Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

New higher resolution Vive info leaked....

So, apparently HTC screwed up and released info on a new Vive being released and then took down the info, but of course, nothing's ever really gone from the internet, once you post it: http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/01/08/htc-vive-pro-leak/

HTC’s new Vive Pro VR device and other details appear to have been leaked ahead of their official reveal.

Originally spotted in an article from the German site VR-Nerds, HTC’s new Vive Pro headset will apparently be revealed fairly soon. The article was published and taken down today, but not before watchful readers spotted it in a Google search and shared an archive link of the original article on Reddit.

Redditor Jaroki shared the findings alongside a Google translation of the original article that detailed the new Vive Pro device and its integrated speakers.

"After the announcement at the weekend follows now as expected the official press release: HTC announces its new headset Vive Pro , which wants to shine with a higher resolution and integrated loudspeakers. There is also a new Vive wireless adapter .

“Vive Pro: Update 1.5 with 3K and speakers

Those looking for a completely new model may be disappointed - but the Vive Pro offers a welcome update - the original HTC Vive remains in the program. The Vive Pro has two OLED displays with a common resolution of 2880 x 1600 pixels, which makes it similar to the Vive Focus from the same company. Overall, the new headset has thus increased by 78 percent resolution and should achieve a much sharper and clearer presentation. For comparison: The "normal" HTC Vive offers 2160 x 1200 pixels.

“A welcome innovation is the integration of speakers, which should increase the comfort significantly. Owners of the old model had to resort to the Deluxe Audio Strap, which should be superfluous in the Vive Pro now. HTC intends to provide information on the availability and price of the new VR headset later.

“In addition, the manufacturer announces the Vive Wireless Adapter for the HTC Vive and HTC Vive Pro, with which you can connect the headset without a cable to the PC. The adapter uses Intel's WiGig technology, unlike TPCast, but you have to be patient for a while. Only in the third quarter of 2018 should the adapter come on the market. Open and exciting the price remains: Although TPCast for the first HTC Viveavailable, but for around 350 € anything but a bargain. Whether the Vive Wireless Adapter can position itself here as a price-breaker remains to be seen. “Whether TPCast with the HTC Vive Pro without (too) large latency problems or even works remains to be seen.”

As the original article indicates, the new Vive Pro device might not include everything that VR users are hoping for in a new device, but it does include several improvements from the original device.

An official reveal from HTC with additional details is expected to come soon.

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Not exactly a Vive user as I own the OR so I can only imagine that Oculus will be needed to release a new product to keep up. I'd be interested in buying the Vive so thats not ruled out. Honestly I dont mind the cord because as a flight simmer, pilots who use headset all have a cord so to me its just another aspect of simulating a real flight.

My little niece (7) likes to paint in 3d using the oculus and pirouettes around the room, making little happy sounds as she creates her masterpieces..... Right until she nearly inevitably gets tangled in, and almost trips over the cord.

Just for that alone, I would consider a wireless kit.

(Kids in vr looks kinda like this...... cords everywhere) :blink:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Ok, Official announcement made: https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/01/08/htc-vive-raises-bar-premium-vr-new-vive-pro-upgrade-wireless-vive-adaptor/

Today in Las Vegas, HTC VIVE™, the leader in room-scale Virtual Reality (VR) announced new hardware upgrades that deliver premium VR experiences to consumers and enterprises with the introduction of Vive Pro and Vive Wireless Adaptor. In addition, the company debuted new improvements in how VR users discover, experience and acquire VR content through a radical redesign of Viveport VR and Vive Video. These advancements deliver on VR users’ desire for higher resolution, improved audio, greater comfort, wireless freedom and immersive content discovery.

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

This is such a relief i was going to buy a vive over the holidays as an impulse purchase and a little voice in my head said wait till CES is over they might release a new version, Came home went online to do some research and seen a few websites mention HTC "Project Oasis", so glad i waited still might hold back until first reviews come online but i think i've staved away from VR for too long now. 

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

i would say its a version with super sampling by default, and you cant go higher because theres no GPU power in the market for now that can handle it...  with a deluxe strap, not a big improvement IMHO

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

13 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

i would say its a version with super sampling by default, and you cant go higher because theres no GPU power in the market for now that can handle it...  with a deluxe strap, not a big improvement IMHO

Not really the way works, as far as I know. 

Supersampling means your computer is already displaying at a larger resolution, then downsampling it to your lower resolution headset.... A brute-force form of AA.

Higher resolution headsets will allow you to actually use less supersampling, and should actually reduce the GPU's workload....

I think.....

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

Agree with HiFlyer, better resolution has nothing to do with supersampling.

However, I guess we can use a supersampling of 1.33 on the current HTC Vive to get a good idea of performance with the Pro version. Basically, if you can't fly with a supersampling of 1.33 with your current gear, stay with the original Vive.

The picture below simulates the rendering of some text at the limit of readability with the current resolution (first half), and with the enhancement of the Pro's resolution (78% more pixels) (second half).

comparaison_vive_vivepro01.png

IMHO, this should bring the resolution vs performance to a sweet spot with the current technology.

Pascal

• Upvote 2

The Vive Pro VR headset's new OLED display is a huge improvement: https://www.pcgamer.com/the-vive-pro-vr-headsets-new-oled-display-is-a-huge-improvement/

By Tuan Nguyen 2018-01-09T20:49:46.8Z

The resolution bump makes for a much clearer picture, and the redesigned headset is also much more comfortable.

The biggest gaming announcement at CES this year is HTC's Vive Pro, a new headset with integrated audio and higher resolution display. I hoped the new headset would bring 4K-per eye to VR, which would've been a huge leap—but that's still a little ways off. Instead, HTC unveiled a 2880x1600 headset, and I wasted no time strapping it to my face.

My first impression was a significant improvement in image quality. You can still see pixels, but the image is far superior to the original Vive and the Oculus Rift. The new OLED display effectively gives you 1440x1600 pixels per eye, making for a much clearer picture.

On paper, the Vive Pro has a 78 percent increase in resolution over the original Vive and Rift. In (virtual) reality, that translates to a truly massive improvement. Effectively, I felt like I was playing in front of a 24 inch 1080p display in real life. The Vive Pro looked good, and immediately sets the product as the number one VR headset to get if you're going to buy one. You just have to wait for HTC to put it on sale.

I played several games, including Evasion by Archiact, which is a first person shooter. Can I still see a screen door, the space between pixels? Barely. The pixels are fine enough now that it doesn't bother me at all. For performance and resolution, the Vive Pro hits the sweet spot in terms of maintaining acceptable frame rates—still 90Hz per eye—and graphics fidelity.

Comfort wise, the Vive Pro has an improved headband and internal headset structure that's more friendly to people wearing glasses. I wear glasses and VR headsets were always a huge problem for me. But the Vive Pro was much easier to put on than the original Vive's elastic straps, and left plenty of room in front of my face where my glasses didn't push up against the Vive Pro's lenses. Overall the head unit still feels slightly front-loaded, but the improved support definitely helps alleviate that issue. It doesn't drag your face downward as badly as the original. I still think the PSVR is the most comfortable headset, but the Vive Pro is a much-appreciated improvement.

Audio is significantly better as well. HTC actually integrated headphones that sound good and feel comfortable, and they're built into the strap system—no more fumbling around for earbuds. The headphones on the Rift are actually amazing sounding, and HTC is now on the same level.

The Vive Pro is really good. The bump in resolution brings it close to being able to replace an actual monitor. I expect that the next high resolution Vive or Rift will be able to replace a monitor completely. To put it bluntly, resolution matters and the Vive Pro makes me want to get back into VR. 

What I don't know is when exactly you'll be able to buy a Vive Pro, but HTC told me "end of Q1." Price is still up in the air. The existing Vive currently costs $600, and the deluxe audio strap—similar to the one integrated into the new Vive Pro—adds another $100 on top of that. $800 or more for the Vive Pro seems like a safe bet.

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

3 hours ago, Pascal_LSGC said:

However, I guess we can use a supersampling of 1.33 on the current HTC Vive to get a good idea of performance with the Pro version. Basically, if you can't fly with a supersampling of 1.33 with your current gear, stay with the original Vive.

OK, I need to correct this:

We can use a supersampling of 1.78 on the current HTC Vive to get a good idea of performance with the Pro version. Basically, if you can't fly with a supersampling of 1.78 with your current gear, stay with the original Vive.

Contrary to what I assumed, supersampling in SteamVR is now a ratio of the number of pixels (the scale has changed some months ago ).

Pascal

A few things to bare in mind...

The Vive Pro won't be availible for a while

When it is availible, initially it will only be availible as upgrade to current vive owners

Only  some time after that it will be availble as a full package

Absolutely no pricing has been announced

The Vive Pro is exactly the same resolution as the Samsung Odyssey WMR

2 hours ago, flibberflops said:

The Vive Pro is exactly the same resolution as the Samsung Odyssey WMR

I actually like the Samsung....... Except that WMR headsets in general still have compatability issues with many existing Vive and Oculus titles, while currently having only a very small ecosystem of their own.

With that in mind, given a choice between A Samsung and an enhanced Vive, I would probably tend towards the Vive.

Devons rig