Sign in to follow this  
Ourgas2

8700k or 7700k for P3D?

11 hours ago, Mace said:

Awesome Fedex B777 in your sig Paul!  .

As for 5.0 ghz at 60degC, that may be what I call case temp.  Or a really primo piece of silicon. I've seen stranger things.  That reminds me, there used to be a program called "CoreTemp", I will have to look for it again as I move toward overclocking my new machine.

Yep, that was my point above, I asked him that.

CPU temp/Case Temp is measured from a different sensor, just under IHS. Core Temp on the other hand is measured from sensors in the cores themselves and is thus higher.

CoreTemp is still available and widely used, as is RealTemp. 

He hasn't replied of course, which may be telling.  

Hi Guys,

What about the 8600K against the 8700K where the main purpose would be P3D?

Anyone has a feedback about 8600k and P3dv4?

I had a power surge today that murdered my SSD even though I was connected to a UPS.

Got so frustrated as I literally finished tweaking my FSX around a week ago after fresh install.

Said Fek it. No more.

Purchased 8700K, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200, ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 and a 500GB Samsung SSD. Keeping my Old H110 as it runs great.

I shouldn't see some crazy improvement over my 4790K but whatever. Had this setup for over 3 years. Time to move with times :)

I'll drop my old system on ebay to recover something and I'm happy... Well I will be very happy once I move to P3D... but now I have pay the PC first so I will run my good old ancient software for now :D

I'll plan to go 5.0 so will post my findings next week.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

12 hours ago, PaulGR said:

I had a power surge today that murdered my SSD even though I was connected to a UPS.

Got so frustrated as I literally finished tweaking my FSX around a week ago after fresh install.

Two things spring to mind here. The first is to replace your UPS as it obviously didn't do its job of filtering out surges. The second is why didn't you just install a new SSD and rebuild it from your backup (which you do regularly, right)?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Two things spring to mind here. The first is to replace your UPS as it obviously didn't do its job of filtering out surges. The second is why didn't you just install a new SSD and rebuild it from your backup (which you do regularly, right)?

I have this setup since 2015. Apart from using it for FSX I also do plenty of 3D and rendering in Maya. 2 extra cores and faster mem will be a significant upgrade for me.
On top of that I can still get good $$ for my 4790K + memory + MB which makes the swap not that expensive at all.
I don't do OS backups. Reinstall take minutes these days. Not to mention I also have a mac that I work on during my PC downtime so I don't mind doing it this way.

As for UPS yeah. New one on order :)

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

On 19/01/2018 at 5:10 AM, PaulGR said:

Said Fek it. No more.

Purchased 8700K, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200, ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 and a 500GB Samsung SSD. Keeping my Old H110 as it runs great.

I shouldn't see some crazy improvement over my 4790K but whatever. Had this setup for over 3 years. Time to move with times :)

I'll drop my old system on ebay to recover something and I'm happy... Well I will be very happy once I move to P3D... but now I have pay the PC first so I will run my good old ancient software for now :D

I'll plan to go 5.0 so will post my findings next week.

Strange a power surge would damage "just" the SSD and nothing else. The UPS may not have caught it because it wasn't a power surge at all. 

Perhaps just a random SSD failure? What evidence do you have that it was a power surge?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

Strange a power surge would damage "just" the SSD and nothing else. The UPS may not have caught it because it wasn't a power surge at all. 

Perhaps just a random SSD failure? What evidence do you have that it was a power surge?

All the lights at home went off/on/off/on and on the second flash my PC went dark for a moment and when monitors came back everything was frozen and that was it. I was mid flight to CYYZ on my inaugural in new VA. Bad luck.

I did quick windows reinstall on another drive to make sure nothing else died but everything check out besides that one SSD that doesn’t even show up as connected anymore. 

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

On 21/01/2018 at 2:41 PM, PaulGR said:

All the lights at home went off/on/off/on and on the second flash my PC went dark for a moment and when monitors came back everything was frozen and that was it. I was mid flight to CYYZ on my inaugural in new VA. Bad luck.

I did quick windows reinstall on another drive to make sure nothing else died but everything check out besides that one SSD that doesn’t even show up as connected anymore. 

Oh okay. Power surges can indeed occur when the power comes back on after a power cut. 

Very surprised your UPS didn't catch it. What make was it by the way? And just the SSD  is weird. Perhaps it was the weakest link, a bit dodgy anyway.

Power surges sometime scramble BIOS / UEFI settings. It might have changed the settings so it couldn't see the drive. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Well, first impressions are optimistic.
Still little unstable mostly due to ASRock and XMP profile which has some issues according to forums.
Most that I am happy about are the temps. At idle I'm at 26C. I'm now thinking 5.1 or 5.2 even if I get lucky.
I'm cooling it with a H150i.

YnJZbQB.jpg

G6ao2Ct.jpg

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Just finished installing my Maximus X Code and 8700K.

Cooling with a Noctua NH-D15S, fitted with the new Chromax black heat sink covers and Chromax black fan. No OC yet, but Cinebench is running at 52C. I have delidded. 

Case is the Phanteks Evolv Toughened Glass.... looks fantastic. 

More software to install and then hopefully I can dive into the overclock. 

8 hours ago, PaulGR said:

BTW. if somebody doesn't know you can purchase extra protection for your CPU and then go bonanza on OC.
I'm in the process of testing 5.1. I really like this chip.

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Yep, Have purchased the Intel Performance Tuning Plan in the past. What it tells is that overclocking modern CPU's on modern boards is relatively safe and it's hard to kill a CPU. If it weren't then Intel would be prepared to over us an overclocking warranty.

I'm delidded though, so no point in the plan for me. 

8 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yep, Have purchased the Intel Performance Tuning Plan in the past. What it tells is that overclocking modern CPU's on modern boards is relatively safe and it's hard to kill a CPU. If it weren't then Intel would be prepared to over us an overclocking warranty.

I'm delidded though, so no point in the plan for me. 

I was thinking about it too but at this point I settled for stable 5.0 with 1.312 VCore and temps under 70C. 32GB 3200 mem stable as well so I'm happy with how it turned out.
If it works like this for few months then I might delidd and then try to kick it into 5.3.

Reinstalling FSX tonight. Miss my birds :)

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png