

definitely want to know what REX has to say about it.

It's not a virus. A number of developers do strange things to their installers (probably to thwart pirates from trying to steal their work) and often virus scanners report this embedded code as a "false positive". That's why the REX website says to turn off your virus scanner during installation. I rarely leave my virus scanner active when either downloading or installing software from a trusted site. Flight1's Garmin GTN gauges will also prompt a similar message.

5 hours ago, Ocelotfr said:

the Rexinstaller.exe file contains the virus W32/Mickey.Z.gen!Eldorado, discovered during a routine iolo System Mechanic 2018 scan.

You can upload the .exe file to https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload where it will be checked by over 60 of the best antivirus apps available. If it shows as clean (or is only flagged-up by a few apps), it's probably safe to assume that it's a false positive. System Mechanic is not really designed as an antivirus or anti-malware app so I'd be less inclined to believe it compared to the results on the VirusTotal web site.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I just purchased Sky Force 3D (previous Essentials user). I did disable virus protection and excluded the Rex folder in AV settings during install. The only way Rex will work with FSX is if I select a random theme on the REX "Quick Start" screen. If I bypass the Quick Start, go into "Themes" and select a Random Theme (from one I have created or any other one), FSX gets stuck after clicking "Fly Now" in FSX, while loading terrain and other data. After a few seconds, it times-out and FSX closes completely. Any hints on this?

Thanks

Brian