Sign in to follow this  

REX Sky Force 3D all 22 cloud sets

Ever wondered if having 22 cloud texture sets makes a real difference or if just a few are enough? Or which cloud set from REX Sky Force would be a good one to start with? Here is a rather random situation, obviously one with a few clouds in it (with thanks to Active Sky historical weather), which show all available cloud sets from REX Sky Force 3D. Of course different weather and time of day would make things look totally different, let alone different structures, but at least this gives you a change to see how at least these kinds of clouds compare to each other when it comes to sharpness, fluffiness (is that a word?), detail, the edges, etc. etc. etc. The screenshots are in order from 1 to 22. Number 21 and 22 share the same cirrus as 20 because there are 'only' 20 cirrus textures.

Good luck searching for the differences! :happy:

1a0952.jpg

2e673d.jpg

30fef7.jpg

44f3aa.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Edited by Guest
Removed last two screen shots per rules

This is getting tiresome.

• Upvote 2

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

51 minutes ago, J van E said:

Ever wondered if having 22 cloud texture sets makes a real difference or if just a few are enough? Or which cloud set from REX Sky Force would be a good one to start with? Here is a rather random situation, obviously one with a few clouds in it (with thanks to Active Sky historical weather), which show all available cloud sets from REX Sky Force 3D. Of course different weather and time of day would make things look totally different, let alone different structures, but at least this gives you a change to see how at least these kinds of clouds compare to each other when it comes to sharpness, fluffiness (is that a word?), detail, the edges, etc. etc. etc. The screenshots are in order from 1 to 22. Number 21 and 22 share the same cirrus as 20 because there are 'only' 20 cirrus textures.

Hi

It would be interesting to see the same situation with ASCA ?

Thanks

Denis

Edited by cmpbellsjc
Removed excessive photos quotes

52 minutes ago, J van E said:

Please review screen shot posting rules below. No more than 20 shots per post. Any additional shots need to go into a new thread. I’ve removed the last two.

https://www.avsim.com/page/AVSIM Pages/screen_shot_rules.html

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sky Force cloud files are mapped on the fly with different cloud types and different models. A static screenshot will never show any major differences (especially from looking up under the bases), since we double the mapping. Sky Force is about immersion with different weather scenarios and situations, not just static examples. The Sky Force textures/cloud model structures/mapping/synching, you can experience endless variation and differences with varying metar on the fly.

• Upvote 3

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

There are actually 44 'sets', not 22. Each set is doubled for less repetition of clouds and adds more variation in any given realtime scene. Also, doing it this way doesn't allow for the cloud bases to repeat endlessly in the distance. A first in this genre? Yes.

:happy:

• Upvote 2

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

The daily Sky Force thread from Jeroen, I see.

Nice change of pace, I suppose, from the wing flex and split scimitars of the PMDG 737 daily requests.

Thank you Jeroen, the screen shots are excellent. It helps me decide if I want to purchase this...my eyes go to the building and falling Cumulus clouds I see above the right wing. Very nice...

• Upvote 1

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

8 hours ago, speedyTC said:

This is getting tiresome.

I think some of you are taking this the wrong way... Which I can understand after all my posts about Sky Force. But I wasn’t being sarcastic or negative here! I was simply and honestly trying to help people to decide how those cloud set compare and which one you might like to start flying with. As I said in the OP already: “Of course different weather and time of day would make things look totally different, let alone different structures”. Do you honestly think I would take the effort of loading 22 cloud sets into the sim, loading a saved situation, taking screenshots and uploading them all here just to bash a product...? Well, LOL, maybe you do think I am crazy enough to do that, haha, but that’s not the case. 

Now I FINALLY got SF working I am happy with what it shows me. My skies look awesome. I am seeing skies I’ve never seen before in my sim. So yes, these screenshots don’t show all possibilities of SF but that wasn’t the point. Not at all.

On purpose I did not say what I think of SF right now to keep things objective but I see now that was a bad decision: with my recent posting history anything I say without my current view on it would be taken in a negative way, of course. And obviously my little joke “Good luck searching for the differences!” didn’t help. But again, I am not bashing SF in this topic. I actually and honestly like it. And as it is now I even recommend it! 

can  we  finally put  this  to bed  J   :)  by the  way  nice  pics  ,  where  are  the  2  missing  one:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

9 hours ago, J van E said:

...Good luck searching for the differences! :happy:

I have very little experience in making cloud textures. I can tell you with confidence that any textures from any author in your static example will have small differences, since with all the variety of clouds there are certain general rules for their manufacture and construction. For example, textures should correctly display an overcast. The features of the simulator also do not allow manufacturers to vary the size and density of textures in large limits.

Gennadiy

11 minutes ago, kiwi_biplane said:

I can tell you with confidence that any textures from any author in your static example will have small differences 

8 hours ago, rstough said:

A static screenshot will never show any major differences (especially from looking up under the bases)

8 hours ago, timest said:

Each set is doubled for less repetition of clouds and adds more variation in any given realtime scene.

EXACTLY. And obviously. These screenshots don't show what the textures are capable of. In any other situations the screenshots would look totally different. Perhaps completely incomparable. But what it DOES show is the difference between sets in ONE given situation.

If I took a screenshot of every set in a different situation the differences would be HUGE. But those differences would mainly be due to the weather, structures, time of day, light, etc. and hardly due to the textures.

The only way to COMPARE textures sets is to show them in the exact same situation otherwise you can't compare them at all. :happy:

Just don't understand, Why gives all the sets but require us to manually pick one and installed in the simulator. In this way, I don't think lot of people would have the time to try and test each of the sets under multiple scenarios . Even they do try testing every sets, can they actually remember which set is better looking than others. Why can't SF work like ASAC to automatically select the textures from all the texture sets in one folder. 

J van E

whats you pta settings those pics showing skyforce3d are nice and bright 

can you upload your pta.ini file please ??

thanks harry