Sign in to follow this  
Ourgas2

What graphic card specs needed for a 4K monitor?

Hi all,

I am planning to go for a 4K monitor.

What graphic card specs are esential in order to have a good monitor display?

Thanks,

Christos

Some will say at least a GTX 1080, but I have a MSI GTX1070 Gaming X that is more than good enough for me.

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

I only have an ASUS GTX660TI and it works great with my LG49" 4K monitor. Obviously I do not have all the sliders to the full right, but still have between 15 and 30 fpm at 4096x2160 and decent quality of plaes and sceneries.

Obviously I prefer to install a NVIDIA GTX1080TI, but the current prices are totally insane. Manufactureres of the graphic boards installed with Nvidia chips to my opinion misuse the current market conditions. In addition there is NO competition as all suppliers only offer at premium price levels.

For 4k a 1080ti works best! I wouldn't get anything less than a 1070. I run 4k and in P3D v3 I had a 1060 and it worked fine but as soon as I moved to V4 it had a hard time performance wise and I had to turn things down. I went and got a 1080ti and my performance is the best its ever been. If you want to use the Texture_Size_Exp tweak ( I highly recommend) you will need it. Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

1070 was fine for me with 4K..... until FSLABS adopted dynamic Lighting!!!!! That requires a 1080Ti and more....

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

No one is giving any real information in this thread except super vague and super subjective one liners.

First off, what performance are your expecting? Also, with said performance, what are your intended graphics settings?

I had a 970 on 4k at one point and it performed quite well....until I through any type of weather in the mix.  I mean seriously any thing other than a normal fair weather day. I had to turn down a lot of my graphic settings to get anything higher than 25fps. I had to turn ever option down to mid settings and turn ASN cloud layers down to 1 layer. I took a huge graphical hit. 

If you want a solid experience with the same settings you currently run in 1080p, you most likely will need a 1070 at a MINIMUM. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that holds you back a little bit. 

I currently have a 1080ti. When I first dropped thst into my rig, I had it paired with a 2700k and using p3d v3. It was after this install that I could bump up my settings again to what they were at 1080p.

On p3d v4 with a 8700k OCed, dynamic lighting still brings me down into mid 20s at some airports. However, as long as I keep the draw rang on ASv4 down to 90sm with 5 layers, I have great performance with all sliders to the right and shadow draw to the max....including terrain shadows.

I use fxaa and 4xmsaa anti aliasing. 

I also use the live traffic from pxseecon traffic guy.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

2 hours ago, Ourgas2 said:

What is the Texture_Size_Exp tweak?

Increases landclass texture resolution to 1024 which makes terrain in the distance seem much more realistic to view perspective.  It will do nothing for photoreal scenery, only landclass (i.e. Orbx FTX Global and Regions will work very well, but unfortunately PR scenery no change).  I did inquire with LM why PR was not changed by this setting and they seemed to believe it was a limitation on how the source PR scenery was created ... personally I'm not so sure that's issue with PR.  So if you fly PR exclusively, this setting will not be of any benefit.

[Terrain]

HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

Values 9 or 10 require HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1

Value of 10 requires a GPU with more than 8GB VRAM (I've used upto 11.2GB VRAM in some situations).  Other than VRAM usage, I haven't notice any FPS differences on my systems.

Cheers, Rob.

13 hours ago, Ourgas2 said:

What graphic card specs are esential in order to have a good monitor display?

For a 4K monitor I'd make sure it supports 30Hz as well as it supports 60Hz (these are usually TV's based on HDMI 2.0x connections).  All simulators run 8bit per color channel so a 10bit or 12bit per color channel monitor is not critical unless you watch 10/12bit 4K UHD movies.  Assuming your expectations are for the best, then I'd recommend a 1080Ti.  If you plan to do additional shadow quality tweaks (beyond the texture size tweaks) then I'd suggest a TitanXP (as you'll need that extra 1GB VRAM).

If you like Dynamic Lights then the 1080Ti and TitanXP performed considerably better than my 1080 and 970.  Definitely NOT suggesting these are the only options, this is just my experience with what I have used.

Cheers, Rob.

Sorry for being vague. I am trying to post links to my settings.

Hans

This is giving me a rather solid 30fps on a 4K display with a 980ti. Hope that helps.

PS: That's for photo scenery, no autogen needed. 

Hans

I know it's slightly off-topic but I can never see why anyone would have lens flare selected in a flight sim. Quite apart from the small performance hit it gives, you don't see the effect as a real-world pilot - it's only visible through a camera lens so it's not realistic (unless you're watching a video taken from inside a cockpit, of course).

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 1/9/2018 at 6:12 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

For a 4K monitor I'd make sure it supports 30Hz as well as it supports 60Hz (these are usually TV's based on HDMI 2.0x connections).  All simulators run 8bit per color channel so a 10bit or 12bit per color channel monitor is not critical unless you watch 10/12bit 4K UHD movies.  Assuming your expectations are for the best, then I'd recommend a 1080Ti.  If you plan to do additional shadow quality tweaks (beyond the texture size tweaks) then I'd suggest a TitanXP (as you'll need that extra 1GB VRAM).

If you like Dynamic Lights then the 1080Ti and TitanXP performed considerably better than my 1080 and 970.  Definitely NOT suggesting these are the only options, this is just my experience with what I have used.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

I have a 1080Ti (8700K new build) and want to get a 4K TV for P3D v4.  Not sure of size yet but say 46 to 51" range.  What I don't understand are the potential pitfalls....if any. I know the 4K TV allows you to use lower AA settings (or maybe turn them off, not sure?).  Does it impact performance of the sim?

What is the reason for 30Hz and 60Hz....right now I run unlimited framerates, can you still do that with a 4K TV and get good performance?

sorry lots of questions but I really don't understand this part of the hardware and want to go in with my eyes open.  thanks.!

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000