Sign in to follow this  
Skywatcher

When did REX go?

Do they not sell their FS9 products anymore?

I was looking for a price for a friend and it's gone. Not on their site any longer and pages for other places to purchase are no longer valid like simMarket. It's also another FS9 weather program gone.

Mark Daniels

I am not clear about the need for support from the producers of this type of software after the purchase.  I use REX for their excellent textures, but turned to ASE (Active Sky) for their far more accurate weather engine.  Neither of these products is currently supported by the authors, yet both work as well as they ever did in fs9.  ASE's management came out with a statement that they would not provide support any longer, but would allow the app to function.  I assume this means that there is some kind of server interaction required to run the app.  

Does REX's discontinuation of sales mean that their app won't be providing real-time weather to fs9 users of their weather engine? I'm assuming that the textures are unaffected by this action.

18 hours ago, domvc10 said:

:mellow:

I almost bought it towards the end of the year as I needed a new weather program and it was on sale so I am glad I didn't then. I went for FSGRW in the end and it is very good http://www.pilots.shop/cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=253b8b5c-0a91-4935-8d01-b3c70aee6034

Shame to see another product drop for FS9 though.

FSGRW from everything I have read is very good. I clicked your link just to take another look as it is likely where we will all head eventually for weather. So I take a look and hey, what ya know! Found something a little worrying! In the past one FSRGW product did all the sims. However, now one product does the old sims while another does P3Dv4 and XP. There's your first sign FSGRW may very well be splitting their product into 2 and are already carrying a current/discontinued mindset.

Geeeez, these developers can try but they will not break me! I'll forever be using FS9 even if I'm the last man standing! lol

Mark Daniels

On 1/13/2018 at 9:55 AM, Skywatcher said:

So I take a look and hey, what ya know! Found something a little worrying! In the past one FSRGW product did all the sims. However, now one product does the old sims while another does P3Dv4 and XP. There's your first sign FSGRW may very well be splitting their product into 2 and are already carrying a current/discontinued mindset.

Geeeez, these developers can try but they will not break me! I'll forever be using FS9 even if I'm the last man standing! lol

:biggrin: Yes I did notice that too and was a little concerned. The good thing is the FSX version is the same as FSX and P3DV3 so hopefully that gives us a good amount of time to enjoy the product. Fingers crossed as that is the last weather engine out there with support for us I think.!

On 1/12/2018 at 7:07 PM, forkedtail said:

Does REX's discontinuation of sales mean that their app won't be providing real-time weather to fs9 users of their weather engine? I'm assuming that the textures are unaffected by this action.

Good question! for AS6.5 the servers were running for quite some time after support officially stopped ASE seems like it will have server access for some time still. For REX it depends where and how REX gets weather data, if it's from the REX servers it could be a matter of time. I just took a look at their website, there is an FS9 forum there but you have to be a customer to use it. Would be interesting to know.

I'm a customer of REX for fs9, and when I log into their forum it appears that no further posts are beings accepted regarding anything fs9.  Some of the posts regarding installation issues are there for reference only.  I did not see one word stating that fs9 was discontinued, even though it clearly is not being offered for sale.  Poof! 

I will try the REX weather engine, as it is snowing here at the moment.

Edit: The REX weather engine is working a/o 1/15/18, although the ASE depiction of the same out-the-window conditions is much more real-world. In my case the airport reporting the weather is about three miles from my computer location.