Sign in to follow this  
Ourgas2

8700k or 7700k for P3D?

Hi all,

I am about for a new computer mainly for P3D.
1. Considering the 8700k. Is there great difference with the 7700k?

2. What m/b would be suitable?

Thanks,

Christos

The main difference is 2 additional cores and if hyper threading is enabled 4 threads more.

Do you do anything additional with your computer? Video encoding or Lightroom/Photoshop or 3D modeling? If so, then the extra cores would be a big boost.

Finally: cost. Do you have a hard limit of cash to spend? A 7700K and appropriate motherboard would be somewhat less expensive.

Check out my signature to see my computer components. I'm very happy with what I have.

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Thanks RichioFly,

I use my computer mainly for flight simulation. Going now to P3D v4.

In this regard, are they differences in performance between gtx 7700k and 8700k?

2 hours ago, Ourgas2 said:

Hi all,

I am about for a new computer mainly for P3D.
1. Considering the 8700k. Is there great difference with the 7700k?

2. What m/b would be suitable?

Thanks,

Christos

Z370 boards for 8700K and Z270 for 7700K. I have an Asus Maximus X Code for my 8700K, haven't installed it yet though.

In terms of performance...

Single core = 1% better

Multi-core = 50% better

You would have to decide how important multi-core is for P3D. 

Overclocks to 5 GHz relatively easy as long as you have the cooling. Deliding recommended for 5 GHz or higher, thus up to 5.2 feasible. 

Here in the UK there's only £30 difference between the 7700K and the new 8700K. So my choice would be the 8700K. No point in buying previous generation when there's so little price difference. 

Z370 boards can be had for all prices. My board was expensive, but you can get a Maximus X Hero for £269. Strix Z370F for £197. Or Asus Prime Z370 for £169.

• Upvote 1

Here's a comparison: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K/3937vs3647

As mentioned, the extra 2 cores/4threads of the 8700K can be useful for P3Dv4 and its addons (the extra cores/threads will be critical for doing the terrain loading work).  Also, the 8700K has 50% more cache... having more cache is never a bad thing no matter what you're using the computer for.  And I'll reassert that the 8700K (delided) is a very good overclocker.

HTH and have fun!

Greg

I just build a new PC in December. I went with the 8700K, MSI Gaming M5 motherboard and EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3.   My system is a beast and runs P3D very well.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I went with an 8700K because I won't be upgrading again for at least 4-5 years.  (I always tell myself that, anyway).  So I buy the latest and greatest consumer-grade cpu.  Plus you never know when the extra cores may help in that time period, or what add-on I might run in the future that may benefit.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

6 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

7700K. Everything I can throw at it. 5ghz at 60c.

Really! 5 GHz at only 60C you say!

Delidded of course, but what cooling?

27 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

No delidding. Dont believe in it. Voodoism. H100 cooler.

What kind of load? Which stress test? Ambient temp?

Important to measure core temp of course, not CPU temp. CPU temp is lower. 

I would love to see some screens of 5.0 on the 7700 at full power and 60C.
Not that I don't believe it, just really interested.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

13 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

7700K. Everything I can throw at it. 5ghz at 60c.

Mmmm..... Really?  I have the 7700k at 5GHz. Delidded, cooled with a FULL custom loop and ambient at only 21c.  Absolutely NO WAY can it do 60c loaded.  If your does, never ever sell it;-)

7 hours ago, PaulGR said:

I would love to see some screens of 5.0 on the 7700 at full power and 60C.
Not that I don't believe it, just really interested.

Awesome Fedex B777 in your sig Paul!  .

As for 5.0 ghz at 60degC, that may be what I call case temp.  Or a really primo piece of silicon. I've seen stranger things.  That reminds me, there used to be a program called "CoreTemp", I will have to look for it again as I move toward overclocking my new machine.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Mace said:

..."CoreTemp", I will have to look for it again as I move toward overclocking my new machine.

Yep, Core Temp is still a great tool.

Greg